Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-22-2020, 10:27 AM   #21
Administrator

Around here, they have speed tables, which are wider and flatter, but work better at making people slow down.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2020, 12:12 PM   #22
gone traveling

We been through is my gated HOA. While there are many reasons not to have speed bumps, looking at the picture you posted, I am shocked your community has a 15 MPH speed limit. Perhaps the roads with denser homes could be that way, otherwise I would think 25 MPH would be OK.

Personally, I would not want to live in a community that is like a supermarket parking lot. Those bumps can cause vehicle damage, make unnecessary noise when driving over one, can tear up your roads/expensive to maintain, and the speeders will continue to speed between them anyway, possibly even at higher speeds.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:51 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I live in a one block gated community, and for 2 years the HOA attempted to address the complaints of some very vocal members who campaigned for installing 4 sets of speed bumps on our street. The speed limit posted at the entrance gate is 15 mph. First, the HOA sent out a survey and found a majority did not want speed bumps. The vocal minority demanded more action. So the HOA paid for 2 sets of speed strips set in place for 1 or 2 weeks and took an average of the speeds. The average speed was 17 mph, and the HOA dropped the issue. Now I admit, whenever I passed over the speed strips, I slowed waaay down to decrease the average. I really did not want speed bumps.

The vocal minority continued to express outrage. So the HOA posted really big speed limit signs on every lamp post on our street (about 8 signs). I admit the signs did help me to check my speed and probably did help.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 05:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
In Florida speed bumps aren't as much of a necessity since our speed bumps are mobile. Outsiders call them alligators.
Or armadillos. : )
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 05:49 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

They threatened to put speed bumps in our community, but the residents were outraged and managed to convince folk that it would impact our property prices. Thank goodness as I personally detest them. Funny that after the meeting there were a lot less complaints, so folk got the idea. There are very few kids in our development, so it is not them. Mainly visitors I think.

For the record, our speed limit is 25mph and reasonable.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:11 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by swakyaby View Post
I live in a one block gated community, and for 2 years the HOA attempted to address the complaints of some very vocal members who campaigned for installing 4 sets of speed bumps on our street. The speed limit posted at the entrance gate is 15 mph. First, the HOA sent out a survey and found a majority did not want speed bumps. The vocal minority demanded more action. So the HOA paid for 2 sets of speed strips set in place for 1 or 2 weeks and took an average of the speeds. The average speed was 17 mph, and the HOA dropped the issue. Now I admit, whenever I passed over the speed strips, I slowed waaay down to decrease the average. I really did not want speed bumps.

The vocal minority continued to express outrage. So the HOA posted really big speed limit signs on every lamp post on our street (about 8 signs). I admit the signs did help me to check my speed and probably did help.

I don't understand. How can a "one block" community have traffic issues?
GreenEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:37 AM   #27
gone traveling

Usually the residents that demand speed bumps have kids that ride bikes, and play in the street. It always amazes me how many of these parents refuse to spend time teaching their kids how to be safe riding their bikes or playing outside. In many cases, I see the adults standing around while their kids ride or run out right in front of cars and yet the parent says nothing. When I grew up we played in the street all the time, and when a car came, everyone would yell car and then all moved to the side of the street. Common sense seems to be outdated nowadays.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:16 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEggs View Post
I don't understand. How can a "one block" community have traffic issues?
There is a gate at both ends of this single private street, and some homeowners complain that there are speeders going through the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Usually the residents that demand speed bumps have kids that ride bikes, and play in the street.
Yes, I believe the vocal minority are parents of children that are allowed to play in the street. The parents successfully convinced the HOA to provide any homeowner who requested them a free yellow pedestrian statue "children at play" to keep inside their garage. Then, annoyingly, they would place these signs right in the middle of the street in the afternoon so cars would have to maneuver around them. Sometimes, I would see the sign in the street, but no children or homeowner in sight.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:37 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

In our 55+ community the golf carts are allowed to go the legal speed limit of 20 mph on the same streets as autos. So perhaps the 15 mph speed limit is unrealistically low. With so little traffic and so few that are "excessively" speeding i wouldn't bother with speed bumps. Besides they are really rough on a golf cart suspension.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:27 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I detest speed bumps that force you to go slower than the posted speed limit. Near me, there are speed "hills" that force drivers to drop to 10-15 mph in a 25 mph zone, so everyone slows way down, and then those drivers speed up to 30 or so after the hill. Before they were installed, most folks went 25. And trucks and trailers make a ton of noise going over those things. I hope the residents love it.
StillFiguringItOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:41 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Need to view those little bumps in the road as a driving challenge. If you time it right you can hit the brakes to get a nose dive, then release and accelerate while the nose lifts just as you hit the bump. Done just right there is a real feeling of accomplishment and you float right over the intended impediment.
Old 04-24-2020, 04:01 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Need to view those little bumps in the road as a driving challenge. If you time it right you can hit the brakes to get a nose dive, then release and accelerate while the nose lifts just as you hit the bump. Done just right there is a real feeling of accomplishment and you float right over the intended impediment.
Used to do that all the time with my employer's car. When I try it with DW she panics at the (to her) impending crash.

And I find that the ones they have here have very little effect on the 4WD GMC pickup. I guess it's some combination of suspension travel and wheelbase length. The Honda Accord, with it's more limited suspension travel and shorter wheelbase, feels them a lot more.