Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-23-2022, 08:09 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
This winter, I set the thermostats higher than I did in previous years. Getting old, I guess.

With the mini-splits mounted high due to the vaulted ceiling, when I set their temperature to 77F (25C), the temperature at ground level is 71F (22C) out in the living space, and 74F (24C) in my bedroom. I still wear t-shirt and shorts, and sleep without a cover.

The outdoor low is not too bad at 36F (2C) or higher. My electric bill is going to be $75.

I need to go up to the high-country boondocks home to check it. Low of single digits. High above freezing. My wife is afraid of the cold even for a short stay, so I don't know if I will go alone. Need to check the road condition.
Just got my electric bill. $76. Last year, it was $60.

If it were not for my off-grid solar system helping out, the bill would have been perhaps $130. Still not bad for such a toasty thermostat setting.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2022, 03:41 AM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Some people have never paid a utility bill in their life and it shows. Here it is, the coldest night we've had in several years. Outside temp is around 7-8 degrees. I just paid about $943 last week to fill up the oil. And my housemate, who tends to complain about being cold? Well, he has a hot flash and cracks his bedroom window open!
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 04:25 AM   #143
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Some people have never paid a utility bill in their life and it shows. Here it is, the coldest night we've had in several years. Outside temp is around 7-8 degrees. I just paid about $943 last week to fill up the oil. And my housemate, who tends to complain about being cold? Well, he has a hot flash and cracks his bedroom window open!
I use and recommend LL Bean's "Cozy Cottage Fleece."
Old 12-24-2022, 08:15 AM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tightwad View Post
The difference is you live in a place where one would die with no heat used.

Where I live one doesn't need to turn on the heat in the winter.
Where I live is irrelevant. If it was 53F in my house I would turn the heat on, regardless of the outside temp.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 02:50 PM   #145
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
You must have an oil furnace and/or a mansion? My bill with a natural gas furnace was $130 and that is for gas and electric.
Not quite a mansion, but a stupidly large house. My then-fiancé and I built it 33 years ago, when big lakefront houses were fashionable. I've wished many times we didn't build such a beast. But it's a beautiful place to live so I've stayed here even after ex-DW took a hike.

That $500 bill was for a gas furnace, but like I said, it was nearly 2x the highest bill I EVER had in this house. Gas prices spiked this summer (thanks Vlad), jumping nearly 3x from a year ago. The utility was quick to jack up rates when the prices went up, but they're slower lowering them since gas went down again. I'm looking into installing a heat pump, and possibly solar.
GaryInCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 03:03 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Our total costs, and we are all electric are on average $15 pm more than last year. Not bad really, just a normal nominal increase. We are in Nort East Florida, and we do use Heat on occasion as I hate any temp below 75 Degrees.