Apartment / Portable Ice Makers?

BigMoneyJim

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Does anyone have any experience with small, standalone ice cube makers? I'm an apartment dweller tired of not having one built into my fridge, and I just started googling for something I can put on my counter top.

The major stores don't seem to carry a selection, but they are available by mail. The low end appears to be between $200-$300 with bottom-dwelling prices hitting $150.

If anyone bought one or has a link to consumer ratings I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Bag of ice from the grocery store once a week for a buck will outlast any icemaker...

Next are ya going to be asking about anyone who puts in tequila pipe lines...

I replaced the icemaker in our 10-year old fridge last year. I cost about $90. If you add the valve, that's another $35 I think. So I think you could retrofit your fridge's freezer to have an automatic icemaker for less than $150 including taxes. A place like www.repairclinic.com will sell a whole kit, but after checking prices there, I just went with the local appliance parts store because I didn't want to wait a couple days.

If you don't own your fridge in the apartment, I guess this would not work because you would have to get a water line into the freezer. OTOH many fridge's are already plumbed for an icemaker.

small, standalone ice cube makers

I think they call them "trays".

;)

I knew I guy whose family had a beer tap in the kitchen from a keg in the basement.. late '50s early '60s.  According to him, this was not unusual in Milwaukee. (!?)

I started out ready to pooh-pooh this idea but I went to a site called Compact Appliance, and the device they sell does indeed look pretty.. uhm.. cool! ($239). They have reviews on the site but there is only one for this item; it is 5 stars, though.

If I were on a tight budget but just generally needed more ice than I could make/store in my regular freezer, I might check out their tiny freezer unit, which is only $89. You'd have to use trays and wait, though. If you regularly have impromptu parties where you need a lot of ice right away, I might splurge on the icemaker. In a rented apt., I wouldn't want the responsibility of retro-fitting.. what if the water line leaked or something and caused damage?

I saw a very extensive positive review of another model here, complete with lots of pictures of the device.

My fridge has an ice maker, but we don't use enough ice to even keep it busy.

Back
Top Bottom