Apple Pay/Apple Watch

The fitness angle is interesting and being able to use Apple Pay is a big plus since I own an older iPhone.

With the maybe max 18 hour battery life I do not see much use for it as a health monitor. Fitness angle is kind of faddish to me and there is a lot of lower price products for this all ready. I really don't want to be taking something at this price point and leaving it in my locker at the gym while I am taking a shower or using the sauna.

Even using it just as a plan watch you have to recharge it every couple of days. I see people getting tired of having to remember to recharge it. :flowers:

I'll wait and see on the Apple Watch. I figure at this point it'll be like buying the original iPad or iPhone - how useful are those today? I also think it looks awkwardly thick, but of course I haven't seen one in person yet.

Yes, yes, yes!!! Everyone PLEASE go buy one...it's a REQUIREMENT for a great life!!!

I have never really been a big Apple fan (have only owned an iPod for integration w/ the car, but even stopped using that) but I do love that everyone else LOVES, LOVES, LOVES Apple. And that is why *I* love me some AAPL stock!

I took a long time to finally "bite" the bullet on buying AAPL just because of the "fanboys" out there, but realizing that people just buy the stuff...sometimes for no other reason that to have a NEW Apple product, I figured out I needed to stop being so stingy with the investing pot in regards to AAPL.

As for the watch, I rarely wear one anyway, so even if it was made by Samsung, I wouldn't have one.

As for the watch, I rarely wear one anyway,

When I went grocery shopping yesterday I counted people that were wearing a watch - 3 out of 31. The 3 were older couples (early to late 70s) and the women was wearing the watch and I don't think they would spend that kind of scratch for an AAPL watch. Went to a Vietnam place for lunch did not see anyone wearing a watch but they were texting like mad about something. Amazes me two people having lunch together and they are both talking on the cell phone the whole time.

When I went grocery shopping yesterday I counted people that were wearing a watch - 3 out of 31. The 3 were older couples (early to late 70s) and the women was wearing the watch and I don't think they would spend that kind of scratch for an AAPL watch. Went to a Vietnam place for lunch did not see anyone wearing a watch but they were texting like mad about something. Amazes me two people having lunch together and they are both talking on the cell phone the whole time.

Being retired, I don't have much concern about time...only when it comes to running errands (I have a hard rule of being back home by 2:15, when schools start getting out). Even when I was w*rking, I didn't really have a "set" schedule (unless we were flying, but then it was rarely a "hard time") so there just really hasn't been a reason to have wear watch. Although, maybe if I could figure out how to attach this to my arm: :D

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 4
Well, I think I'm going to be buying an Apple Watch!

Looking at my wrist now, I'm wearing both a wristwatch and a Fitbit bracelet every day, and they take more space together and are still missing a lot of features (like an inactivity alarm).

We watched the presentation yesterday. It will work well for me as I'll probably use both the fitness monitoring features as well as the several of the iPhone/iPad extension features like notifications.

A year ago I didnt think it was something that would interest me.
I wear my Timex Ironman watch on the left wrist and the Vivofit on the right. It has an inactivity monitor (red lines + dashes). It would be great to integrate these two items.

The Timex battery lasts for several years and the Vivofit battery for maybe 1 year. I wouldn't want a unit that has to be charged daily. But I can see how the Apple watch would be attractive to many. Nice colors too.

Will the Apple watch display well in bright sunlight?

It certainly will be interesting to see if it does generate any enthusiasm of any magnitude. I don't wear a watch, but I have never worn a watch my entire life as someone always had the time if I needed to know.
But I freely admit technology companies don't target me. In fact the only reason I do not own a smart phone is I don't want to charge my phone all the time. But when that bigger IPad ever hits the market, I will buy immediately!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's going to be the "must have" fashion statement according to a couple of west coast fashion Gurus. This will be especially true for women. I like it as it reminds me of the Dick Tracy comics days.

Will I buy one given I am allergic to gold? Maybe a sterling silver one if they have it. :D

My AAPL stock is up pretty well since I bought a year or so ago. Carl Ican likes the stock and has been touting $200/share as its value. But who knows?

I think with the bang out quarter Apple will have coming up (Iphone sales way up), the new Mac Book, and the fashion crazed sales of the watch, all will be good for the stock.

I am a believer......DW, DD, & granddaughter all got upgraded Iphones this year and are on StraighTalk!

I wear my Timex Ironman watch on the left wrist and the Vivofit on the right. It has an inactivity monitor (red lines + dashes). It would be great to integrate these two items.

The Timex battery lasts for several years and the Vivofit battery for maybe 1 year. I wouldn't want a unit that has to be charged daily. But I can see how the Apple watch would be attractive to many. Nice colors too.

Will the Apple watch display well in bright sunlight?
Don't know about the sunlight thing.

I don't mind the nightly charging as I take my watch and Fitbit off at night. I don't shower with them on either. So nightly charging is not an issue for me.

This reminds me of the early iPods that went through a lot of iterations to eventually morphed into the iPhone and iPad. That took many years.

All my puts have struck and sold my long position over $5 ago. Technically it broke down @$132.50 on an impulse wave. I will go long again if $119.78 support holds. Just got back from SBUX (drive thru), I asked the girl (probably 19 or 20) that gave my order if she wore a watch, she said she had never owned one in her life.

Now everyone in town must think I have a watch fetish, I been looking at wrists and asking watch related questions since Friday.

Last edited:
It's going to be the "must have" fashion statement according to a couple of west coast fashion Gurus.

Was watching Bloomberg and one dude made a comment in Hong Kong you judged by the watch you wear and walking into a meeting with an AAPL watch will really impress. Stephanie Ruhle just about fall out of her chair laughing. She said "you really think that would close the deal, huh?" :LOL:

I took a long time to finally "bite" the bullet on buying AAPL just because of the "fanboys" out there, but realizing that people just buy the stuff...sometimes for no other reason that to have a NEW Apple product, I figured out I needed to stop being so stingy with the investing pot in regards to AAPL.

I was gathering up tax info for my visit to the CPA this afternoon. I was jotting down the long term gains for my son's custodial account we setup for his college saving:

Original Price (1998): $1.32
Selling Price (2014): $118.21

:dance:

The combination of functions, especially fitness, sounded intriguing.

Then the 18 hour battery life came to light. Ugh!!

My fitbit lasts 10 days. Less than 24 hours is a non-starter for me.

I'm interested, so I'll be watching for new apps as they are developed. My main concern would be my safety when wearing one. I would think they would attract the wrong sort of attention.

Since I can't hear very well, I'm interested in finding out if they vibrate when you get notifications on your phone. My phone would be in my handbag..the watch would notify me via my wrist.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I am not getting the Apple watch. The last thing I need is yet another conduit for people to bug me.

I'm interested, so I'll be watching for new apps as they are developed. My main concern would be my safety when wearing one. I would think they would attract the wrong sort of attention.

Since I can't hear very well, I'm interested in finding out if they vibrate when you get notifications on your phone. My phone would be in my handbag..the watch would notify me via my wrist.

It taps you on the wrist for notifications from what I remember.

I am not getting the Apple watch. The last thing I need is yet another conduit for people to bug me.

I don't intend to allow people to bug me through my Apple watch. It's for personal use only.

The combination of functions, especially fitness, sounded intriguing.

Then the 18 hour battery life came to light. Ugh!!

My fitbit lasts 10 days. Less than 24 hours is a non-starter for me.

My Fitbit only lasts 5 days.

Not going to happen here.

1. I wore a Fitbit for about six weeks. I now know my routines, and have stopped using it.

2. I don't buy $300 watches. I have a $59 Casio solar atomic. It does what a watch is suppose to do. It tells too.

3. Less than one day battery life. My watch seldom leaves my wrist. I sleep, shower, walk, swim, and ... Well you get the picture.

4. I don't want to buy or be locked into An Apple 6 or higher for my watch to work. I figure my 4s has a couple of years left and then it may be android time."or not.

5. I like the looks but I just don't see me buying one.

Back
Top Bottom