Apple Techies - Is this possible?

travelover

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am intrigued about the portion of this article that says that Khashoggi may have recorded his own murder and bluetoothed it to his iPhone and Cloud account. Is this really possible?

An Apple Watch can record audio and can sync that later with an iPhone over a Bluetooth connection if it is close by. The newspaper’s account did not elaborate on how the Apple Watch synced that information to both the phone and Khashoggi’s iCloud account.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/newspaper-says-turkey-has-audio-of-saudi-writers-slaying

"if it is close by"

Seems rather unlikely.

There’s no native way to record audio with the Apple Watch but it appears (using a google search) there are some third party apps that do this. But the news stories mention transmitting the data to the phone outside the building via Bluetooth, but that doesn’t make sense given the limited range. If the watch had LTE maybe it synced to iCloud via cellular, and the phone would have access to the data that way? I dunno, my watch is wifi only and I don’t use any recording app.

I use Bluetooth to connect to devices out in my yard and partway down my street all the time. There would be no problem connect an iPhone outside to an Apple Watch inside.

Embassies usually have lots of concrete walls and reinforced windows to shield occupants and make the facilities safer and more secure. These building materials are notoriously unfriendly to WiFi and Bluetooth signals.

Last edited:
The article mentioned that the Turkish government had the data. This would imply that they have bugged the embassy but don’t want to acknowledge that.

Embassies usually have lots of concrete walls and reinforced windows to shield occupants and make the facilities safer and more secure. These building materials are notoriously unfriendly to WiFi and Bluetooth signals.

Very true. Having w*rked in embassy and consulate buildings I can vouch for this. There was one, back in the 80s, where the Bulgarian "commercial interests section" was right across the street and you would not believe how the roof of their building bristled with every type of antenna imaginable. For some odd reason, they mostly seemed to be aimed in our direction, but I'm sure we were imagining it. :angel:

Anyway, the Apple Watch Bluetooth range is only about 10 meters under average conditions, maybe a little more under ideal conditions.

The article mentioned that the Turkish government had the data. This would imply that they have bugged the embassy but don’t want to acknowledge that.

I think this is the real answer. Very unlikely that a Bluetooth signal would have worked in this scenario.

Back
Top Bottom