Appliances

...The other thing that my parents have that I covet, is a fridge built in the later 40's ( I believe it is a Frigidaire) that they picked up in the 60's. While I was growing up it was the beer/soda fridge in the garage. They still have it. I asked them about it a bit ago and they have never had it serviced or had the refrigerant replaced/refilled...

we moved into our current home in 1988 with our then 8-yr old Montgomery Ward labeled 19cf fridge/freezer. when we remodeled our kitchen 9-yrs ago we moved it to the garage where it remains today still cooling and freezing. bro-in-law uses it when he's visiting and we keep excess stuff in it year round. no service calls ever.

We have had a trusted appliance repairman for the last 17 years. When I've asked him what are the best brands, he won't give an answer.

He says that he works on all brands of appliances because they all require his services from time to time. And the retail market has been consolidated, and the products of today are not high quality items. For example, Maytag and Whirlpool appliance can often be identical since they come from the same assembly line.

Note; He has a Fisher/Paykel washer and dryer at home which is a completely different animal from New Zealand.

We absolutely love the refrigerators with two doors on top, a center drawer and freezer on the bottom. We left one in our last house and are struggling with a Kitchenaid side by side fridge. Now, the prices are so high on refrigerators that we cannot replace our current one. We prefer more simple appliances--without the bells, whistles or built in smart devices.

There is a newer Samsung dryer in the house we just bought. But I prefer the solar/wind dryer, which is free year round in Florida, and much faster too. On the right kind of day, the clothes are ready in 15 minutes, instead of 40!

It depends.
Speed Queen would have been my laundry choice except our replacement timeframe was during a 2-year interval when their products were crap.
So, Miele it was.
Today, Speed Queen front loader would be be an excellent choice.
Dryer is another issue as I am a condensing heat pump aficionado.
Speed Queen and Miele washers are comparably priced. However, I think the Miele TwinDos system is amazing and very useful.

Everyone has their experiences, good and bad. Here's mine, FWIW: we're happy with our LG washer and dryer, but they're only 3 years old or so.

Not as thrilled with our Whirlpool kitchen appliances: dishwasher motor burned out just after warranty, initially a $470 repair. DW made a lot of noise with Whirlpool and they sent us a gift card for half the amount. Kudos to them for doing that, but again they only did so because DW can be very persistent. Our Whirlpool refrigerator door gasket is coming loose in 2 areas and I'll have to replace that. Only 2 years old.

I buy whatever is on sale (cheapest with reasonably good reviews) out of LG, Samsung, Whirlpool and Maytag. No Frigidaire or GE EVER. My take is that appliances only last 10 year these days so I like to reduce my outlay by choosing on-sale products. I NEVER try to repair any appliance that need major parts. I have fixed quite a few times when a sensor/belt/roller/seal, etc. fails. I have several rental homes so I am speaking from my collective experience.

PS: We rehabbed our dream home last year. DW wanted matching appliances so we started with a Samsung set for everything but the drawer microwave (Sharp) in that house. We got lucky that we got all the features and sizes during Samsung promotion last holidays (including a counter depth refrigerator). I wasn't too keen for paying premium for matching appliances but I lucked out. I will go back to my regular routine as and when they break.

Last edited:
DS just bought all new appliances. We went to a local hardware store that has a trained repairman. All appliances are good when they work, and they all break down sometime. He got a mix of LG, Samsung and Whirlpool, whatever the repairman said was the most reliable. They delivered them, installed them, ran them and hauled the old ones away. They even provided a loaner when the stove they picked out was on backorder.

Another thing is availability. What you want may not be available right away, most of these items have a China connection.

I'm waiting for a fridge with a compartment that can be used as a sacrificial freezer, so if one compartment warms up too much, cold air immediately gets pumped into it from the sacrificial freezer once all doors are closed. With the feature off you can use it as a regular freezer. I don't like that refrigerators take so long to cool down.

I guess I would start with Consumer Reports. One thing you learn quickly in that particular source is that a single brand name may not be a good way to choose. You need the model as well.

I have been told by repair folks and one honest appliance dealer we've known for years, MOST of the brands (maybe all) build appliances with much less reliable parts than back in the good old days. Our current Maytag washer is probably 30 years old and still works - though it's had a couple of service calls in 10 years. Many manufacturers have substituted plastic for metal parts which mean they wear out more quickly. Electronics are now more like a PC than a set of relays. Heh, heh, when DW had to break up her parents' household upon their death or entry into LTC, the fridge she saw moved 3 or 4 times over 50+ years was still working. Of course, it wasn't frost free and it probably used a huge amount of electricity compared to the current crop. BUT, it worked as well as the day her parents got it.

It's possible that we will now be choosing between the best of inferior appliances. It seems to be the new appliance business model. Make 'em look "space age" with HAL 9000 computers, but build 'em out of plastic.

Isn't it odd. In the old days, you felt lucky to get 100,000 miles from a new car. Now, you'd be disappointed if it didn't go more like 200,000 miles (assuming proper maintenance.) I guess business models will always change. YMMV

Resurrecting an old thread. Our Kenmore Elite French door frig bought in 2003 bit the dust.

Now off to the appliance store we go....:(

Resurrecting an old thread. Our Kenmore Elite French door frig bought in 2003 bit the dust.

Now off to the appliance store we go....:(

We traded our 2000 model side by side Kenmore by Whirlpool refrigerator for an LG. The fan motor went out and no replacements were available. Local utility paid us $50 and hauled it away.

Another LG user here. Replaced our old Jennair with LG. Really like it.

+1

As for my frig, I have a $699 Sears Kenmore freezer-on-top refrigerator. It meets my needs and keeps the food cold without needing repairs, but otherwise is nothing special. I am of the opinion that the fancier and more fashionable the frig, the more likely it is to need repairs. So, I chose to keep it simple.

Very much MY approach as well: the simpler, the better. I specifically remember that this started in 1990 when we were looking for our first real stereo system (CD player, cassette deck, amplifier, speakers, etc). I walked into the store and asked to be shown the three systems with "the fewest buttons and knobs" because I just wanted to pop in a CD and listen to music, not become a sound professional. Still have (and use) that system to this day. This principle has been my guiding light over the years for appliances, electronics, phones, and cars. Never had any regrets, never felt like I was missing important "features". Heck, on all of these gizmos, I probably use fewer than 10% of the available features. Most everything stays on factory settings throughout.

We traded our 2000 model side by side Kenmore by Whirlpool refrigerator for an LG. The fan motor went out and no replacements were available. Local utility paid us $50 and hauled it away.

You can have my 1996 Kenmore (by Whirlpool) side-by-side w/ icemaker when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!

You can have my 1996 Kenmore (by Whirlpool) side-by-side w/ icemaker when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!

I feel the same way about my 1986 Roper gas range. I bought it new, and it was one step up from the bottom of the line. That's because it had a window in the door and a timer, with a synchronous motor clock. It is the one appliance I have never, ever had to repair. Best appliance ever.

Last edited:
Ended up getting a maytag top freezer model 20.5 cu. inch. Inventory at stores we looked at is very low.

We were between a rock and a hard place. Life without refrigeration is a b^tch.

Ended up getting a maytag top freezer model 20.5 cu. inch. Inventory at stores we looked at is very low.

We were between a rock and a hard place. Life without refrigeration is a b^tch.

I hated to do it, but we recently replaced our fridge - which was still working. We justified replacing a working fridge by this thinking: 1) The fridge was leaking its auto-defrost water - unsightly, but not a big deal on tile floor 2) The unit was rusting before our very eyes (common in the Islands) 3) We figured it MUST be on its last leg (due to age) though it never gave a moments problem in the cooling dept. 4) We ran out of filters for the water/ice-maker :facepalm: 5) We assumed we'd loose all our food before we could replace it - when it finally broke 6) The Clencher: DW wanted a new fridge with the freezer on the bottom. Old one was side by side and difficult to load/unload - heh, heh, 6) was sufficient if you know what I mean.:angel: YMMV

I guess we're blessed or just very lucky. our old fridge in our unheated/cooled garage is 40+ years old and still cooling/freezing like day 1. we use it for overflow. it's an auto-defrost unit placed against an uninsulated outside wall. according to everyone it's not 'sposed to work in winter but it does. :dance:

Last edited:
I feel the same way about my 1986 Roper gas range. I bought it new, and it was one step up from the bottom of the line. That's because it had a window in the door and a timer, with a synchronous motor clock. It is the one appliance I have never, ever had to repair. Best appliance ever.

I've replaced the (~$40) water inlet valve (ice & water) once in the last 25 years.

Mine is the first model year after the efficiency contest...unsurprisingly the winner was a fridge that just added more insulation on the interior.

Energystar.gov's calculator used to allow you to input your exact model number.

Last time I checked I'd save maybe $3/month versus a new fridge cost of $1,000+

I hated to do it, but we recently replaced our fridge - which was still working. We justified replacing a working fridge by this thinking: 1) The fridge was leaking its auto-defrost water - unsightly, but not a big deal on tile floor 2) The unit was rusting before our very eyes (common in the Islands) 3) We figured it MUST be on its last leg (due to age) though it never gave a moments problem in the cooling dept. 4) We ran out of filters for the water/ice-maker :facepalm: 5) We assumed we'd loose all our food before we could replace it - when it finally broke 6) The Clencher: DW wanted a new fridge with the freezer on the bottom. Old one was side by side and difficult to load/unload - heh, heh, 6) was sufficient if you know what I mean.:angel: YMMV

Cheaper to add an external filter on the water line that feeds the fridge.

We put in Whirlpool dishwasher, microwave, and gas stove with convection oven, plus bottom freezer fridge with ice and water in door, 10 years ago. Three have been great, no problems.

The fridge, first the icemaker died. It was replaced and still did not work. Repair guy could not figure it out, we gave up after a while. Later the water in door and all the lights quit working. Sometimes the lights might work for a bit if the power is cut off, then comes back on. Different repair guy said he thought 50/50 it was the motherboard. We are just living with it, and probably won't buy one with icemaker or water in door again. The bottom freezer is great.

I guess we're blessed or just very lucky. our old fridge in our unheated/cooled garage is 40+ years old and still cooling/freezing like day 1. we use it for overflow. it's an auto-defrost unit placed against an uninsulated outside wall. according to everyone it's not 'sposed to work in winter but it does. :dance:

The "not supposed to work in winter" means this: If the garage is below the fridge setting ( ~ 37F?) for a few days, the fridge won't be calling for 'cool'. The freezer is cooled as a sort of byproduct of running to keep the fridge cool, the coils are in the freezer, and air is circulated to the fridge when the compressor is running. There is no separate thermostat for the freezer, the settings for these old style ones is just a flap to balance how much air gets diverted to the fridge vs getting circulated in the freezer.

So your fridge will be fine (but fridge items could freeze if the garage got really cold for long enough), but w/o the compressor cycles, the freezer could get much warmer then the recommended 0F. Of course, if it's that cold in the garage, it would take a long time, if ever, for stuff in the freezer to melt and be obviously warm. But you aren't cooling to the recommended levels for longer term storage. The most common complaint I've heard in this case is that the ice cream is soft.

-ERD50

What brand is it?

I've replaced the (~$40) water inlet valve (ice & water) once in the last 25 years.

Mine is the first model year after the efficiency contest...unsurprisingly the winner was a fridge that just added more insulation on the interior.

Energystar.gov's calculator used to allow you to input your exact model number.

Last time I checked I'd save maybe $3/month versus a new fridge cost of $1,000+

Sounds like you've gotten great service from your 'fridge. I'd keep it. :)

Back
Top Bottom