Appointments at Social Security Office

Buckeye

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This is more of a rant than a question.

Why doesn't the SSA allow appointments for people who need to replace a SS card? I called to get an appointment for my mother. "Nope. Sorry. We are not allowed to make appointments for card replacement."

I could set it up for something else but I can see them booting us out into the lobby to sit in one of the 50 hard plastic chairs for 3 hours when we tell them why we are sitting in front of them.

My mom doesn't do well sitting for extended periods in hard chairs. I stopped by the office the other day at about 2 pm and there must have been 40 people in the lobby. The office is not too far from home so maybe I'll check at different times of the day including right at opening.

She could send them the completed form with her original drivers license but they quote a 30-day turnaround and she doesn't want to be without her only picture ID for up to 30 days.

Stinks!:mad:

What do anyone do with a SS card? I haven't had one for about 45 years.

don, you reminded me to go find my SS card which I did. It's tucked away in a "safety box" where it's been for at least 60 years. Like you, I never had to show it to anyone and can't think of one case where I would have to take it with me.

I did not have mine for about 30 years... then when we moved my mom a few years back we found it in her paperwork... signed by me when I was in middle school :ROFLMAO:.... I could not sign anything like that if I had to today...

don, you reminded me to go find my SS card which I did. It's tucked away in a "safety box" where it's been for at least 60 years. Like you, I never had to show it to anyone and can't think of one case where I would have to take it with me.

Well, it is one of the docs you can use to prove that you can work.... if you were so inclined :LOL:

That's a good question. Why does she need the actual card? I can't think of any reason to have the physical card itself.

On the SS website, http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/251 it says
You may not need to get a replacement card. Knowing your Social Security number is what is important. You need a Social Security number to get a job, collect Social Security benefits and receive some government services but you do not often need to show your Social Security card.

So, does she have to actually show the card itself for something?

Last edited:
Why does she need the actual card?

She's still using her WA driver's license in FL. I want her to get a FL license or ultimately a FL ID card if she lets her license lapse in a year. She needs a handicap placard and you can't get one without being in the FL system. When I take her out and about (and when she drive herself to the grocery store) she really can't walk a long way, especially when it's really hot (which is often).

Getting a FL license, as I believe it is anywhere now, requires documentation back to when the sperm fertilized the egg. What other document do you have today that displays your SSN other than your social security card? She does not have a passport.

There's a marriage and a divorce and the complicating factor that the name on her social security account and and her WA license is not the name she was born with (which she didn't know until she was a young adult). She has always gone by her middle name as her first name and no middle name. It's really quite the cluster. It might take awhile to unravel so I want to get started now.

What other document do you have today that displays your SSN other than your social security card?
Her Medicare Card will have her SSN, plus a terminal letter. This is a terrible system, but there it is.

If you still want to go in, go to an office in an upscale suburb. My home office is downtown Seattle, but if I need to go in I go to a suburban area in the North End. It is less crowded, has nicer if not more competent clerks, and way fewer psychotics raving while they wait for SSI help.

Ha

In TX the DPS has required it at times to get your driver's license. We've had to physically show our SS card various times, so we keep them in the firesafe handy for when we might need them.

Her Medicare Card will have her SSN, plus a terminal letter. This is a terrible system, but there it is.

Ha

If it hasn't mostly rubbed off after carrying it around for 15 years. :) I think the newer version doesn't display the entire SSN.

One of our local offices (we are between 2) is quieter than the other and I will take her there when I can talk her into it. I kept her occupied playing Angry Birds for 40 minutes yesterday before she got up and walked out of the dermatologist's (surgeon) office. The person with the appointment before her was also still in the waiting room so it didn't look good. She told the attendant her stomach was bothering her (which is was) and that she was leaving (which we did)!

If it hasn't mostly rubbed off after carrying it around for 15 years. :) I think the newer version doesn't display the entire SSN.
QUOTE]

While not displaying the full SS number on a Medicare card might make sense, it still has NOT happened.
Just got mine card and it is all there but with an alpha character at then end. Any idea what that is suppose to be for--mine is a T
Nwsteve

In TX the DPS has required it at times to get your driver's license. We've had to physically show our SS card various times, so we keep them in the firesafe handy for when we might need them.
That's interesting. A long time ago I verbally gave the driver's license folks my social security number (when it was first required to be in their system); however, I've never had to show them the actual card (or any other proof). Maybe it's because I've had my TDL since Beatniks were in vogue.

TxDPS - Social Security Number

I get thumb-printed each time I renew my license. One of these days I'll have a picture on my DL that actually looks like I think I look like.

<sidebar> I'm hoping they'll quit putting social security numbers on the Medicare cards by the time I reach that milestone. Has anyone heard if this is going to happen?

<sidebar> I'm hoping they'll quit putting social security numbers on the Medicare cards by the time I reach that milestone. Has anyone heard if this is going to happen?
There was a bill introduced several years back, but it died.

It would be too helpful to people, and government mostly likes to only cause trouble for people, unless there are some easy campaign credits for them.

Ha

Thanks Michael. Interesting what the "T" represents as I am not yet eligible--birth month is Sept. Per link, T is "Uninsured - Entitled to HIB (Part A) under deemed or renal provisions; or Fully insured who have elected entitlement only to HIB".
Maybe the lack of eligibilty till Sept is why there is a T. No renal problems and no claims issues. Signed up for both Part A and B but no one has asked for an account to debit as I did not claim SS.
Should I be worried about this code ?
Nwsteve

Thanks Michael. Interesting what the "T" represents as I am not yet eligible--birth month is Sept. Per link, T is "Uninsured - Entitled to HIB (Part A) under deemed or renal provisions; or Fully insured who have elected entitlement only to HIB".
Maybe the lack of eligibilty till Sept is why there is a T. No renal problems and no claims issues. Signed up for both Part A and B but no one has asked for an account to debit as I did not claim SS.
Nwsteve
Did you get a letter from Medicare when you enrolled confirming what you signed up for?

Nwsteve
When I first signed up for Medicare at age 65 and not drawing SS, my Medicare card had a "T" as a suffix. When I began drawing SS at a later date, they sent me a new Medicare card with "A" as as suffix.

You will be billed for your Medicare part B coverage.

When I applied for state ID, the SS card is required. They will not accept my US Passport and my out of state Driver's License. Think of it - the SS card is the easiest one to counterfeit of all 3 IDs.

Try going on a rainy day.

I expect Fridays are the worst, especially after 11 am.

Find out if there are reasons the SS office might be especially busy at certain times on the monthly calendar, and avoid those times.

(Based on my unscientific observations of a local tax office I pass by several times a day, where they handle 'in person only" license plate transactions.)

....Find out if there are reasons the SS office might be especially busy at certain times on the monthly calendar, and avoid those times.

(Based on my unscientific observations of a local tax office I pass by several times a day, where they handle 'in person only" license plate transactions.)

I agree. I recently had to renew my car registration in person, and when I called for information on what documents were required, the helpful clerk advised me which days of the week and which hours to avoid, and which days and hours were their least busy. Sure enough, I took her advice and I was in and out in about 10 minutes.

When I applied for state ID, the SS card is required. They will not accept my US Passport and my out of state Driver's License. Think of it - the SS card is the easiest one to counterfeit of all 3 IDs.
What a hassle. I'll bet 70 or 80% of people don't have a SS card. Especially older people. Is your state one of the ones implementing new voter ID requirements? If so, I hope they don't require a SS card to get your state ID to vote. That would be outrage on top of outrage.

Until 2 or 3 years ago, this was the case in Ohio as well. About ten years ago, DW and I both had to get new SS cards just for this reason.

But take heart!
When I went to the local SS office to get a new card, I was dismayed to find at least 30 or 40 people in the waiting room ahead of me. However, since they were there for all sorts of reasons, many involving complicated issues that needed real expertise, and any clerk could process a replacement card request, I got called up within only about 15 minutes and was out of there very quickly.

I guess it is about time we have a national ID for people who do not need a passport.

This subject is controversial, but only in the US! Guess we are different than the rest of the world.

I guess it is about time we have a national ID for people who do not need a passport.

This subject is controversial, but only in the US! Guess we are different than the rest of the world.
Yeah, a unique identifier would be useful as long as companies would view it as just that - a unique "name." To many organizationan currently treat the SSN as some magical thing that must belong to you if you know what it is.

Back
Top Bottom