Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Re: Numbnuts thinks ILLEGAL aliens are good for us!
Old 07-05-2005, 06:22 PM   #181
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just not
Are we done now?
Nope.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2005, 06:32 PM   #182
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
Nope.
You know that game you play where you put your hands on top of another guys, yours palms down and his palms up, and he tries to slap the back of your hand?

Your hands look like catchers mitts at this point. And a couple of times you took one right across the face while you werent paying attention.

Quit while you merely look stupid.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:40 PM   #183
Recycles dryer sheets

Actually, we'll be discussing the impact of illegal aliens on the health care and criminal justice systems in this thread. The fact that this drives you up a wall is its own reward. Didn't you say you were done with me twice before? Just can't stay away, can you?
Old 07-05-2005, 06:58 PM   #184
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Quit while you merely look stupid.
This is not intended to refer to anyone in particular, nor any topic/post, but the above
is good advice IMHO

JG
Old 07-05-2005, 07:17 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
You mean "numbnuts" isn't a term of endearment??*
Could be. I always assume that "Lying sack of s**t" is uttered by DW
in order to make me smile. It works most of the time.

JG
Old 07-05-2005, 07:25 PM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
SG and TH,

You're just confusing Art with facts. He's not interested in them. He listens to Rush Limbaugh and his mind is made up.

It amazes me that we are even discussing illegal aliens. - It's probably about #500 in critical problems facing this country. I wonder what Art thinks about $500 Billion deficeits and wars that don't need to be fought!
I agree Art is a a bit fixated, but "#500"?? I think not.

JG
Old 07-05-2005, 10:01 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
SG and TH,

You're just confusing Art with facts. He's not interested in them. He listens to Rush Limbaugh and his mind is made up.

It amazes me that we are even discussing illegal aliens. - It's probably about #500 in critical problems facing this country. I wonder what Art thinks about $500 Billion deficeits and wars that don't need to be fought!
Hi Cut-Throat,

You're right, of course. I had decided to quit after Art's post that told us he would not be swayed by reasonable cost/benefit analysis. He simply wanted to stop immigration from Mexico at any cost.

But then I got interested in how hard it would be to actually do reasonable research on the topic. It was pretty easy. . . and interesting, so I posted the results.

I don't expect to affect Art's opinion. He is clearly driven by irrational fears and unaffected by data or logic.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:22 PM   #188
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by - SG
I don't expect to affect Art's opinion.*
Don't be so sure. You may be surprised. I'm going to continue to keep an open mind and post what I believe to be credible sources that show the negative impact of illegal immigration. But if it becomes clear that I am wrong and this is NOT a serious problem, I won't be afraid to admit it.

Old 07-05-2005, 10:39 PM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
. . . I'm going to continue to keep an open mind and post what I believe to be credible sources that show the negative impact of illegal immigration. But if it becomes clear that I am wrong and this is NOT a serious problem, I won't be afraid to admit it.

Now that's nasal milk funny.
Re: Are illegal immigrants a serious problem or not?
Old 07-06-2005, 10:14 AM   #190
Give me a forum ...

Isnt it though? He's already been presented with overwhelming facts and data, but has yet to even begin to change his mind.

Up until yesterday I wasnt sure if he was a troll or just an idiot. Now I know.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:10 AM   #191
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Up until yesterday I wasnt sure if he was a troll or just an idiot.* Now I know.
The answer is................drum roll please.....................BOTH
Old 07-06-2005, 11:13 AM   #192
Give me a forum ...

Ding! Ding! Ding! (you know the rest...)...
Old 07-06-2005, 04:22 PM   #193
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Let's take this puppy (or maybe it's a kitty - it seems to have 9 lives) a totally different direction.

Kinky Friedman, the humorist currently running for Governor of Texas, has a plan to deal with illegal immigration on the Texas border. The San Antonio paper described one of his book-signings/stump speeches as follows:

He calls one proposal "the five Mexican generals plan," his strategy to curtail undocumented immigration. That's one that gets incredulous stares.

"We divide 679 miles of border into five jurisdictions," Friedman explained to the fans at the book-signing, leaving unexplained why he wouldn't apply it to all 1,300 miles of the Texas-Mexico border. "To each jurisdiction we appoint a Mexican general."

"To each of them, we hold $1 million in a bank account ... And we withdraw $5,000 every time we catch an illegal alien coming through his jurisdiction."

To break the ensuing silence, Friedman asserted, "Folks, this will work."

Some think Kinky actually has a chance... 8)

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/met....3dfc3aa4.html

----------------

Can we stop here, declare victory and retreat? Please?

REW
Old 07-06-2005, 04:30 PM   #194
Give me a forum ...

Need I remind everyone - that back in the good old days - the U.S. spent big bucks deploying something like 5000 troops to catch Geranimo.

I believe the 2nd Lt who talked him into coming in - was never promoted.

A solution or workable idea - well - sometimes people just get pissed at the blindingly obvious - especially if will cost them 'turf' or or money - as in making their jobs obsolete.

Expect difficulty.

Rats!!! got suckered in again!
Old 07-06-2005, 06:58 PM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Let's take this puppy (or maybe it's a kitty - it seems to have 9 lives) a totally different direction.

Kinky Friedman, the humorist currently running for Governor of Texas, has a plan to deal with illegal immigration on the Texas border.* The San Antonio paper described one of his book-signings/stump speeches as follows:

He calls one proposal "the five Mexican generals plan," his strategy to curtail undocumented immigration. That's one that gets incredulous stares.

"We divide 679 miles of border into five jurisdictions," Friedman explained to the fans at the book-signing, leaving unexplained why he wouldn't apply it to all 1,300 miles of the Texas-Mexico border. "To each jurisdiction we appoint a Mexican general."

"To each of them, we hold $1 million in a bank account ... And we withdraw $5,000 every time we catch an illegal alien coming through his jurisdiction."

To break the ensuing silence, Friedman asserted, "Folks, this will work."

Some think Kinky actually has a chance... 8)

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/met....3dfc3aa4.html

----------------

Can we stop here, declare victory and retreat?* Please?

REW
I never heard of "Kinky". You made this all up, right?

JG
Old 07-06-2005, 07:02 PM   #196
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
I don't make this stuff up. Not smart enough.

REW
Old 07-07-2005, 11:39 AM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U

JG
No JG, Kinky is for real. Google him. He doesn't have a chance to make governor of Texas, but he will make me interested in who does. He's funny, used to have a band called "The Texas JewBoys". I've heard him say, "If you don't love Jesus, you can just go to Hell." And that Immigration idea, he presented live on IMUS on MSNBC within the past 30 days or so. He's a comedian, a writer, an animal lover and he's really hot about somebody on death row down in Huntsville. Claims it's a bad conviction. He promised, that if we'd elect him, he'd spend most of his time in Las Vegas. He also says he thinks Gays should be allowed to marry, so they can be just as miserable as we are. I think he needs 50,000 signatures to get on the ballot. If you see the petition, send it to me. If Minnesota can elect a wrestler, maybe Texas can elect a funnyman. And even if we don't the campaign will be so much more interesting.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
MESSAGE FOR DORY
Old 07-08-2005, 11:48 AM   #198
Recycles dryer sheets

MESSAGE FOR DORY

Dory, out of an abundance of caution, I have emailed NewsMax to find out for sure whether or not I can post links to their Associated Press (copyrighted) articles on non-commercial websites.

If you want to see my email to them and their complete reply, just let me know. The relevant part is:

"Also, linking is not reprinting. You can link to anything on the web you want to, no matter what anyone tells you. (This is in NO WAY meant to imply that YOUR instructions were inaccurate in any way... it was THEIR instructions that I needed clarification on- Art).

By that I mean, you can take a URL, like this:

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/7/8/95300.shtml

and put it on your site so that when people click on it, they get taken to our site. That is perfectly legal, the essence of the web, and you don't need permission from ANY Website to do that."

Kenneth D. Williams
Vice President
Executive Editor
NewsMax Media, Inc.
www.newsmax.com
PO Box 20989
WPB, FL 33416
kenw@newsmax.com

NOTICE TO NON-FLAMERS:

With the above in mind, I will, from time to time, post links to Associated Press (copyrighted) stories that are usually spiked by the liberal media, but get some play in NewsMax.

I do not vouch for the content of these AP reports. I do not work for the AP. If you do not trust the overall credibility of the AP or their sources, do not visit these links.

If you want to contact the AP to dig deeper into these reports, or contact the subjects directly, I am not aware of any law that would prohibit you from doing so.

I personally do not have the time or inclination to do so, and so I will not do so.

NOTICE TO FLAMERS AND OTHER NASAL MILK SECRETING CRETINS* :

If the moderator of this board has no problem with your flames, neither do I.

I am not Robert, Donner, or anyone else who has been silenced by a handful of flamers. Your flames don't bother me a bit. Knock yourselves out.

A kinder, gentler, Art
Old 07-08-2005, 01:21 PM   #199
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
With the above in mind, I will, from time to time, post links to Associated Press (copyrighted) stories that are usually spiked by the liberal media, but get some play in NewsMax.
To all and any: This topic started with a long cut-and-paste article on illegal immigrants. As a relative newbie to this site, I assumed that long posts were the norm on this site, and I followed with shorter but still fairly long posts of my own. I learned later that this isn't the preferred behavior, and I will of course comply.

As part of good e-citizenship I'll also stop assuming that just because someone else does a particular thing, that it's ok.

Accordingly, can someone please tell me the theory behind the "other topics" thread we're on here? Is that generally understood to be "other topics about anything in the world" or "other topics with some clear relationship to Early Retirement, that don't fall under the other headings?"

Any clarification would be most helpful.

Best,
Caroline
Old 07-08-2005, 01:24 PM   #200
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
Accordingly, can someone please tell me the theory behind the "other topics" thread we're on here?* Is that generally understood to be "other topics about anything in the world" or "other topics with some clear relationship to Early Retirement, that don't fall under the other headings?"*

Any clarification would be most helpful.

Best,
Caroline
"If it doesn't fit in another category, post it here! The "reasonable person principle" applies -- anything goes, outside of rude, obscene, or other stuff that doesn't belong on a public forum."

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Closed Thread