Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-08-2018, 03:52 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I am kind of in that same boat. I still love “stuff” but not as much as most.

Now that I am single, I want to live as simply as I can and keep my fixed costs low (as it gives me a great sense of freedom). For me it means living in a 500sqft 1-bedroom condo and driving a practical car. That’s all I need really. As for travel, I could not care less about exotic vacations halfway around the world. I prefer leisurely car trips, hiking, mountain biking, walking, going to the beach, etc... Lots of people don’t understand my choices (especially those who know my means). But a lot of nice things in life are pretty cheap.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2018, 12:48 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallCityDave View Post
Are the best things in life free?

.... The older I get (I'm almost 50) the less stuff I "need" or want.
We attend a half-dozen potlucks every month.

Nothing that we do is expensive.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

In general, I'm for simplicity; but like quality.

With few wants, I've been "encouraged" by others to spend more going on 25 years now (good for the economy ). There's just nothing I really want.

So I have fewer things, but what I have is generally good quality that lasts.
Nature Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:51 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Based on your posts in total, you appear to have one of the most efficient entertainment budgets on the site.
Keep the ideas coming....

It helps to be a cheap date. I get a lot of my best deals from Facebook. We saw a splashy musical with a large cast and full orchestra last night for $8 a ticket with a Facebook special. I like to hunt for bargains but we're trying to declutter and pare down our possessions so that leaves consumables and experiences for the thrill of the hunt.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:05 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Perhaps at point of transaction. But there is a fair amount of unallocated overhead.

Ha

Lots of hidden "indirect cost" in my experience. Direct cost? I suppose it's an option....

We'll spend a bit above our normal range for better travel, but we're happy just walking the fur-kid on the greenways nearby. Lying in the hammock while reading or napping is decadent. I think the hammock was ~$12.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:15 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallCityDave View Post
... The older I get (I'm almost 50) the less stuff I "need" or want...

Any of you in the same boat?
Are you new here? It's a crowded boat. Standing room only.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote