Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-25-2020, 04:30 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Maybe we need a road for cars, another for bicycles, a lane for runners, and another for walkers. Each with enough barriers to physically keep us separate and safe.
In all fairness, I have been enormously impressed with the courtesy most people are showing these days. While out running or walking, when I encounter someone coming in the opposite direction on the sidewalk, it's usually a bit of a dance to see who moves out into the street first. Fortunately, there isn't usually a lot of traffic around here, but it's still a concern. When DW goes out for her daily walks, she sees the same thing. Most people are considerate.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2020, 04:33 PM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
As someone who cannot naturally and immediately tell my right from left with accuracy - and the accuracy is worse when it's a need-to-know-now situation - they might be me!

It's not that I'm going "hmmmm.... which is it" it's that I decide in that moment ok I believe this is left, but I may just as well have tossed a coin.
I get the confusion. You hear "left", so you might think you should stay left, even though what we're saying is that we are moving to the left, not that you should. I see that at times when I'm running. I suggest that people try to keep in mind that you should stay to the right, and pass on the left, just like driving. But I'd also take another suggestion on what to say as I approach from behind.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:38 PM   #143
Give me a forum ...

Thank you! I really appreciate the wave back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I'm in the 90%. Ring the bell or call out "on your left" when you overtake me, and I'm happy. If I glance back and give a wave, that means I've seen/heard you and I'm getting over, and you don't have to ring the bell. But I won't get cranky if you do.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:39 PM   #144
Give me a forum ...

I stopped with the call out exactly because of the confusion you mention. Bell only now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Actually there is another 10%.
I go for a run most mornings, and due to traffic I mostly run on sidewalks.
When overtaking a pedestrian I call out "on your left" about 10-15 feet behind them. Most acknowledge it by staying on the right side of the sidewalk, but some just don't understand and immediately move to their left so I have to quickly maneuver to avoid crashing into them. Makes me crazy.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 02:03 PM   #145
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
And I'd give you the finger. As was pointed out, in lots of places that's the ONLY way to get through the intersection. It is also quite legal, since the left-turning vehicle entered the intersection legally on the green, he is then entitled to complete the turn when it is safe to do so. If that isn't until the light turns red for oncoming traffic, then so be it. But he did enter the intersection legally.

I was taught this in driver's ed at age 16, and later looked it up in the traffic law book. In MD and WV, it is legal so I'm puzzled why that legal maneuver bothers you. To me, it's an irritation that so many people remain ignorant of it and will sit through multiple cycles of a traffic light with all the intellect of a box of rocks.

It’s dangerous. Sometimes in 2 or 3 cars. They can’t have all entered the intersection legally.

Regardless, we can continue honking at each other and flip birds and accomplish nothing.
WhenIsItTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 04:14 PM   #146
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenIsItTime View Post
It’s dangerous. Sometimes in 2 or 3 cars. They can’t have all entered the intersection legally.

Regardless, we can continue honking at each other and flip birds and accomplish nothing.
Certainly dangerous, especially in TX where you have to assume everyone has a gun
2cheap2eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:00 PM   #147
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cheap2eat View Post
Certainly dangerous, especially in TX where you have to assume everyone has a gun

Taking gun for ride around town - that is another topic entirely.
WhenIsItTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:10 PM   #148
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenIsItTime View Post
Taking gun for ride around town - that is another topic entirely.
The glove box, I've actually seen someone pull out a gun more than once, hence why I never honk since the 90's.
2cheap2eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:55 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Winter, 1980, on a short assignment in Dallas. Parked the car and went for a run in the dark around White Rock Lake on the (incorrect) presumption that the path would follow the water.

It didn't.

Unable to find the parking lot, jogged down a verge where a car was stopped at the lights. Young girl, window down, loud music, didn't see me. Naive runner from Toronto...I say "Excuse me". She jumps up, I jump back with palms facing.

Related the tale at work the next morning.....told I was lucky she didn't shoot me.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 11:18 AM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A lot of people think we all wear cowboy boots, hats and ride horses everyday too... Not to mention "we'all" have tins of Skoal in our pockets and bottles of Lone Star beer in our hand.