Join Early Retirement Today

Are you a sock diplomat?
Old 07-10-2017, 04:44 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Are you a sock diplomat?

As a proud Irish-Canadian 🇮🇪 🇨🇦 I am delighted to see the Prime Ministers of my two homelands being competitive in their choice of socks with a message.

Taoiseach Varadkar wears Canada socks for Trudeau visit - BBC News

My own sock preference is boring beige cotton, with the occasional Christmas 🎅 socks in December. What type of socks do you like to wear?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2017, 04:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ralph Lauren, white sports socks, unless I am going to a funeral, then it's black ones.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:55 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow, I never saw so many threads like this type before. hahaha
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:58 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
Yeah, we're on a roll here!
Old 07-10-2017, 05:00 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It's evident that we all have way too much free time on our hands.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:31 PM   #6

Since I retired, socks are just something I need to wear 4-5 months of the year, to keep my feet warm when I go outside. No style points here.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:32 PM   #7

Bought this package:

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:47 PM   #8

Mostly just boring athletic short socks that I pick up in bulk from costco... To go with my asics I wear on my beach walks.

No socks needed for tevas or flip flops. LOL.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

When I'm wearing socks, they are gray or black socks from REI
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:49 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

My favorite cycling socks. Also good for grins when I have to wear shoes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skguy_bigwheel_10_m.jpg (19.7 KB, 162 views)
Old 07-10-2017, 06:31 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I know! After today, everyone will recognize me if they see me. They'll know what kind of shoes I wear, socks, wallet, and what kind of pen is in my purse..

Oh well.

I like grey wool Thorlos Trekker socks because:

1) they are extremely thick and provide more cushioning than one can even imagine, which I need to protect my joints and to help protect my feet from plantar fasciitis; and

2) I first bought them 12 years ago and they are all still wearable and none have been lost (due to being so bulky, I suppose). None have had to be replaced.

https://www.thorlo.com/socks/tkx/650

The disadvantage is that they cost $20/pair. But to me they are worth it. They are LBYM if I look at my total socks purchases within a 10-year timeframe, because I used to lose socks frequently, or they would get holes in them, so I was probably buying socks every year. These socks seem designed to last forever.

Don't buy these socks if your feet get hot, though! They are 39% wool and very warm.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:45 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

For years, I hated wearing socks unless I wore shoes. It's because I liked my feet cool. Even in the winter, when it was cold enough to pull a blanket over my body (I like to sleep bare chested or with just a T-shirt), I would still stick my feet out from under the blankie.

And then, my heels developed painful cracks due to the dry climate here. So, I had to put some lotion on them, and wore some socks. Then, being too lazy to put lotion on periodically, I discovered that merely wearing socks will keep the heels from drying too much, and that alone helps without the lotion. Son of a gun!

So, I now wear socks 24/7. Just the cheap nondescript black ankle-high socks I bought at Walmart.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:53 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Function over form for runners. I run in Balega socks for any longish distance. They seem to be the best to avoid blisters, and hold up well.

Pretty boring look though, but I make up for it with gaiters for trail running, to keep the dirt out. I've had some wilder ones, but my current ones are https://dirtygirlgaiters.com/americana/star-gazer.html because the pattern is an exact match for my favorite running shorts, so it gives me a nice patriotic look with style when I run.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:54 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Those cute little athletic sox with the colored toes and heels. They are so cheerful.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:55 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Oh, and for ski socks, I absolutely swear by Falke. They are British and hard to find in the US but I've stocked up and they don't seem any worse for wear after quite a few years.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:33 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Darn good socks. Several pair and they're awesome. Someone here recommended them and they are worth the price.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:57 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Darn good socks. Several pair and they're awesome. Someone here recommended them and they are worth the price.
Speaking of darn good socks, how many of you actually darn your good socks? I do.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:05 PM   #18

Thorlo tennis socks for the last 30 years. For work and leisure. Have a couple of pair of dress socks when I am forced to go somewhere where white socks would be frowned on. I used to be able to get them as seconds from a nice lady in South Carolina but not for the last few years. Only one type of sock in my drawer so matching is easie. Sadly, Thorlo slightly changed them a couple of years ago so the old and the new are slightly different to the discerning eye.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Are you a sock diplomat?
Old 07-15-2017, 04:44 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you a sock diplomat?

I have foot issues. I wear heavy Thorlo hiking socks. A bit pricey but they do the trick.
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:52 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Hannes for me mid calf length with red toe and name. It really doesn't really matter what brand name for me but like to find socks on sale. Lol
street is offline   Reply With Quote