Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-01-2019, 03:17 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
You'd get booked for indecent exposure and you might as well be the guy at the bus stop with the trench coat.
I'm a backyard kind of guy so no worries there.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2019, 03:33 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm sometimes afraid of their stupidity. Anyone disruptive enough or noisy enough to bother their neighbors on an "ongoing basis" doesn't care about anyone but themselves and should be approached with great caution. I have done that in my younger days (armed and concealed) but that typically only worked for that event. The next time I'd call the cops but the downside to that is, they then knew who was calling the cops. But that still usually worked much better and they knew then I wasn't going to put up with their "stuff" anymore.

There are nuisance laws on the books for a reason and we have cops to enforce them. IMO, if action is needed, then calling the cops is a much better option "in most cases".

However, since I've moved to the county that really isn't a problem anymore.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:24 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our Nextdoor is only pets, handyman, and news flashes (power out, tree down, etc.), and such. Very boring (in this case, boring is good).

Have great neighbors. No issue there. We walk our small dog most every day. I carry a walking stick, pepper spray, and a 9MM. I've had to brandish the stick at a few loose dogs, but no escalation above that.

Also go to the range about 3X per month. I consider it a civic duty to carry and to be proficient in the use of my preferred side arms.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:18 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Also go to the range about 3X per month. I consider it a civic duty to carry and to be proficient in the use of my preferred side arms.
+1 If you are going to carry, you have a responsibility to be proficient for your safety and the safety of innocent bystanders..
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:04 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Nextdoor here is mostly people asking for recommendations for various services. There are a fair number of lost/found pet posts. It is not unusual that someone says they found a pet and soon enough the owner turns up through Nextdoor and the group really did cause the two to be able to find one another. I haven't seen anything negative on there at all.

You can customize your area FWIW. My Nextdoor "neighborhood" encompasses people in parts of several local towns. (I am within 10 minutes of at least 8 little towns). I wanted to focus then on learning the town I live in so I customized it to only show posts from people who live in the town I am in. After a few months of that I expanded it out a bit but kept it a bit more compact than the initial recommendations.

Anyway, it is very helpful and not much complaining.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:17 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

No one smokes MJ around here, that I know of. Although, when DW was healing from having four fractured vertebrae (osteoporosis fractures), I got her some medical MJ from Colorado and that helped her immensely. Doc's wouldn't prescribe necessary pain meds so I found an alternative. I'd do this again in a heartbeat even though it was an all day drive to get it.
Around here, we call that Medical Tourism. And just remember to set your cruise control on the speed limit, because your car may smell inside.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:30 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I'm sometimes afraid of their stupidity. Anyone disruptive enough or noisy enough to bother their neighbors on an "ongoing basis" doesn't care about anyone but themselves and should be approached with great caution. I have done that in my younger days (armed and concealed) but that typically only worked for that event. The next time I'd call the cops but the downside to that is, they then knew who was calling the cops. But that still usually worked much better and they knew then I wasn't going to put up with their "stuff" anymore.

There are nuisance laws on the books for a reason and we have cops to enforce them. IMO, if action is needed, then calling the cops is a much better option "in most cases".

However, since I've moved to the county that really isn't a problem anymore.
Just curious what county did you move to? It would be good to know the one trouble free county for future reference
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:42 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Funny, but ever since we signed up to NextDoor, DW is convinced we live in a dangerous neighborhood. Reading posts about cars broken into, packages stolen from porches, and strange people walking the streets. We have always felt safe, but now do feel concerned.
So is it better to be informed even if it makes you more fearful?
Lienlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:00 PM   #49

NextDoor is hilarious. Really fine entertainment.

A couple months ago a woman asked if anyone would let her boyfriend use their outdoor pool three times a week for an hour a day for physical therapy ("You don't even need to be home and we'll be quiet".) Then there are the daily coyote sightings. Suspicious cars seen in the neighborhood (four different descriptions of the car--no one thinks to take a picture of the license plate.) People asking complete strangers if they would cat sit for them while they go on vacation. New parents asking if any neighbors would make microwavable home cooked meals for the busy mother. On and on it goes...

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:01 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Well, aren't you the nit picker.
Well, at least the neighbors right next door on both sides are good folks. They all get cookies whenever I make a batch. The mom on one side is our cat sitter and she loves our kitty.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:47 PM   #51

in nearly 50-yrs we've had but one problem neighbor. they weren't particularly friendly but we waved and nodded.

i used to have rotating shifts and days off so i was home during the week a lot. i would read my morning paper in my recliner by the front window and after a while i started noticing a steady flow of cars pulling into their drive and leave 5-min later.

after several days of this i went to the PD and reported my suspicions. they asked for and received permission to observe from our house. they set up shop for a day or two and then were gone. a few weeks later i arrived home from work just in time for to see the principal occupants being led out in handcuffs. my suspicions were correct...they had been dealing drugs. they made bail and were out in a day or two but the car traffic had stopped. they moved out shortly thereafter.

we currently have some great neighbors.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:22 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I have lived in the same house on a cul-de-sac of about two dozen homes for more than 25 years. Some of my neighbors have lived here longer. As far as I can tell all the neighbors are great both new and old.

I have keys to about 10 of the other homes because they have asked us to look after their houses and/or pets when they go on vacation. I had a medical emergency when my wife was out of town. I called a neighbor for help, but they were also out of town and called two other neighbors who came right over to help me immensely. We are all doing favors for one another ... dropping off at the airport ... pet sitting ... mowing a neighbor's yard when they are on vacation ... taking care of pools ... giving small jobs to the neighborhood kids.

And even giving out a cup of sugar or milk or some eggs when someone is out while baking.

Hardly a day goes by when I don't talk to a few of my neighbors when we are outside getting the mail or going somewhere.

All the above doesn't mean that there is not some drama sometimes, but that just makes life more interesting.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:31 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

^ that is the way it should be. I see that in the small towns here everyone helps one another any way they can.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:40 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
in nearly 50-yrs we've had but one problem neighbor. they weren't particularly friendly but we waved and nodded.

i used to have rotating shifts and days off so i was home during the week a lot. i would read my morning paper in my recliner by the front window and after a while i started noticing a steady flow of cars pulling into their drive and leave 5-min later.

after several days of this i went to the PD and reported my suspicions. they asked for and received permission to observe from our house. they set up shop for a day or two and then were gone. a few weeks later i arrived home from work just in time for to see the principal occupants being led out in handcuffs. my suspicions were correct...they had been dealing drugs. they made bail and were out in a day or two but the car traffic had stopped. they moved out shortly thereafter.

we currently have some great neighbors.
We had the same thing happen in MO. New neighbors in a rental home. One day an unmarked State Police shows up to ask could they watch our neighbor during the night. Apparently they were selling from day 1 but we couldn't see their home. After a week I came home to find Sherriff, State Police....

They obtained a search warrant based on a child's welfare and found these morons selling speedballs, a combination of meth and PCP.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Forbearance is my middle name
Old 12-02-2019, 07:56 AM   #55

Forbearance is my middle name

We have one neighbor who used to be very unpleasant. She constantly hectored everyone with her trivial complaints, making unfounded accusations about their children, pets, parking habits, etc. When her husband died 15 years ago, everybody thought the Grim Reaper must need glasses since he obviously missed his intended target.

But widowhood must agree with her. Life insurance bought an upgraded lifestyle with a new Benz, some cosmetic surgery, and her two kids trundled off to boarding school and college. She almost never is at her own house any more. If she's still a harpy, the only victims are her toy boys.

Then there's me. A low-maintenance guy, I'm amiable and I drive gently. Whatever the neighbors do is none of my beeswax unless it affects me in a significant way, which it never does. I don't find fault.

Even with that tolerant approach, Yours Truly is probably the second-worst neighbor on Bagshot Row: one of my dogs will impulsively run off a couple of times per year, and he can be a handful.

The rest of the folks on the street are uniformly delightful.

Now, if you include the larger "neighborhood" who post on Nextdoor, some of them desperately need a straitjacket.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:01 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

We have found that Nextdoor (and its users) can be different depending on where you live. In Atlanta, it was a shiznat show. 15,000+ "neighbors" and nothing but fear/worry/idiocy. Now, we are in a fairly rural area with about 1,000 "neighbors" and it's more of a lost and found for pets/livestock. Examples:

Atlanta Area: "I saw a car in the cul de sac...I have never seen it before. Police have been notified."

Flyover Country: "Anyone seen Carl the Goat? He got out again and Jimmy said he saw him yesterday and the Sack n' Go."
Old 12-02-2019, 10:27 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
+ 1 and the around the other 30% is...
"Do you know a Plumber, Carpenter or Mason"
Or, "I have/need moving boxes."
bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:32 AM   #58

The neighbor across the street has an ankle monitor. The all night "quick stop" traffic visiting the house, plus the unmarked cop car sitting in front of my house watching their house sort of sets the vibe... (the cop stopped my wife and I when we were out for a walk... he was with the fugitive warrant office, not investigating crime).

The neighbor to the East mysteriously has the A/C running all WINTER long with blackout curtains on all of the windows...

The neighborhood is high density with an HOA that is only 13ish years old. But the HOA doesn't do anything unless somebody complains first, and then shares the complainant info. Since the developer still controls the HOA, residents have no say in the HOA mgmt selection. Goats, chickens, junk cars, all the stuff the CC&Rs prohibit is not dealt with, but if I miss a $40/mo (and rising) HOA fee, they can put a lien on my house.

So yeah... when we drive out of the neighborhood the wife lays her seat back so it only looks like one of us is in the car and not both of us leaving at the same time (indicating the house is empty now, come rob us while we're out buying groceries).

Nextdoor is pure BS. But I completely understand the "call the cops" vs. just talk to the neighbor first responses.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:43 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
+1

My thoughts exactly. I really see no upside to reading threads mongering fear etc.

-gauss
Yes, indeed. There's something about many Internet forums, discussion groups, bulletin boards, etc., that brings out the worst in people and sometimes horrible/hateful things are said. But most of these sites are anonymous, so actual face to face retribution/conflict is unlikely. But there doesn't seem to be the same level of anonymity on Nextdoor.

I joined briefly. Some of the information and commentary was useful. But when a few gossipy or ranting forwarded emails arrived, I dropped out.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:53 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post

The neighborhood is high density with an HOA that is only 13ish years old...Since the developer still controls the HOA, residents have no say in the HOA mgmt selection.
13 years old and the developer *still* controls the HOA?! That must be a MASSIVE neighborhood!