Are You Afraid Of Your Neighbors?

I love living out in the sticks (10 acre farm) where my next door neighbors are 1/4 mile in each direction. We do have an older couple directly across the street that are friendly, but still very busy, so I only talk with them a few times a year.

I don't go out of my way to strike up conversations with anybody, and may appear standoffish, but in truth, I don't want to discuss their problems, or hear about health issues nonstop.

We're so scared that we leave our garage door open thru the night now & then.

One next door neighbor is a nosy, annoying busybody, but he keeps his yard nice, often mowing when there’s nothing to mow... I avoid him when possible.

Other side neighbor, it appears husband #1 disappeared, to be replaced by his brother. Also have one grown son living at home. Don’t really care, as they mostly keep to themselves. They don’t, however, keep their yard nice...

Guy across the alley seems relatively normal. We chat occasionally, if we’re both in our respective garages at the same time.

I generally keep to myself. I didn’t move here for the neighbors, just the location.

You'd get booked for indecent exposure and you might as well be the guy at the bus stop with the trench coat.

Thankfully we live out in the country where I can urinate outdoors if I feel the need. When I'm dirty from working around the yard, it's easier to just go outside than to run to the house, take off my muddy shoes, track dirt through the house, do my business, put shoes back on, and head back outside.

We sunbathe nude in our back yard sometimes, and have even had the occasional whoopie outdoors. We're on our own property, 300-400 feet from the nearest neighbor, and surrounded by forest, so why not enjoy the freedom of being in nature. No one can see us unless they're trespassing on our property. Trust me there's nothing to see from that distance anyway. :)

Thankfully we live out in the country where I can urinate outdoors if I feel the need. When I'm dirty from working around the yard, it's easier to just go outside than to run to the house, take off my muddy shoes, track dirt through the house, do my business, put shoes back on, and head back outside.

We sunbathe nude in our back yard sometimes, and have even had the occasional whoopie outdoors. We're on our own property, 300-400 feet from the nearest neighbor, and surrounded by forest, so why not enjoy the freedom of being in nature. No one can see us unless they're trespassing on our property. Trust me there's nothing to see from that distance anyway. :)
Ummmm.....OK :blush:

You'd get booked for indecent exposure and you might as well be the guy at the bus stop with the trench coat.

Yeah, we've got a "registered sex offender" next door for doing similar to what Teacher Terry posted.

IMHO it's absolutely pointless to put them on the registry...clutters it up so it's harder to identify real predators.

Fortunately for the neighbor since it was only a misdemeanor they can get off the registry...after a decade.

Last edited:
I happen to like the HOA complaint department. For instance, we had a brand new neighbor that for the first 4 weeks put their dog poop bags in a stack in their backyard on the back fence line so everyone across from them stared at them from their porches 20 feet away. Calling the HOA, they sent them the rules and kindly reminded them this was not appropriate. Then when it was fixed, i could go and politely introduce myself and make nice with them without it being the first introduction being mean and hostile and there is no bad blood between us.

When I moved into a single family years ago, I walked around the block to my rear neighbor, introduced myself, apologized the fence had fallen down and explained I had just moved in 2 weeks ago and planned to replace it immediately to which I got an earful about the previous neighbor and basically I was somehow the person who did them wrong and needed to fix everything ever bad that happened between the two of them... and I never talked to that neighbor again.

However nextdoor policy is that you can not name names and it is NOT the place for personal disputes.. so technically any of those types of things should be removed by the community moderators. It is suppose to be for things like, hey I saw someone walking thru peoples back yards, lost pets, community get togethers, gossip of what is being built on the corner, etc.

Yeah, we've got a "registered sex offender" next door for doing similar to what Teacher Terry posted.

IMHO it's absolutely pointless to put them on the registry...clutters it up so it's harder to identify real predators.

Fortunately for the neighbor since it was only a misdemeanor they can get off the registry...after a decade.
Is there are registry for all "released" felons? Seems to me if we are going to have public registries like this, there should be one for all felons that are living among us.

Is there are registry for all "released" felons? Seems to me if we are going to have public registries like this, there should be one for all felons that are living among us.

The sex offender registry is more about limiting where they can live (distance from schools, school bus stops, parks, etc.,) and making it easy for LE to know and track. That said the registry seems to cast a very oddly shaped net when you see anecdotal cases of who was required to register vs. not, and IMO is not always helpful to neighbors, often creating more fear than sensible caution.

When we first moved into the neighborhood we were the younger couple with the two infants/toddlers. The neighbors had just retired, kids had grown up and moved out. They were both "GET OFF MY LAWN!" types of people. And yes, they lived to mow their lawn.

One even complained that playing with a Nerf ball outside might break his windows. The other one came home from a weekend at the cabin and said, "judging by the way your grass is laying on that hill between our houses it looks like you had a slip and slide set up over the weekend, near my yard. Don't do it again."

HA HA HA HA HA!!

Scared of them? No, more like I felt sorry for the curmudgeons.

Now we're the couple with the kids grown up and moving away and the new neighbors on either side have children. They are both great neighbors. One of them is serving time in a Club Fed type federal prison for insurance fraud, so when he comes back there could be some awkward moments.

The sex offender registry is more about limiting where they can live (distance from schools, school bus stops, parks, etc.,) and making it easy for LE to know and track.
I guess I can see that but if that's so, why not just make it available to LE? Many other felons are just a dangerous or "maybe" even more so than sex offenders.

Last edited:
............When I moved into a single family years ago, I walked around the block to my rear neighbor, introduced myself, apologized the fence had fallen down and explained I had just moved in 2 weeks ago and planned to replace it immediately to which I got an earful about the previous neighbor and basically I was somehow the person who did them wrong and needed to fix everything ever bad that happened between the two of them... and I never talked to that neighbor again.............
Yea, I got a ration of that when I moved into this house two years ago. Fortunately, I've made nice with all the neighbors and they realize I'm not the previous owner.

When we first moved into the neighborhood we were the younger couple with the two infants/toddlers. The neighbors had just retired, kids had grown up and moved out. They were both "GET OFF MY LAWN!" types of people. And yes, they lived to mow their lawn.

tenor.gif

I had clients that were sex offenders from peeing outside or a 18 year old boy having sex with his 16 year old girlfriend.

My wife is only 4-1/2 years younger than me, but we met when I was 18. She was mature for her age so I didn't realize she was only 13 until we had been dating for a while. I tried to break it off once I discovered how young she really was, but I couldn't help my heart and we soon got back together. I guess we were the topic of gossip back then, but both of our parents were supportive of our relationship. We dated over four years before we got married and just celebrated our 33rd wedding anniversary. We were in love and it worked out well for us, but in a similar situation today I probably would have been placed on an offender registry. Yikes!

If I already know the neighbor and are on reasonably good terms then I would go and talk to them initially rather than get police involved. If I don't know them I would not go over to talk to them unless I had my glock in my waistband(I have a CC permit). I don't trust people I don't know. It also depends on the situation. If the neighbor is doing something illegal or against a city ordinance and it's negatively affecting my life then I would call the police. That is what they get paid for. If you live in a big city you may be waiting a while for a non-emergency but it's still worth a call IMO.

Our fairly new neighbors had a boundary issue . They had a party in our back yard complete with young kids walking on our seawall . They now know this is a no no and keep in their yard.

Thankful to have good neighbors on all sides. Non-HOA, with a mix of younger families, working middle ages, and retired, and everyone has nice yards. I've fed the cat (stray) outside for one neighbor, and traded phone numbers with the ones on either side.

Previously, the east side neighbors (house was a rental at that time) had dogs outside that barked constantly. That family had loud arguments. Glad they are gone. I would have been scared to say anything to them. New owners are quiet and husband is retired military.

The west side neighbors are a nice family with kids. They have a dog they keep mostly inside and it hardly ever barks.

Our first neighbors were great, never any problems, quiet, and peaceful too. There were several hundred there and people still moving in. Generally they had fresh flowers too. [emoji41]

xGwbPmP.png

Lived here for 30 years, & have great neighbors on two of three sides. We watch each other's houses, trade recipes, & are often visitors. The monster house right above us built a 12-foot wall so they wouldn't have to deal with any of us.

The neighbor to the East mysteriously has the A/C running all WINTER long with blackout curtains on all of the windows...
It could be a heat pump. The external unit runs both during cooling and heating cycles.

It could be a heat pump. The external unit runs both during cooling and heating cycles.

Nope. Its the original standard builder installed unit same as mine.

Back
Top Bottom