Are you fashion conscious (plus rambling trip story and BJ bragging)

I am an engineer and only wear T shirt or sweat shirt. For vacation to cold places, I wear better stuff like Northface and Arcteryx.

I have way less items than my 11 yo daughter.

I, too, am an engineer, with approximately the same fashion IQ as Dilbert. So for me this thread has been largely written in a foreign language. I have never even heard of half of the brand names (the expensive ones) mentioned.

I w*rk at a factory in a messy process, where virtually everyone wears jeans except when they have to don fire resistant protective clothing. At least my socks match, although you can't see them anyway since they're encased in steel toed boots. But I accomplished that feat by owning only black socks (for w*rk and church) and white socks (for everything else), so I can tell them apart in the dim light of 5am.

When I do retire, I look forward to never wearing long pants again. Or perhaps pants at all!*

*To DW: Just kidding. I'll wear something... at least outdoors.

One of the differences, I believe, is that 'back when' flying was 'special'....now it's akin to catching a bus....and...if you've been to a bus terminal lately...........

Airplanes are flying buses, anyway. Crammed in elbow to elbow, beverages in plastic if you're lucky, an actual meal is rare. Take a look at airplane interiors in old movies. Why dress up when you're merely self-loading cargo?

I still try to dress comfortably but kick it up a notch if I'm headed for Business Class and/or an airline lounge such as the Admiral's Club.

We never dress up to fly but we always smell good :). A few years ago most of the Southwest passengers were better dressed than the flight attendants--I remember noticing that one was wearing short khaki shorts and little strappy open sandals and thinking how unprotected her feet and legs were if there were an emergency involving fire and how she might need more help from the passengers than she would be offering, but then she wasn't very identifiable as being a flight attendant. They now are dressing very professionally, but here is what the plane's staff wore just a few years ago:

Attachments

• IMG_4627.JPG
    IMG_4627.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 28
Did anybody see the Downton Abbey special full of historical details about behavior and clothing during that era. I saw it last night. The actors of both sexes mentioned how uncomfortable and restrictive all the clothing was. They mentioned the "fine" ladies needed maids because all they did all day was change into different outfits of suitable clothing. Very enjoyable program.

Neither a clothing snob nor slob, though closer to slob on that particular continuum...

I absolutely agree that I think some folks could use a little more fashion sensibility, especially in regard to dressing with ones' body type in mind. However, to each their own...

When I was a little girl, I hated wearing dresses because of the attention it drew, people gushing "Oh, you look so pretty!" and such. Made me feel insignificant because people didn't pay so much attention to me when I wasn't wearing a dress. Was I a person with worth in my own right, or just a clothes hanger?

We moved last year, to a much nicer neighborhood than we'd previously lived in. We're one of the younger couples. These gals dress up to play Canasta, nicer than I do to go to church, or a party... And the once a month luncheons - OMG!!!

I've upped my game a little, but can't compete, and really don't want to. That's just not me. And if they can afford to live here, obviously so can I. I'll probably never be fully accepted, but that's OK. I love my jeans. And I've heard some people in their 70's and 80's mention their "mortgage", and as God as my witness, you won't catch me in that boat in 10 years.

DH and I are flying to Hawaii on Tuesday. We are flying first class--first time except for one upgrade 30 years ago. How should I dress? Khakis and a sweater, changing to a T-shirt when we get to Kailua-Kona? Or will we look like slobs. And maybe I should't really care...

DH and I are flying to Hawaii on Tuesday. We are flying first class--first time except for one upgrade 30 years ago. How should I dress? Khakis and a sweater, changing to a T-shirt when we get to Kailua-Kona? Or will we look like slobs. And maybe I should't really care...
You should care - a lot. Not how you look, though, but how you feel. Hawaii is a long flight and dressing in comfortable, loose fitting clothes makes a big difference. No matter what you wear, your clothes will be wrinkled when you arrive, but you want to be as relaxed as possible and not have to spend any time there recovering from the flight.

We got a last minute cheap upgrade to 1st class upon checking in from SFC, so we were already dressed in our usual slacks and T-shirt for me, slacks and short sleeved shirt for DH (he doesn't wear T-shirts because he likes to have front pockets).

I don't notice folks in first class dressing any different from folks in coach, especially not to a tourist destination like Hawaii!

I've flown Business Class a lot (previously paid for by employer, later on long-hauls because it was important to DH and me). I dress comfortably when I fly, but decently. Dress in layers (and you look dressier with a sweater or jacket, anyway). No flip-flops or shorts- wouldn't be practical if you had to evacuate the aircraft besides looking too casual and maybe being uncomfortable if your seatmate puts on the overhead fan full blast. Consultants and other people always hustling for clients may dress in full business attire (along with those who have to head straight to a meeting on landing) but they're an exception.

Back
Top Bottom