Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-04-2019, 06:06 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
what?.. why on earth would a W/D have wifi for what possible purpose?
To attract Millennial and Generation Z.

We have a Samsung W/D pair, top load with the new small agitator. 2 years. So far, so good. But the Wifi was beyond useless. Didn't work well. App stunk. All I wanted was for it to notify us when the load was done. Couldn't. I got these gratis as a product evaluator, otherwise, I would not bother with that feature.

Other experience:
- Whirlpool fridge 1: OK for 5 years, then started having drain line freeze ups. Had to thaw every 6 months. Got another Whirlpool, now 2 years old, and just fine so far. Recently got a note in the mail saying there was a class action that would pay for the freezing problem. I did my own work so I couldn't collect.

- Kitchen Aid over the stove microwave. Looked good, terrible. The fully electronic door would fail to open and actually get stuck with a relay clicking wildly. The only way to stop this was to unplug it. (Had to get on a stool to yank the cord inside the cabinet.) Replaced it at 10 months.

- Whirlpool D/W. Fine at 3 years. Replaced a still working, but stained, Sears of 10 years vintage, which was actually a rebranded Whirlpool.

- GE Stove. At month 5, would randomly just shut off. A real bummer during baking. They never could find the source since it was so intermittent. Replaced all the electronics. No go. We lived with it for 5 years, then replaced with a Maytag. That's now 2 years old and doing OK so far.

- LG dehumidifier: still good at 3 years. Actually does well determining humidity levels. Not sure I trust LG, but this one works for us.

Give me the old mechanical appliances please! Most electronic ones seem to have glitches galore.

JoeWras is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2019, 07:52 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
New appliances about 2 years ago (moved, did a reno)...

Frigidaire - monster sized Fridge/freezer love. I noticed the innards of these two units say electrolux. Here's a link - they are standalone side by side units - counter depth.
https://www.frigidaire.com/Kitchen-A...er/FGFU19F6QF/
We have the same side by side full freezer/full refrigerator. Love them. So great to open a freezer door and actually be able to see everything inside.

Also got a series 5 Viking 6 burner gas range. Love the gas coming from electric.
Bosch dishwasher is so quiet you need to look at the red light projected on the floor to realize it's working.
sdtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Speed Queen: There's a reason you see them in all the laudromats!
Old 12-04-2019, 10:58 AM   #63
Dryer sheet aficionado

Speed Queen: There's a reason you see them in all the laudromats!

...they never break down!

It was pricier than other washers, with far fewer bells & whistles...but I figure that also means less stuff to break down.

We've enjoyed it for the past year with nary a hiccup, seems like a solid appliance that will go the distance.

Don
ddoorn is offline   Reply With Quote