Are you still listening to OTA radio?

UnrealizedPotential

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was wondering this because there are a lot of OTA radio stations in large cities and of course there are radio stations scattered throughout the U.S. A. So with that, the problem I have with OTA radio, whether it be on AM or the FM band is.... commercials! I hate them, and it seems it gets worse every year.

So I have migrated to online radio. It seems to be better with Alexa in some situations. If you are listening to OTA radio, how can you stand the commercials? The commercials are so very long. So that is what I am doing about it and I have more variety and better stations and less commercials. I would like to get others thoughts on this as to how everyone is listening to the radio.

Last edited:
I listen primary to the local NPR station, but I do it through Alexa because my reception isn't very good at home.

I stream and listen to a combination of live radio, usually NPR Morning Edition and podcasts. I especially like listening to podcasts when I exercise. It is a great way to learn about new stuff.

I listen to an FM station in the bathroom and in my car. Yes, the commercials are annoying! The bathroom radio is an HD radio and my normal FM station has an HD version and there are NO COMMERCIALS!

The best part about that HD station is that when the regular FM station goes to all Christmas music (this year it was the first week in November) the HD version stays normal. But the best part is no commercials.

Yup, every night the classic rock station goes on. Commercials and all.

I listen to OTA radio sometimes while driving in my car. Otherwise, I stream from Amazon music or other Shoutcast supported radio stations. The audio quality of analog FM radio is often better than streaming services such as XM Radio. I also have HD Radio in my car to receive digital OTA broadcasts.

100% Sirius now for years.

I listen to several local interest radio shows via their podcasts if at all possible. Not only does the podcast not have as many commercials, but it also does not have the news, and I can FF through items that don't interest me (like the show host talking about giving his dog a bath). Interestingly while each segment of the show is 54 minutes not counting the top of the hour news, the podcast form is usually about 34 minutes. That's a lot of repititive commercials from lawyers and gutter companies that I don't have to listen to again and again and again and again..........

In the car it's 50/50 the oldies station and audio books on my phone. This past month I have tactfully avoided the oldies station since it is all the same three dozen Christmas songs 24/7.

Last edited:
I listen to OTA radio in my car. NPR is my go to, but if they are doing a pledge drive (and I've already pledged and just don't want to hear the pledge drive) I switch between several stations that have music... if the one I'm listening to has a commercial, I change stations.

When working out or doing housework I have my earbuds in and play spotify.

I only listen to a OTA college classical music station at home with no commercials, and OTA radio in the car where I change the station as soon as I hear any DJ or advertising.

I listen to OTA.
NPR and a station that can't be oldies, the songs are from the 70s!

Yes, the local NPR classical station is often on in my kitchen as I am working around the house. Also while driving.

i enjoy the local npr station, sometimes the local news ota station at the top of the hour when i know it will be national and local news with no commercials. other wise i listen to podcasts and spotify.

I don't mind the commercials too much on the local talk radio stations. I especially like the local talk guys and Saturday morning gardening - which is also local and appropriate to our area.

When I'm in the car I tune in, but sometimes stream the stations if I'm on the edge of their broadcast areas.

I often listen to overseas radio stations (via streaming) to get a small bit of what's going on in the UK, New Zealand, South Africa, etc. Yes, I stick to English language broadcasts. I did love to tune in to shortwave when I was a kid.

I used to listen (and even had a membership) to NPR, but they drove me a way a while ago.

I've also been listening to podcasts for years and years, so do like that format too.

For music, I stick to Apple Music, I've trained it very well and besides my own playlists, it's surprising good a picking out music I like when I just ask it to "play something". Scary good really.

No, I stopped listening to OTA radio a long time ago. I have tons of music playlists on my iPhone and a dedicated old tiny iPod that we listed to in the car. For long road trips I download a bunch of podcasts to listen to.

I have to say it's been incredibly freeing to be away from any OTA or satellite radio. I don't miss it a bit. And I especially love the commercial free content and self-curated too!

Once in a while I try to listen, just can't tolerate how bad it is. I even have a "HDradio" tuner.

I also listen to podcasts in my car. The commercials are limited and when one is about to start I have a button on my steering wheel that advances 30 seconds, so I easily skip the commercials.

Last edited:
Yes in my car. NewRadio. Sometimes music when the news i too depressing. Often listen to podcasts a fair bit now too, especially if a long drive.

I listen to Syrius Xm satellite radio in my pickup truck until the free trial runs out. No way I would pay for it. After the trial, I listen to OTA radio stations — Usually just one, although I program 8-10 into the preset buttons just in case.

I will admit to paying for 3 months of Syrius Xm when I drove across country on a 3 week vacation in 2019. I didn’t want to have nothing to listen to in remote North Dakota, Montana, etc.

In my house, I listen to Apple Music, which I pay for.

Last edited:
Combo here. OTA with the bedroom clock radio. In the kitchen for brief interludes while making coffee or cooking. In the car. I don't drive much and never for long trips, so there's no "getting into" what's on the radio. It just breaks up the silence. My car came with a satellite radio but I have never activated the service.

During the day/evening I might stream something online sometimes.

Yes, when I'm driving or working in my shop. Mostly 70's music on the local station and some talk radio. I tried listening to NPR but it gave me heartburn. Some parts were OK but didn't like their slant on news, but that's a personal thing. When in the house I stream internet radio with almost no commercials.

I listen to OTA in the car (primary one local news station that is very non-partisan and also gives weather and traffic) and as part of the morning alarm (when I choose to set the morning alarm). I listen online for just one station, a local sports station, and primarily for one show that I find entertaining.

I have listen to satellite radio in the car during the free trials. It hasn't motivated me to sign up for the subscription.

I listen primary to the local NPR station, but I do it through Alexa because my reception isn't very good at home.

Yep, NPR is always on in my car. Except for the Spring and Fall fundraiser weeks.... :blush:

OTA radio is on almost all the time when I'm driving unless it's a long trip (maybe 1-2 of those a year). Sports talk / talk radio / news.

Back
Top Bottom