Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-30-2020, 02:51 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Combo here. OTA with the bedroom clock radio. In the kitchen for brief interludes while making coffee or cooking. In the car. I don't drive much and never for long trips, so there's no "getting into" what's on the radio. It just breaks up the silence. My car came with a satellite radio but I have never activated the service.

During the day/evening I might stream something online sometimes.
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2020, 02:59 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, when I'm driving or working in my shop. Mostly 70's music on the local station and some talk radio. I tried listening to NPR but it gave me heartburn. Some parts were OK but didn't like their slant on news, but that's a personal thing. When in the house I stream internet radio with almost no commercials.
Palmtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:05 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I listen to OTA in the car (primary one local news station that is very non-partisan and also gives weather and traffic) and as part of the morning alarm (when I choose to set the morning alarm). I listen online for just one station, a local sports station, and primarily for one show that I find entertaining.

I have listen to satellite radio in the car during the free trials. It hasn't motivated me to sign up for the subscription.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I listen primary to the local NPR station, but I do it through Alexa because my reception isn't very good at home.
Yep, NPR is always on in my car. Except for the Spring and Fall fundraiser weeks....
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:37 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

OTA radio is on almost all the time when I'm driving unless it's a long trip (maybe 1-2 of those a year). Sports talk / talk radio / news.
prudent_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:43 PM   #26

I listen to OTA radio in my truck but the stations I listen to don't have commercials. These stations are the high definition, HD additional stations of the established FM stations. For example, let's say the classic rock station is 92.5 FM. Then the additional HD same channel station would be 92.5.1 and 92.5.2. I strongly advise anyone with an HD radio to seek out these additional stations.

But mostly I listen to my music library which consists of 1,200 songs I have on a USB stick plugged into my truck's stereo.

I do listen to OTA with commercials for 50 minutes a day, approximately 3 days a week. It's a financial program on a local AM station that I tune into via the internet.

Otherwise, I have a burning hatred for commercials.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:48 PM   #27

I am a Wisconsin Public Radio junkie. If I'm outside puttering around I have it playing somewhere in the background. And I send them money every month. It's part of the "Wisconsin Idea," a social enlightenment plan put forth in the state during the Progressive era.

Awhile ago I was at a social gathering where some friends were complaining about a nest of ground-dwelling yellowjackets that was tormenting them. Hit them with Sevin dust, I told them, because the hornet sprays will never get to them. Where did I learn that? Public radio.

I have to chuckle at the complaints about radio commercials, because my first job out of college was writing radio commercials for a rock station in Wisconsin's Fox River Valley. It was the most creative job I had in my working life. We really went over the top with craziness.

Everybody knows about radio's Golden Age, from its inception to the widespread arrival of television circa 1960. I would argue that radio had a second golden age in the mid-late 60s till about 1975. It's where I learned about all the upcoming rock bands of the day -- Cream, Traffic, Leslie West (RIP), but also Robert Johnson, Terry Reid and Jesse WInchester. The latter three would never get play in today's OTA radio playlist.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:58 PM   #28

I installed a bluetooth-enabled radio in my commuter car back in 2016. I just couldn't stand even ONE more political ad!

I ripped all my old CDs to MP3 and now driving is a lot less stressful.

I'll never pay for satellite radio. As far as I can see, it's going the same way as cable TV. Remember when cable TV advertised "$10 a month and no commercials?" Yeah. How did THAT work out?
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:02 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Since I drive a 2004 Highlander and I'm out of cassettes, I listen to OTA radio. Strangely, IMO anyway, there's tons of good music stations out near Ocean City MD, in an area that is mostly rural. But in the DC Metro area with a million people around the music radio choices suck, and I listen mostly to NPR with a little Bloomberg thrown in for variety.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:37 PM   #30

mostly AM talk radio when i'm in our home office. mostly the country music or 60s/70s/80s channels on Sirius/XM in the cars/RV.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:28 PM   #31

Did XM back in 2003-15 for the same reason. I also was able to get it while we lived in Mexico (barely).

Since we've moved back, I listen a lot to Amazon Prime music (included in subscription). There's 1 station in Dallas that plays my kind of music (great mix of all types) & is member supported and NO COMMERCIALS. They also have an app if you want to check them out... 91.7 KXT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20201230-212217.jpg (113.2 KB, 18 views)
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:38 PM   #32

I turn it on first thing in the morning, before I go to the bathroom. If it's a commercial or I can't get a clear signal (do to the lack of an external antenna that I could adjust) then sometimes I'll try another station and sometimes I'll turn it off. It gets turned off within 5 minutes either way. I listen to doo wop on tunein.com and various kinds of YouTube music videos, some of which I downloaded.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:44 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Commuting by car drove me to sports radio. Anything to take my mind off the other drivers. Continued to listen on an ipod nano once I got to work. Anything to take my mind off the other workers.

Then I retired and got my mind back!

Now it's a daily dose of NPR, podcasts and Spotify through the internets.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 01:13 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surewhitey View Post
Did XM back in 2003-15 for the same reason. I also was able to get it while we lived in Mexico (barely).

Since we've moved back, I listen a lot to Amazon Prime music (included in subscription). There's 1 station in Dallas that plays my kind of music (great mix of all types) & is member supported and NO COMMERCIALS. They also have an app if you want to check them out... 91.7 KXT
Thanks for pointing out the station, I will download their app and will take a listen.

We also have a online streaming + broadcast radio station without commercials in my area which I listen to a lot, which has an app:
https://www.thatstation.net/
triangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 05:17 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

We have access to most of the local OTA radio stations via our cable source. However, I rarely listen to them except in the car. We have a couple of oldies stations and those are all I listen to unless there is a weather/tsunami warning etc. I don't pay for any satellite stations. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 06:19 AM   #36

DW has an old-school Bose radio in the kitchen. She sometimes plays the local jazz station. On rare occasions, we might listen to NPR in the car. And sometimes we play the local classic rock station on the outdoor speakers around the pool if we have friends over, which hasn't happened in a long time.

Otherwise, no... I mainly listen to podcasts in situations where I used to listen to OTA radio, like in the workshop, in the car, while mowing or working around the house. If I'm in the mood for music, it's usually Pandora. I've spent years configuring and refining a set of stations that always surprises me with great music I've never heard before.
Old 12-31-2020, 06:19 AM   #37
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for posting this. Listening to and enjoying 91.7
happycampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 06:40 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I haven't listened to the radio in years. I have a flash drive in my car and my phone and computer are loaded with music. Every now and then when I want a change I'll put on one of the Galaxy music stations that comes with my cable package.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:31 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by triangle View Post
Thanks for pointing out the station, I will download their app and will take a listen.

We also have a online streaming + broadcast radio station without commercials in my area which I listen to a lot, which has an app:
https://www.thatstation.net/
Thanks. Will give this one a try.

When traveling I never listen to radio in my car. I have all my cd's copied on a memory stick and just keep it inserted. I shuffle the songs so it's like listening to radio w/o the commercials.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:35 AM   #40

I did notice that the music station I mostly listen too is heavily sponsored by 2 competing funeral homes. May be a sign.