Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-28-2019, 06:07 PM   #121
gone traveling

If you do have good neighbors, you are very lucky!
BoodaGazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2019, 06:30 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One thing I have learned to appreciate about renting these past 17yrs, is the ability to exit a bad neighbor situation with 30days notice. After three major downsizings, we are pretty nimble.
The present situation is one of our best - low density subdivision and the three closest neighbors are gone most of the time.
DW keeps in touch through a common Neighborhood Watch e-mail address, no real issues.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
NextDoor App
Old 05-28-2019, 07:04 PM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

NextDoor App

That is the app that neighbors use where I live. Or at least I did use it before people took shots at me because I am from California.

And to think, all I did was point out that the streets in the subdivision are not private roads but public roads maintained by the county, and therefore the HOA cannot tell people to not park on the streets.

Wacka-doos. I can live without that app.
msanniee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:03 PM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

I've seen good and bad on NextDoor, but tonight, thanks to ND, our neighborhood won a HUGE victory before our city's zoning ordinance board. Long story short, ND informed us all about an 'under the radar' attempt to change zoning to allow variance of up to 15 people to live in a 'sober living' house (business) smack dab in the middle of our neighborhood. We came out in full force and it got voted down. Without ND spreading the word quickly, we wouldn't have known about this. Huge victory for the neighborhood.
maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
sitter for neighbor that later went around the bend
Old 05-28-2019, 08:51 PM   #125
Full time employment: Posting here.

sitter for neighbor that later went around the bend

Sigh. Had a crazed neighbor that went into a screaming fit when I used his water spigot to clean off a tool, since my house only had one spigot on far side. Thought I would have to shoot him when he backed me into my own yard. I went to Home Depot, spent 40 bucks for PVC and and freeze proof spigot, and installed it the next day. Didn't speak to them for a couple years.

Had to send them registered mail copies of both our surveys when they tried to push the property line. I had a surveyor to restake the line, let the stakes sit a week before I dug up yard and flower beds to widen my driveway to line.

Later discovered he had tried the same stunt with the neighbor on the opposite side. A consistent ass.

They trained their kids to sing low-ball house prices as they went to school, and tried to "broker" my property for sale to strangers, at the low-ball price.
indiajust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:40 AM   #126

I'm probably that crazy neighbor. I have two dogs, a golden (Lilly) and a lab. The golden is often off leash (I know, how irresponsible) and likes to wander in neighbors' garages/sometimes houses.

For some reason, my Indian neighbors are deathly afraid of dogs and one time my Lilly found her way into their house. I know I'm bad, but I couldn't stop laughing hearing them scream.

But I'm pretty good about picking up the doggies' business, and while I'm at it, I pick up other litter. So it's a bit of a wash. Most don't appreciate my dogs but don't realize why the neighborhood doesn't have trash.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:28 AM   #127
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
I've seen good and bad on NextDoor, but tonight, thanks to ND, our neighborhood won a HUGE victory before our city's zoning ordinance board. Long story short, ND informed us all about an 'under the radar' attempt to change zoning to allow variance of up to 15 people to live in a 'sober living' house (business) smack dab in the middle of our neighborhood. We came out in full force and it got voted down. Without ND spreading the word quickly, we wouldn't have known about this. Huge victory for the neighborhood.
Next Door worked the same for a grass roots efforts, here where I live, to prevent 20 acres of forest being converted, bulldozed and made into a boat storage facility. The neighbors rose up through Next Door, signed a petition and essentially stopped the owner in his tracks before it got to zoning. The owner now has said that will go for high end houses which is not as bad as the boat storage facility he originally proposed.
Uncle Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:36 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiajust View Post
Sigh. Had a crazed neighbor that went into a screaming fit when I used his water spigot to clean off a tool, since my house only had one spigot on far side.
I dunno, I kinda side with your neighbor on this one. I would've asked first, and only if we were already friendly. Whether you only have one spigot is irrelevant.

But that's just me. I wouldn't have had a fit but I'd be annoyed.
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:44 AM   #129

Ah, the joys of living on 10 acres of wooded land. I cant see any neighbors...well, there are only 2 houses in the vicinity. The closest is around 300 yards away...which is too close imo. If I had to or if we do it again, we'll be purchasing 50+ acres and building right in the middle.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:57 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Ah, the joys of living on 10 acres of wooded land. I cant see any neighbors...well, there are only 2 houses in the vicinity. The closest is around 300 yards away...which is too close imo. If I had to or if we do it again, we'll be purchasing 50+ acres and building right in the middle.
+1. We live on the back of 7 acres. (there is a timber trust behind us that will likely never be developed) When the alarm company was doing the install, the guy asked if we wanted exterior alarms. When I asked why, he told me I didn't have any neighbor's close enough to hear them. If we have crazy neighbors we don't know them.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:29 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAt55.5 View Post
I dunno, I kinda side with your neighbor on this one. I would've asked first, and only if we were already friendly. Whether you only have one spigot is irrelevant.

+1

A similar thing happened to me. When they started extending the development, a crew was extending the street near our house. I'd regularly hear water running for a short period. One day I looked out the window and saw a guy on the work crew filling up his thermos from our outside spigot. He probably assumed that no one was home, because we kept our cars in the garage. I went outside and let him know how I felt about him taking our water that we're paying for without asking. He got snotty with me, so I called up the builder and told them what was going on. It didn't happen again. I mean, plain and simple, it's stealing, when you don't ask permission.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:43 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post
I'm probably that crazy neighbor. I have two dogs, a golden (Lilly) and a lab. The golden is often off leash (I know, how irresponsible) and likes to wander in neighbors' garages/sometimes houses.

For some reason, my Indian neighbors are deathly afraid of dogs and one time my Lilly found her way into their house. I know I'm bad, but I couldn't stop laughing hearing them scream.

No probably about it. I could say a whole lot more, but the mods and admin already have tagged ME as one of the crazies here and I don't need to add to their duties today.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:52 AM   #133
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAt55.5 View Post

I agree. Even if something seems innocuous, we have always asked our neighbors first. Even when they have replied "you didn't need to ask for permission for that", we could tell they appreciated our consideration for them.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:46 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

I only have 1 close neighbor and he's not insane, just a little stupid.

When they bought the place it had a nice sparkling pool in it. The pool was an in ground vinyl liner type and looked very nice. They drained it (possibly for child safety) dunno and then it became just a huge hole in the ground. Apparently the dogs destroyed the liner and he removed it.

As to child safety I still dunno as they put an above ground on the patio later.

So, for 10 years now my next door neighbor lives with a huge dirt hole for his backyard.

Amazing.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:52 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
not gonna lie....I wish I could do this

then yell Prepare to be boarded matey!
Lol.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:11 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I only have 1 close neighbor and he's not insane, just a little stupid.

When they bought the place it had a nice sparkling pool in it. The pool was an in ground vinyl liner type and looked very nice. They drained it (possibly for child safety) dunno and then it became just a huge hole in the ground. Apparently the dogs destroyed the liner and he removed it.

As to child safety I still dunno as they put an above ground on the patio later.

So, for 10 years now my next door neighbor lives with a huge dirt hole for his backyard.

Amazing.
Whew! For a minute there, I thought you lived next to rayinpenn. But Ray filled his hole the next day.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:13 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwraigty View Post
......... One day I looked out the window and saw a guy on the work crew filling up his thermos from our outside spigot.........
If you get this upset over a thirsty man stealing a quart of water, you just might be the crazy neighbor.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:17 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
I agree. Even if something seems innocuous, we have always asked our neighbors first. Even when they have replied "you didn't need to ask for permission for that", we could tell they appreciated our consideration for them.
+1000.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:24 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
If you get this upset over a thirsty man stealing a quart of water, you just might be the crazy neighbor.
Thanks for agreeing with me that he was stealing. He probably took several quarts across many days before I bothered to investigate. I don't remember all that each of us said, but it went something like this: I opened a window and said, "Excuse me, but what are you doing?" He got startled and angry right away. If he would have said, "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know anyone was home. Do you mind?" I would have been fine with that. Instead, he said something snotty, so I said, "We're paying for that water." He said, "What do you want, a dime for the water?" in a snotty way. So I said, "No, I don't want your money. I would have liked you to ask first. Then you could have all the free water you want." It still could have been salvaged, but he walked away, still angry.

If you plant a vegetable garden, does that give your neighbors the right to take what they want without asking permission? BTW, if you think that's being upset...that's nothing. IIRC, I had 1 toddler and 1 infant at home at the time and was probably sleep deprived and massively short on patience. Can I plead temporary insanity?

I do try to pick my battles and not make every little thing into one.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:00 PM   #140
Administrator

Both my immediate neighbors undertook major construction when they first bought their houses. Their work crews used our water regularly during the construction. Yes, it added marginally to our water bill, but they were our new neighbors and we were happy to help them out.