Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Northern Italy - Travel Advice
Old 09-21-2005, 11:02 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I think Venice is just too 'touristy'. Go elsewhere in Italy and you'll see. I don't think I'd like Venice much either.
We are tourists and we don't fish! I know it's so not real Italy but we need to do this before we are
You've never been? Not curious? Does DW feel the same? If you do find yourself there against your will - you could make the best of it: 8)
http://www.chriskahanek.com/italy/Venezia/Fishing.jpg
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2005, 08:39 AM   #22

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/22/bo...html?th&emc=th

For those interested in Venice, a new book. I have read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil and it was excellent, much better than the movie. Just a little of the article below:

The New York Times
September 22, 2005
Turning Venice Into Savannah on Stilts
By JANET MASLIN

On a snow-white page at the start of John Berendt's new book the rest of his bibliography is listed. "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil": that's it, and it was published 11½ years ago. Mr. Berendt's smash-hit foray into the gothic secrets of Savannah, Ga., looked like an impossible act to follow - until a spin of the globe led him to Venice, Italy, in search of a similar setting. For all practical purposes he has found one. "The City of Falling Angels" does its best to turn Venice into Savannah on stilts.

No writer looking for murky intrigue will leave Venice disappointed. But, as Mr. Berendt points out, most well-known visions of Venice come from outsiders, even visitors on the order of Thomas Mann and Henry James. He chose instead to infiltrate the place deeply enough to interpret local customs like the catching of pigeons in nets to spirit them out of Venice's public places. He would come to realize that "we're taking them to the veterinarian" was how a discreet Venetian might phrase a pigeon-unfriendly thought.

Mr. Berendt fills his new book with wily figures like the pigeon hunters. But he much prefers the ones trying to bag bigger game. In an interlocking set of stories loosely gathered around the investigation of a spectacular fire, he describes all manner of bizarre patricians and clever parasites, real artists and con artists, annual Carnival participants and those who stay in costume all year round, all united in cherishing Venice's melancholy grandeur. He seeks out the ineffably, aristocratically strange. The man whose palazzo features three space suits and a stuffed monkey is par for the course.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:31 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
* We're not easily offended when traveling and make it a point to smile & laugh off minor stuff - major ones we keep the big picture in mind. We had a great 2 weeks in Paris - enjoyed our French waiters - we wanted attitude and professionalism and got it. We met many helpful and friendly Parisians - I think they liked that we tried to speak french - even though they stopped me immediately because it pained them to hear me. I know we will enjoy the Italians.* For me attitude is so very important in how my day turns out
La vita é una bella lotta*
DanTiem: Excellent attitude, and one that will serve you well whether traveling over-seas or dealing with everyday situations locally.

Have a great trip.

Jarhead
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 10:26 AM   #24

Quote:
* We're not easily offended when traveling and make it a point to smile & laugh off minor stuff - major ones we keep the big picture in mind.
I've learned that too when traveling abroad.* I put the saying "When in Rome do like the Romans" to use in Rome as well as every other destination I've been.

I tend to want to do things my way all the time, and usually I get to do everything my way.* However, when I travel, I am in the hands of the people around me.* If the train will be 2 hours late, I don't get steamed and start mumbling to myself.* It's a common thing in Italy and the locals think of it as an opportunity to go get a caffe'.* The driver behind you starts tailgating as most do in Europe, just move to the right and let him go by.* You order a pizza at the pizzeria and they tell you it's Monday and they don't make pizza on Mondays (it happened to me), then order the daily special.

A good traveler is one that can roll with the punches and is not be picky about having everything done exactly his way.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:26 PM   #25

That is interesting about the opinions on Venice - of all the cities he had listed, Venice is my least favorite - in fact, I've seen it twice and have no desire to go back. I'm into Roman ruins and there is a port with beautiful mosaics near there that I'd go to first - Aquilea. I'd also head north to the Dolomiti and/or head over to the Julian Alps in Slovenia (beautiful country, great people and cheap and very near Venice area as compared to some of the distances we have in the US).

I loved Florence and Siena - did Rome in a day - think that most big cities are just that, big cities and they all begin to look the same after you've visited a few.

Driving through the hills and back roads (not the Autostrada) from Florence to Orvieto was one of the most beautiful I've been on - southern Tuscany and northern Umbria, rolling vineyards and Italian estates - gorgeous.

Bridget
Old 09-22-2005, 07:39 PM   #26

Well, Venice got a good work out. nwsteve said - it's either your favorite or your least favorite. Well on this forum its either your least favorite or your most least favorite.
Could there be anyone that doesn't like Florence, Siena, Milan or Bologna?
Don't respond CT - I know where you'll be standing - out in a stream in waders with a rod, glass of wine, hunk of bread, plate of pasta and your DW in scuba gear...

Old 09-25-2005, 04:37 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

I'd pay to use the toilets in the US if they were as clean as some of them I visited in Germany. Usually, a woman would run in and wipe down the seat with disinfectant after every use! That's a service worth paying for!
Old 09-25-2005, 05:04 PM   #28

yelnad,
nice use of the word ;SOME

I've used SOME that were not so pleasant. German's eat Brat's and the effluent is not as pleasant as you suggest.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 06:10 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just spent almost 3 weeks in Sienna and Florence a few weeks ago.* Contrary to the above, it is very easy to have mediocre meals in Italy.* Both of these towns have so many tourists that bad restaurants can survive for years and years just on new clientel alone.

In Florence, a good meal was at The Lob (http://www.florencevillas.com/newsle...letter_12.html

Friends ate at Santini Ristorante which they declared was one of the best ristorante's in Firenze.* Unfortunately I was not able to eat there due to busy schedule.* I think coat & tie may be required, but I'm not quite sure.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 10:23 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
yelnad,
nice use of the word ;SOME

I've used SOME that were not so pleasant. German's eat Brat's and the effluent is not as pleasant as you suggest.
Too much information Old!
Old 09-25-2005, 10:29 PM   #31

LOL! - Thanks for the link and reference to Santini
Old 09-26-2005, 06:10 AM   #32

Quote:
Yep, Santini is great!

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:11 AM   #33

Quote:
Hey, what happened to Don R??

JG
Old 09-26-2005, 06:26 AM   #34

Quote:
Too much information Old!*
Yeah, let's skip the effluent and focus on the affluent.

JG
Old 09-26-2005, 06:41 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Agreed... we talk too much about politicians!! :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 07:41 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Hey, what happened to Don R??

JG
He went on hiatus - don't think hehateus
Old 09-26-2005, 08:32 AM   #37

After a visit to Firenze, I still have this image burned into one of my remaining three brain cells.

Early evening, just at dusk, strolling near the Uffizi and seeing so many elegantly dressed, beautiful blonde Italian women (yes, blonde). Only negative was they had a crusty old man lurking along side. ME
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:14 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's a destination and activity a bit more off the beaten path:

Bathing at Dawn in Saturnia, Tuscany

And I'm late to this thread but can I just say that Rick Steves annoys the hell out of me--the first time I stumbled on this TV show he just seems to personify a certain type of tourist who just sticks out like a sore thumb--despite his contention of having an authentic non-touristy experience by following his advice and books you're almost guaranteeing the opposite.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:46 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

As told me by a friend while travelling near Siena:

We met some folks on the bus going to Siena and asked them what their plans were. They said that they were no longer going to visit Florence because they had heard of a much better place to visit. Intrigued by the notion of a place better than Florence, my friend asked them where they were going instead. The answer: They were going to visit Firenze.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 12:23 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
As told me by a friend while travelling near Siena:

We met some folks on the bus going to Siena and asked them what their plans were. They said that they were no longer going to visit Florence because they had heard of a much better place to visit. Intrigued by the notion of a place better than Florence, my friend asked them where they were going instead. The answer: They were going to visit Firenze.
That's right! I'm going to see the real Italy - Firenze Milano Venezia and I'm going to take in some Boloney too