Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-06-2018, 03:57 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Some info about the author—sort of interesting imo. He’s early 40s and worked at Lehman Bros. His book about Lehman might be interesting.

From Bloomberg: Jared Dillian is the editor and publisher of The Daily Dirtnap, investment strategist at Mauldin Economics, and the author of "Street Freak" and "All the Evil of This World." He may have a stake in the areas he writes about.

From dailydirtnap.com, his website about his newsletter ($795/year, started in 2008):...He graduated from the United States Coast Guard Academy in 1996 with a B.S. in Mathematics and Computer Science, and from the University of San Francisco in 2001 with a Masters in Business Administration, concentration in Finance. Jared worked for a small floor market maker on the Pacific Options Exchange from 1999-2000
Normally one owes 5 years active duty after graduating from a service academy...was he separated before fulfilling his contract?

If so, that usually means he'd have to pay back the entire cost of his education, assessed in the low 6 figures.

No wonder he's a proponent of continuing to work...
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2018, 04:56 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

His bio here About — Jared Dillian says he served out his five-year commitment “mostly on the West Coast.” (I always snoop into the puff piece authors’ backgrounds—not saying he’s right or wrong or supporting his POV, just for background). I think a lot of young people who found themselves unemployed in 2008, and there were so many of them, might be skittish about never having a source of income again, though.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:25 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

When I first started working at my post-PhD non-profit job, they let us fly business class on long-haul flights. So on a flight back from Asia we got bumped up to first class on our BKK-NRT-SEA flight. Which was great until about mid-way through the first leg, which was when the food poisoning from the shrimp cocktail they had served as an appetizer on the first meal kicked in.

I ended up missing the opportunity to walk in my Ph.D. graduation ceremony a few days later.

I haven't really missed first class since, though the few times I got bumped to business were sure more comfortable than economy. I don't eat shrimp cocktail on long haul flights anymore, though.
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:53 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
i think it's accurate - it doesn't imply that one should fly first class, just that one could if one chose to
No, it implies you've done something 'wrong' if you don't, the way I read it. JMHO.
maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:31 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

What’s up with the connection to a tiny home. Too high price per square foot on those. I think most people here just don’t see the value in consuming just to consume. Nothing worse than a mundane structured life revolving around working, paying taxes, spending it plus tax, then working again.
Retired at 34 18 years ago, just came back Sunday from 7 week vacation to Europe because We had the time, and you guessed it- flew first class.
Arizona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:30 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona1 View Post
What’s up with the connection to a tiny home. Too high price per square foot on those. I think most people here just don’t see the value in consuming just to consume. Nothing worse than a mundane structured life revolving around working, paying taxes, spending it plus tax, then working again.
Retired at 34 18 years ago, just came back Sunday from 7 week vacation to Europe because We had the time, and you guessed it- flew first class.
That is amazing that you were able to do it. But I don't think it is possible anymore. Saving, that much of your salary and generating good investment returns on top of it is a tall order in today's conditions. I would consider myself lucky if I could FIRE at 50 and I don't include flying business class even, in my plans.
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
That is amazing that you were able to do it. But I don't think it is possible anymore. Saving, that much of your salary and generating good investment returns on top of it is a tall order in today's conditions. I would consider myself lucky if I could FIRE at 50 and I don't include flying business class even, in my plans.
People like Justin (RootOfGood), Sam Dogen and countless others who don't have blogs are doing it in today's environment at around the same age. It is certainly a challenge, but it is achievable.
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:49 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not sure about "today's conditions" - economic conditions are actually better than some "todays" in my memory bank. But it certainly is a challenge for a modest income. The temptation, for some, would be to overreach on risk, and lose it all. In fact, I know someone who did just that. He had to marry a woman who owned her own home, to make up for it

For 50-and-earliers, "Freedom" rather than "Business class air" may be the prime motivator

Quote:
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:15 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

In my opinion, and I may be completely wrong, people who are high achievers and earn well, often enjoy their work and are not the types that RE. Those that don't like working (that's me) and in it only for the money, are highly motivated to RE. So we were never high achievers or made a lot of money to begin with. Hence, my perception of FIRE guys are often frugal and not the types who take business class for travel.

But reading this thread and some others makes me realize, that there are people who were high achievers and still decided to retire early.
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:31 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagniappe View Post
People like Justin (RootOfGood), Sam Dogen and countless others who don't have blogs are doing it in today's environment at around the same age. It is certainly a challenge, but it is achievable.
Some are quite open that they had a working spouse to help pad the nest egg for a few years after they lost their jobs and sone developed “side hustles”—some did both.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some were high achievers just so they could retire early. Front-loading your work life, so to speak.

I wouldn't have worked so ridiculously hard for promotions, if my pension were not to be based on what I was earning at retirement.

Quote:

But reading this thread and some others makes me realize, that there are people who were high achievers and still decided to retire early.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote