Join Early Retirement Today

As a former...
Old 01-31-2004, 08:06 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As a former...

...new englander who suffered through 20+ years of bad football, only interrupted by a massively embarrassing superbowl loss vs the bears in 1986, I have only two words to say:

GO PATS!!!!!

Ok, two words followed by a lot of exclamation points.

Ty Law will OWN Steve Smith

Stephen Davis and Deshon Foster, Meet Ted Washington, Tedy Bruschi and Rodney Harrison.

John Fox, meet Bill Bellichick, and your doom.

Gooooooooooooooo PATS!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: As a former...
Old 02-01-2004, 01:45 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

As another former New Englander (Maine) I echo your opinion and sentiments. One great thing about the Direct TV is that you don't have to miss a game. As an avid Patriot fan I haven't missed a game in years.

As you know, the Pats don't blow anyone out so it will stay close. But a 16-13 win will look awfully good!

Goooooo Pats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 08:46 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As you know, the Pats don't blow anyone out so it will stay close. But a 16-13 win will look awfully good!
Except to those who had to give 7 points to back the Pats.

Mikey
Old 02-01-2004, 09:30 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Jake being a local boy, I will go with Carolina - out of sentiment not logic. My sister and co. -the Pats since they lived in NE (Vermont) for a number of yrs.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 01:52 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
...new englander who suffered through 20+ years of bad football, only interrupted by a massively embarrassing superbowl loss vs the bears in 1986, I have only two words to say:

GO PATS!!!!!
Well, it looks like you got your wish. As someone who lived in Tampa all through the 80's I can certainly relate to suffering through some bad football.

Congrats on the Pats victory.

-Jay
Old 02-02-2004, 12:19 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

The heart-attack kids came through again. And the champagne tasted good.

Any of you folks play any fantasy football in the winter? Wonderful way to burn up a few hours a week for an early retiree when the weather is lousy.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:30 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to get into playing fantasy football but it started to take away from my enjoyment of the game. I started to get too caught up in focusing on how individuals did or how a particular defense did and it distracted me from the enjoyment of rooting for my team (the Pats!). Especially when one of those individuals or team defenses played against the Pats I was torn between who to cheer for.
I think It's just me, though, as I am too competitive to play in fantasy leagues.
Great game last night. I enjoyed as much as watching their first Super Bowl win two years ago. That was a game I'll never forget. I was working at a chemical plant in France the night of that game and watched it at the hotel. The announcers spoke in French so I was only able to pick up a little of what they were saying. The game started at 12:30 AM and ended sometime around 4:30 AM and I had to work the next morning (all the more reason I look forward to ER). I hope the poor Frenchman in the room next to me forgave me for all the screaming in English!
Hiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 12:25 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

It could have been worse. I was at a party full of rams fans with my dad, we were the only pats fans in the room. Picture two guys high fiving each other and screaming their lungs out in a dead quiet room with 30 pairs of eyes glaring at ya.

Priceless.

I had the same tactical problem with FF early on, but what I've found is that it makes almost any game interesting, even some of those sunday and monday night bombs. If I've got a player or two in the game on each side, I've got something to root for. Of course it creates those oddball scenarios where my friends come over and ask "so which weirdo combination of characters will you be yelling at this evening?".

Helped that all four of my teams had the pats defense. They put me over the top in the playoffs. I won the league championship in three of the four. What was great was the guys in one league showed a lot of great sportsmanship so we decided to play each other in a private league next year.

Regarding competitiveness, i'm as big a competitor as you'll find and this gives me a non-work outlet for it.