Join Early Retirement Today

assisted living online resource
Old 02-17-2019, 12:03 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

assisted living online resource

Hi All,
Are there any online resources with regard to medicaid assisted living facilities in Missouri? I hoping someone from this community with knowledge about assisted living accepting medicaid can offer some suggestions and point me in the right direction.

I have googled and call a handful places but they don't accept medicaid.

I am hoping there is a website with a directory of all the assisted living facilities accepting medicaid that I can call and go visit with my Dad.

Thanks in advance for your help.
trying2save is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2019, 12:08 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just a quick search found this site

https://www.familyassets.com/nursing-homes/missouri
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:41 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

You will see from the list that Just_Steve provided above that the facilities included are nursing homes and not assisted living facilities. Nursing homes, since they are by law considered medical facilities are strictly overseen by the state Department of Health and most take both Medicare and Medicaid. A typical nursing home is primarily funded by Medicaid with Medicare recipients making up about 1/3 of the revenue. These are the people typically doing short term rehabilitation.

Assisted living facilities carry a different license and for the most part are private in which the consumer pays by the month for lodging, meals, and limited medical oversight, Often one nurse is on hand 24 x 7.

There is one more type of program, however, that may be present in Missouri that you should check out. This is called (at least in CT where I was a Nursing Home Administrator) a Residential Care Home. These are usually small with in the neighborhood of say 15 - 25 residents. They often do take Medicaid. There is often an affiliation with a nursing home to which the resident is transferred if medical issues warrant. I managed one of these programs affiliated with the nursing home. I can tell you that the residents there really enjoyed it. Being smaller, these facilities often provide a true sense of home for their residents. If you contact the Missouri Association of Nursing Home Administrators in Jefferson City (Phone: (573) 634-5345) I am quite sure they can tell you more about these resources in your state. My quick Google Search did show they exist in MO. Good luck.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:41 AM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Excellent review by Col. Klink... Nice to have someone who has been there,done that.!

While we live in a full service CCRC, there are residential care units in the area.... A google search for "residential care" for whatever city or county will likely bring up the local services.

A few hundred yards from our CCRC main building there is large, older house, that provides home services without on site medical services. While I don't know much about the costs, it appears that there are about 10 persons living in the facility. Basically a family type setting, with bedrooms for the residents, but common facilities... living room, dining room, library and a small bus for group travel.... Meals are served family style. From what little I've seen, the residents seem to be happy, and enjoying the company of others their age. I don't know about the legal aspects, but the title of the home seems to fit the service "Simple Comfort".

You might want to look at some reviews of a residential care home in an adjoining town.

https://www.senioradvisor.com/local/...en-1-aurora-il
Old 02-17-2019, 10:31 AM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Coming back to post another link that might help anyone who is concerned about seeking assisted living or "home" type services. The matter of definitions is not as simple as I thought. Understanding how each type of senior care is defined may save time in the research for the right facility. Note that the laws vary widely by state. One size does not fit all.

https://aspe.hhs.gov/basic-report/co...ition#overview
Old 02-17-2019, 09:03 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Klink View Post
You will see from the list that Just_Steve provided above that the facilities included are nursing homes and not assisted living facilities. Nursing homes, since they are by law considered medical facilities are strictly overseen by the state Department of Health and most take both Medicare and Medicaid. A typical nursing home is primarily funded by Medicaid with Medicare recipients making up about 1/3 of the revenue. These are the people typically doing short term rehabilitation.

Assisted living facilities carry a different license and for the most part are private in which the consumer pays by the month for lodging, meals, and limited medical oversight, Often one nurse is on hand 24 x 7.

There is one more type of program, however, that may be present in Missouri that you should check out. This is called (at least in CT where I was a Nursing Home Administrator) a Residential Care Home. These are usually small with in the neighborhood of say 15 - 25 residents. They often do take Medicaid. There is often an affiliation with a nursing home to which the resident is transferred if medical issues warrant. I managed one of these programs affiliated with the nursing home. I can tell you that the residents there really enjoyed it. Being smaller, these facilities often provide a true sense of home for their residents. If you contact the Missouri Association of Nursing Home Administrators in Jefferson City (Phone: (573) 634-5345) I am quite sure they can tell you more about these resources in your state. My quick Google Search did show they exist in MO. Good luck.
Thank you Col Klink for you helpful suggestion. I will call the phone number you provided to learn more about Nursing Home Administrators. I have tried google and iI also called Medicaid to see if the they have any online resources but no luck.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:09 PM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Excellent review by Col. Klink... Nice to have someone who has been there,done that.!

While we live in a full service CCRC, there are residential care units in the area.... A google search for "residential care" for whatever city or county will likely bring up the local services.

A few hundred yards from our CCRC main building there is large, older house, that provides home services without on site medical services. While I don't know much about the costs, it appears that there are about 10 persons living in the facility. Basically a family type setting, with bedrooms for the residents, but common facilities... living room, dining room, library and a small bus for group travel.... Meals are served family style. From what little I've seen, the residents seem to be happy, and enjoying the company of others their age. I don't know about the legal aspects, but the title of the home seems to fit the service "Simple Comfort".

You might want to look at some reviews of a residential care home in an adjoining town.

https://www.senioradvisor.com/local/...en-1-aurora-il
imoldernu, thanks for the links. We live about 30 mins west of the city and hoping to find something closer than IL so we can come to visit him on the weekend.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:37 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

One last point from me. Senior Advisor and "A Place for Mom" are referral services. They are paid by nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and CCRC's to recommend them to people who call. One commercial out there gives the audience the impression that they send trained people out there and carefully assess each facility to match them with the needs of those who call to inquire about senior housing. This is not true. The only call I got from these services as a nursing home administrator was if I do not pay them an upfront fee and a percentage of the revenue on the bed they "sold", my facility would not be recommended. Beware. The best judge of a facility is a personal visit and speaking with both the staff and the people who live there.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:29 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
The best judge of a facility is a personal visit and speaking with both the staff and the people who live there.
Agreed. We toured most of the assisted living homes in our county within 30 minutes or so of our house. Each facility has it's own feel and personality. The one we chose for my mom was actually one of the furthest away (30 minute drive), but it was a little more laid back and seemed the best match for my mom's personality. A lot of places really like to talk about all of their social events and outings for residents, but we knew my mom would never do any of that. She mostly just sits in her room watching TV.

I did get a rough feel for many places by searching for assisted living in Google Maps and reading some of the user reviews for each place. This wasn't foolproof, of course, as one of the places that got very high reviews was a really old and outdated facility that was kind of depressing.

Keep in mind these facilities are in business to make money. You will deal with pushy sales people and once they have your phone number many will keep calling repeatedly. There's one place we visited over a year ago that still calls about once a month. I eventually had to block their number on my phone.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:14 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
One last point from me. Senior Advisor and "A Place for Mom" are referral services. They are paid by nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and CCRC's to recommend them to people who call. One commercial out there gives the audience the impression that they send trained people out there and carefully assess each facility to match them with the needs of those who call to inquire about senior housing. This is not true. The only call I got from these services as a nursing home administrator was if I do not pay them an upfront fee and a percentage of the revenue on the bed they "sold", my facility would not be recommended. Beware. The best judge of a facility is a personal visit and speaking with both the staff and the people who live there.
Thanks. I got the impression after a few online searches that this stuff was hidden advertising/promotion. Couldn’t seem to get past it and realized I was going to have to personally research places as the Internet was stacked.

Tags
assisted living, medicaid