Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-22-2016, 04:50 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't know, but I hope I die before I get there.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2016, 04:55 PM   #22

When I first started what we called primary school in England (I think that's kindergarten to Americans isn't it?) the girls in the top class were 9 years old. They were Amazonian in stature, graceful, knowledgeable and worldly. They were completely untouchable, and about as old as anyone I could imagine - except for the adults, but they were different. Those grown-ups were a whole other species

Yes, 9 years-old represented the human creature absolutely at it's peak, so I guess really old would have been 12 or 13.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:29 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I used to think 50. Now some of my friends who have kids the same age as ours are 50 or turning 50 this year. 50 isn't that old any more. None of the 50 year olds I know use walkers, for example.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:41 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post

I used to think 60 yr olds were crippled old folks, now I think of them as hot chicks
Older "hot" chicks or hot flashes? Maybe they are just experiencing late menopause....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
10 years older than me, whatever my current age may be.
+2 (Unless I'm getting a senior discount somewhere)
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:46 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Well, this is an interesting question. Baby Boomers are hitting their 70s now and they are (as a group) well known for rejecting the idea that they are old. As they age it seems like the definition of "old" changes. First 50 was the new 40, now 70 is the new 50. Or so it seems sometimes.

That said, old is a state of mind and lifestyle choice to a large degree. I know people in their 70s and 80s who are way more vital and (yes) "hip" in some ways than people in their 50s and 60s. So do we mean "old" as a chronological measure or "old" as a state of being?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:57 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
What is the point of classifying and labeling people?
I agree. I don't like it either.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:22 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
It depends on the person, not all 70 yo are equal.
+1

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:26 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
I agree. I don't like it either.
So...we can categorize you as 'disobliging'?

Old 09-22-2016, 08:42 PM   #30
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post

5 years beyond my current age.. Moving target

lol

Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:49 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

iMHO, when they start "acting old."
Old 09-22-2016, 09:17 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
So...we can categorize you as 'disobliging'?
I prefer I wasn't categorized at all.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:02 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

As a 42 year old, I enjoy calling myself "old" - but I view it as a compliment. Old means you don't give a #%^@ what other people think about your clothes. You don't need to impress anyone, you are invisible to the desperately insecure attention seekers. You get nodded to by the police instead of getting eyeballed. Man I love being old. Plus the principal at my kids elementary school is in her 40's and pretty cute and she always makes time to chat with me when I pick them up.

Objectively, the decade of most significant difference in ability seems to be the 70's. I've met plenty of 70 year olds who still run around and live an active life. Not many 80 year olds. My wife's grandpa still hunts deer with a crossbow at 85, but he is definitely slowed down.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:36 PM   #34

A person is considered old when they are addressed as 'sir'. When you describe some activity recently engaged in and someone says, "Well good for YOU!" (As if you just finished your peas and didn't spill too much on your shirt) Recently for me, it was with a physical therapist who said that when I told her I teach skiing part time and race off road motorcycles in the off season. "Well good for you!" She said.

Bah!

But seriously, old is when you smell old. You know what I'm talking about! Old people smell different. Old wimmen smell like pee and too much talcum powder and old men smell like stale cigars and a slight sour sweat.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:32 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
A person is considered old when they are addressed as 'sir'.
Someone called me that the other day......although I think they spelled if c-u-r.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:24 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

55-60 for construction workers. I worked with men who worked hard and that is the age we had to baby them. Young workers do the hardest labor where the old workers make sure they do it right. We started making sure we had heated shops so they could get out of the weather once in a while. The average age of the workers was getting up past 55 since young didn't want to go into the trades so we had to keep the old guys from quitting. Some couldn't breathe well, some got new knees, generally started walking like they were old, some had heart attacks.
Men in my family in union trades tend to be worn out at 58. My brother had a bum shoulder so retired at 58 now at 67 has a bad liver and prostate cancer and can only work in the yard about 15 minutes without a rest after he finished radiation.
Some are still very active longer but even the best of us start having little things signaling it is time to consider how long we have to enjoy the good years.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:23 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Being old happens to everyone who doesn't die, but acting old is often a choice people get to make.

You are acting old, when everything from when you were a kid was somehow better than it is today.

You refer to yourself as a "seeen-yerr" in hopes of getting special treatment.

You mention being "On a Fixed Income" in hopes of getting a price cut.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:51 AM   #38

The question can't be answered IMHO, because I see people every day who are "chronologically challenged" yet I would never consider them "old." Similarly, I see others who have far fewer years on them but act "old."

Kind of like asking when you become middle-aged. It all depends.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:23 AM   #39
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Being old happens to everyone who doesn't die, but acting old is often a choice people get to make.

You are acting old, when everything from when you were a kid was somehow better than it is today.

You refer to yourself as a "seeen-yerr" in hopes of getting special treatment.

You mention being "On a Fixed Income" in hopes of getting a price cut.
I could never figure out that fixed income remark .Aren't you on a fixed income when you work since you only make so much ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:25 AM   #40
Gone but not forgotten

Old is a state of mind . I am nearing 70 and I do not feel old . I just feel older .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote

« Elio | Bullying »