Join Early Retirement Today

At what point do you unsubscribe from threads?
Old 03-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At what point do you unsubscribe from threads?

Sometimes after a good discussion a thread goes way off topic (could be good or bad), sometimes they just get repetitious, and sometimes go too long into joking mode.

When do you cut the cord? What if someone actually restarts the intelligent discussion that might have taken place earlier in the thread and you miss it because you unsubscibed? What if it restarts months later and continues to be interesting?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #2

I can't answer that since I don't use the subscribe method... I just click and read.

A lot of the most valuable threads are the ones that get off on a tangent... I've learned a lot from threadjack discussions. Then again - the one that got threadjacked to a discussion about high end speakers lost me. LOL.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

When I first joined the forum I used to subscribe and get email notifications of PMs. It got to be information overload, so now I don't subscribe to anything. If I am not learning something or being entertained, I stop reading the thread.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:43 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I guess you have have an email notice set up or you are effectively unsubscribed to the thread even after posting.

And before we get into that one again ... there is a thread for audio enthusiasts.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:45 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
When I first joined the forum I used to subscribe and get email notifications of PMs. It got to be information overload, so now I don't subscribe to anything. If I am not learning something or being entertained, I stop reading the thread.
So do you just keep a tab open with the discussion or do you memorize which threads in which sub forums you like?
Old 03-12-2014, 09:50 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
So do you just keep a tab open with the discussion or do you memorize which threads in which sub forums you like?
When I open the Portal I look for titles I am interested in following and if there are new posts I open them.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #7

Quote:
When I open the Portal I look for titles I am interested in following and if there are new posts I open them.
This is what I do. With a lot more browsing in some sub-forums over others. (Fire and Money is my fave, and I don't hang on Young Dreamers as much - though I still check it.)
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Me too.

There is the little arrow on the threads that I have contributed to (using a browser), so I can easily go back and recognize them.

The threads with new content since I visited are in bold, so I know what's new. The Recent Threads box on the right has the same bolding, though no arrows, and takes you right to the new content that hasn't been read yet. I usually load up the FIRE and Money forum to catch any older threads that still have new content. The I use the little link at the top of the page to "view first unread".

Not as social as a quick email interchange, but I can do things at my own convenience.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I quit subscribing to threads a long time ago, got too many emails. I just rely on "New Posts." I rarely bothered to unsubscribe to individual threads (if that's what the OP meant).

And I used to follow threads I posted on until they were no longer active no matter how long they went - ironically email notification from subscribing made it too easy. Found I was repeating/restating too often, and I know few people ever change their POV on forums, so why bother. I try to contribute, like everyone else, but nothing to prove (usually, the exception is when newbies might be misled).

Now I usually reply, maybe go back one or two times, and then quit reading it no matter how active it may still be. If someone else wants the last word, fine and dandy.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I quit subscribing to threads a long time ago, got too many emails. I just rely on "New Posts."
+1. I primarily access the forum through the portal for a quick glance at updates I might be interested in.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I quit subscribing to threads a long time ago, got too many emails. I just rely on "New Posts."
Same, Same
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:37 PM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSour View Post
Same, Same
+3
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:49 PM   #13

Yeah, no subscriptions. I'll click on the "Search > View All of Your Posts" and open the ones I've commented on (in separate tabs), just in case someone has got a question for me. I'll usually read to the end and close that tab. Then I just pluck stuff off of the "Recent Threads" if I'm just poking around. I sort of treat the whole site as one big forum. In other words, I don't concentrate on any one forum, don't try to "keep up" with everything in one forum, or anything like that.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I have started to routinely use the "Mark forums read" link to do just that. Then I start my reading based upon what ever is the newest comment on any subject. I subscribe to threads that I really think are important to me. And every few weeks I delete all my subscriptions. I doubt if I miss much.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:17 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I didn't expect the thread to go in this direction but I'm learning some new tricks ... I think. Maybe I don't have to watch for email updates which kind of drives me crazy at times.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:33 AM   #16

I have never subscribed to any thread.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:44 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I don't subscribe, just read individual threads of interest. The "new posts" feature doesn't allow for scrolling back to revisit previous posts, making it hard to keep continuity. After reading threads of interest, I mark the forum read.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:54 AM   #18

Quote:
+1. I primarily access the forum through the portal for a quick glance at updates I might be interested in.
Me, too. This is my favorite feature of the ER portal and I wish other forums used it. I can always see when there is new content and when I click into a thread I automatically advance to the last post I read and can read new content from there. This also allows scrolling back to previous posts, so I always feel like I can see as much context as I want. Best implementation of a forum ever.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:13 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I've bookmarked the New Posts link so that's almost always the way I read e-r.org. If there's an active thread that keeps popping up in New Posts and I know I don't care about it or the thread title somehow irks me (sometimes people get too cutesy with thread titles for my tastes), I will open it and use the Ignore Thread option. I never subscribe so that I get emails on thread updates.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #20

I use the iOS app. I view all the unread threads and read the ones that sound interesting. For those I want to skip, I select them and go back, which is a quick way to mark them as read. Plus it visually marks threads that I've participated in so they are easier to find. I prefer this much more to the website interface.

I've never subscribed to a thread.