At wits end with Adobe Shockwave!

veremchuka

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
irradiated - too close to the nuclear furnace
Problem - shockwave is crashing on a very regular and annoying basis. It happens when I look at videos in 10 seconds or 3 or 5 or X minutes into a video or maybe not at all. The pc freezes and I have to wait to get control back.

Questions -

1. what is Adobe used for ie do I need it or can I uninstall it?

2. I can't find shockwave and I assume it is inside Adobe Reader X the version I have? What is shockwave used for? I assume video?

3. I have VLC Media player (open source), Windows Media Player and Real Player. Do I need shockwave? Maybe it is crashing due to the other players? Again maybe uninstall Abobe Reader X?

4. I keep sending crash reports to Mozilla. I have followed info at the Mozilla site about plugins, checking for most recent. I can't figure out what to do, advice?

I have installed Adobe a few times and shockwave several times to no avail.

Now I got from Symantec:
HTTP Adobe Shockwave Version ActiveX DoS

Severity: High

This attack could pose a serious security threat. You should take immediate action to stop any damage or prevent further damage from happening. Description

This signature detects an attempt to exploit a buffer-overflow vulnerability in Adobe Shockwave Player ActiveX Control.
Additional Information

The ActiveX control with a CLSID of {233C1507-6A77-46A4-9443-F871F945D258} is prone to a denial-of-service issue because the application fails to properly bounds-check user-supplied data. Specifically, a buffer overflow occurs in the 'ShockwaveVersion' function. An attacker could trigger the issue by supplying an overly long argument to the function.
Affected

• Adobe Shockwave Player 10.2 023

Can anyone help? I need clear and simple answers I am not a pc person.

Thanks!

it could be a problem with your browser-mozilla. does it happen with other browsers

I had a similar problem with Shockwave a couple of years ago. I couldn't watch videos, computer kept locking up, pissed me off royally. I spent weeks googling and researching the issue, tried many fixes including uninstalling and reinstalling Shockwave (no joy), and I never did find the answer. I fnally re-installed the OS and started from scratch. No more problems, although I did replace the laptop a year later. So I don't have an answer for you, other than reinstalling the OS.

As far as needing it, it's not really necessary. But a lot of websites use it for games, videos, and aimation, although Flash is becoming more dominant. You could try uninstalling it and see if you miss it. You can always download a new copy and reinstall it if you want it. Good luck.

I only use Firefox. Never had this problem until a week or 2 ago.

one more shot. reset the browser to original settings. some pages you go to do add ons to the browser to run their ops. maybe one of these add ons are causing the problem. add ons are also called extensions,

Last edited:
Just in case, make sure you have all the operating system updates. If Win7: Control Panel, Windows Update. Make sure that no more operating system updates are needed. Sometimes not being at the latest level causes these types of problems.

As mentioned Adobe is a company, shockwave is one of their products. You don't have to uninstall Adobe Reader to remove shockwave.

You said this started about 2 weeks ago ? I think a shockwave update may be the problem. I would try doing a system restore to a point prior to the problem showing up.

There maybe multiple versions of shockwave installed. The one you said, 10.2.023 is old, like 2007. That maybe the problem, something got left over from an update. Get the shockwave unistaller from the adobe site, manually uninstall all shockwave versions then install the current.

I would do the system restore first.

Firefox recently updated to version 20. That is causing problems for some. Get the latest Flash and Shockwave updates from Adobe site.

One way to lessen the number of times that fickle Flash crashes is to install the Firefox "Flash Block" extension. This extension causes pages with Flash to load, but not run the Flash and instead show the Flash window with a symbol in it. Clicking the symbol runs that Flash window. Using Flash Block allows you to look at pages like Yahoo news, without it running the annoying Flash video ads that can crash the whole page. An option for the extension allows you to put in exceptions, for sites where you always want to load the Flash without the extra click.

Thanks for the replies.

one more shot. reset the browser to original settings. some pages you go to do add ons to the browser to run their ops. maybe one of these add ons are causing the problem. add ons are also called extensions,

How do you do this?

I looked at the Adobe update about Flash player 11.6 I think I had 11.6.606? Anyway I found a download at the Adobe site for ver 12 so I downloaded that. I can not find out how to uninstall shockwave. I assume that before installing a new version that Adobe uninstalls/removes the old version? Isn't this SOP? Is Flash player the same as shockwave or are these 2 different thing?

I'll have to see if this helps. All windows updates are up to date, Firefox is up to date with ver 20.

Thanks for the replies.

How do you do this?

I looked at the Adobe update about Flash player 11.6 I think I had 11.6.606? Anyway I found a download at the Adobe site for ver 12 so I downloaded that. I can not find out how to uninstall shockwave. I assume that before installing a new version that Adobe uninstalls/removes the old version? Isn't this SOP? Is Flash player the same as shockwave or are these 2 different thing?

I'll have to see if this helps. All windows updates are up to date, Firefox is up to date with ver 20.

althougth i don't have firefox i do have 3 other browsers. they all allow return to original settings. you usually click on browser tools then follow the prompts

Thanks for the replies.
How do you do this?

You must have missed my response. It has links to shockwave and flash updates, which are two different products. You do not have to uninstall normally. Just upgrade and let the installer do the work for you.

So in loading an email just a few minutes ago that apparently uses shockwave it stopped working again so this new v 12 isn't working either.

I am just tired of this. I don't see how to uninstall shockwave at the Adobe site.

Is it possible to uninstall shockwave and if yes can someone point me to a link that does explain how to do it or just tell me how to do it?

If I can't dump shockwave then I will attempt to uninstall Adobe Reader X.

This has to stop.

So in loading an email just a few minutes ago that apparently uses shockwave it stopped working again so this new v 12 isn't working either.

I am just tired of this. I don't see how to uninstall shockwave at the Adobe site.

Is it possible to uninstall shockwave and if yes can someone point me to a link that does explain how to do it or just tell me how to do it?

This has to stop.

Take a big breath, calm down, and try this:

Shockwave - Flash Player Help

There is no need to uninstall Adobe Reader X as it is a different program and you would probably miss it!

All will be well.

:flowers:

Thanks! Believe it or not I found this page about 2 minutes after my last post. I see that Flash Player and Shockwave are 2 different tho similar things. I also found how to add/remove in Control Panel. I have Vista and there is no add/remove programs in "classic view" but when I switched to "Control Panel Home" I see how to uninstall programs.

So I won't uninstall Adobe Reader X. If this continues I will uninstall Shockwave and see what happens.

I also found that I have Shockwave 12.0.2r122 and Flash Player 11.7.700.169 and both are the most current versions.

It's just odd how I never had any problems like this and all of a sudden it's happening sometimes to virtually all the time. Different crashes occur at different times. :( I may have started this because I may have downloaded Shockwave when trying to listen to internet radio streaming broadcasts. i say may cuz I'm just not sure what I did as I scrambled to hear a show that wouldn't play.

Computers are great and they suck. :(

This has to stop.

This a standalone shockwave uninstaller. Again, no need to mess with Reader, it's a different program.

Download Shockwave stand-alone installer, uninstaller

Sometimes the installer is broken, I had case with a whole office had updated Adobe Reader. Some worked, some didn't. turned out the adobe installer for the new version failed under some conditions and left a broken Adobe. On top of that it wouldn't reinstall because it saw the old one still there, couldn't uninstall the old one because it thought the new one was installed. Had to wait for Adobe to release a fix and manually remove/fix about 30 PCs.

There is a reason it is known as wintendoze.

Also usually the quick fix for something like this is to do a system restore to before the problem started. Especially if this update you might have done has damaged the registry.

Last edited:
It's just odd how I never had any problems like this and all of a sudden it's happening sometimes to virtually all the time. Different crashes occur at different times. :( I may have started this because I may have downloaded Shockwave when trying to listen to internet radio streaming broadcasts. i say may cuz I'm just not sure what I did as I scrambled to hear a show that wouldn't play.

Computers are great and they suck. :(
Earlier you mentioned FireFox as your browser. Firefox recently updated to version 20, and there are a rash of problems I have read about.

Also usually the quick fix for something like this is to do a system restore to before the problem started. Especially if this update you might have done has damaged the registry.

I agree with rbmrtn, do the restore first before driving yourself crazy. Go to your system tools, its easy to reset to a date prior to when you first noticed the problem.

I never did any system backups so I don't see that I have a "restore" copy to use.

I often don't do upgrades (Firefox et al) for months because some times there are issues and I wait for the bugs to be worked out. Lately I have gotten brave or foolish (a while back I had FF ver 6 or 7 and they were on 11 or 13 and someone chastised me elsewhere for not having the browser up to date but I did not like some of the new features and went back to whatever ver I had) so now I trust FF and just do them.

I should not say this but since my last post this shockwave crash has not occurred. Guess I just jinxed myself saying this but maybe the ver 12 corrected things. I'll know for sure this weekend as I'll watch 2 tv shows from Europe that used to be easy to watch that in addition to email loading were cashing shockwave to crash.

Thanks for the links, I'll keep all this in mind if I need to uninstall and I'll look at that online SS course. My SS is doing what I want and I may never need to do another but it was fun, sorta. ;)

Frequently-released new versions all too often exchange one set of quirks/bugs for another. Just gimme a browser that works and does not need to be patched monthly or even weekly.

I never did any system backups so I don't see that I have a "restore" copy to use.

System restore is not done from a backup that you made. The system restore feature is done automatically ( usually ) when system changes are made by creating a restore point. Broken software installations is one of the things it was designed to fix, and one of the better components windoze has.

• Navigate to the Start -> All Programs ->Accessories -> System Tools program group.
  • Click on the System Restore program icon.
  • Choose the Choose a different restore point radio button and then click Next >.

Back
Top Bottom