Attic Access w/o stairs/ladder?

Oh, I like that kind of ladder, only for this kind of purpose.

When we were buying our current townhouse I followed our home inspector around and watched him use one of these. I was so impressed I went to Home Depot the next day and bought one. I use it regularly and love it.

When we were buying our current townhouse I followed our home inspector around and watched him use one of these. I was so impressed I went to Home Depot the next day and bought one. I use it regularly and love it.

I don't know how I've never run into one of these before.

I NEED one NOW.

I like that telescoping ladder too. I hate dragging my big ladder up the stairs. My 6' step ladder isn't bad, but it's a little dicey getting back on it.

I asked for a built in ladder, and got one for the garage, but they wouldn't do it inside. It may have something to do with the HVAC equipment there. They also said it really wasn't a space meant for home owners to get up into, as too many people used them for storage and stuff. Mine doesn't have a floor except for by the HVAC, just insulation between the joists. I have had to go work around up there though, once to run an HDMI cable, another time to find a leak.

I store stuff in the attic above my garage that I access often. I have an 8ft step ladder that works just fine. But I have to retrieve the stepladder everytime I want into the attic. Often wish I had the built in ladder.

I like that telescoping ladder too. I hate dragging my big ladder up the stairs. My 6' step ladder isn't bad, but it's a little dicey getting back on it.

I asked for a built in ladder, and got one for the garage, but they wouldn't do it inside. It may have something to do with the HVAC equipment there. They also said it really wasn't a space meant for home owners to get up into, as too many people used them for storage and stuff. Mine doesn't have a floor except for by the HVAC, just insulation between the joists. I have had to go work around up there though, once to run an HDMI cable, another time to find a leak.

Every square inch of your home is an area for home owners to understand and get into. We own it, we can use it.

I understand that certain areas should not be used for storage. Like you said, leave it without a floor and people won't use it.

But every homeowner should understand their attic and crawlspace, and dare I say, check them out from time to time. Or hire someone to do so. It is very important to keep a watch on the attic for slow building problems such as small leaks, bee or bat infestations, etc. The easier access, the better.

Your builder -- like mine -- may not have had a good place to put it that works with the ceiling joist/truss and utility layout. We created even less options after installing HVAC.

Every square inch of your home is an area for home owners to understand and get into. We own it, we can use it.

I understand that certain areas should not be used for storage. Like you said, leave it without a floor and people won't use it.

But every homeowner should understand their attic and crawlspace, and dare I say, check them out from time to time. Or hire someone to do so. It is very important to keep a watch on the attic for slow building problems such as small leaks, bee or bat infestations, etc. The easier access, the better.

Your builder -- like mine -- may not have had a good place to put it that works with the ceiling joist/truss and utility layout. We created even less options after installing HVAC.
I fully agree with all of this. I don't know why I let it slide.

How long of that telescoping ladder do I need to get for an attic over an 8' ceiling?

How long of that telescoping ladder do I need to get for an attic over an 8' ceiling?

I have the same question. Trying to choose between the 10.5 or 12.5 with an 8' ceiling, and 12" above the ceiling to the top of the joist/insulation dam.

My scuttle hole is small enough that I can hand off to the side. In other words, it isn't like a roof where you need to get your feet up to the absolute top. As long as I can get my butt up to the hole, I can land sidewise. I'm thinking 10.5 should be fine. Maybe I need to do some trigonometry?

Last edited:
I have the same question. Trying to choose between the 10.5 or 12.5 with an 8' ceiling,

Maybe I need to do some trigonometry?

When you decide, please post the results. I, too, need to choose.

I have a compact car, and at one time I had a 6 foot ladder in it. Another time I brought home 2 10 foot pieces of bar stock.
The passenger seat folds and the rear seats drop also. Please get her a ladder.

I have the same question. Trying to choose between the 10.5 or 12.5 with an 8' ceiling, and 12" above the ceiling to the top of the joist/insulation dam.

My scuttle hole is small enough that I can hand off to the side. In other words, it isn't like a roof where you need to get your feet up to the absolute top. As long as I can get my butt up to the hole, I can land sidewise. I'm thinking 10.5 should be fine. Maybe I need to do some trigonometry?

If the ladder is the hypotenuse of a right triangle whose sides are 8' vertical and 3' on the floor, then ~8.5' of ladder will be outside the hole. That would mean you have ~2' of a 10.5' ladder inside the attic. If your hands were on the top rung, they'd be a bit above your waist when you got as high as you needed to. If you want to have them more at chest level, then go for the longer ladder.

A couple of thoughts -
if the idea is to lean the top of the ladder through the opening and against the side of the access hole for support, 1) there is a small chance that one of the segments could not fully lock in place when extended, then slip under the users weight causing bad things to happen. And, 2) how will you slide the access panel out of the way to gain entrance?
Under this scenario, a step ladder is the better choice.

Last edited:
A couple of thoughts -
if the idea is to lean the top of the ladder through the opening and against the side of the access hole for support, 1) there is a small chance that one of the segments could not fully lock in place when extended, then slip under the users weight causing bad things to happen. And, 2) how will you slide the access panel out of the way to gain entrance?

In this scenario, a step ladder is the better choice.
1) Isn't that a faulty ladder? Why would it not lock? Or are you just pointing out the inherent risk of a telescoping ladder, no matter the application?

2) Yes, this is a concern. My scuttle hole in the ceiling is 3" from a wall. I can first extend the ladder a bit, prop against wall, then remove panel. Then extend fully to get up there.

I already have a 6 ft. step ladder to open the panel first if required. But that's two steps, and I'd prefer to leave the step ladder in the basement. I mark the walls every time I bring it upstairs. And now, I have to hoist myself up through the hole. A taller stepladder would avoid as much hoisting, but it would be heavier. I'm done with heavy ladders.

I agree, a standard 6 foot step ladder is my choice. I would have no problem stepping on the top either as it's only 2 feet higher to the hole in the ceiling and you have a hand hold with the rafters. There's no way I'd want to be climbing a a rope and swaying back and forth.

1) Isn't that a faulty ladder? Why would it not lock? Or are you just pointing out the inherent risk of a telescoping ladder, no matter the application?

When researching one of these ladders last year the slipping segment issue was mentioned in one of the reviews. Yes, it could be a quality control issue or user error. I would be less concerned when leaning against a wall. If carefully deployed, the risk is probably small.

Hmm, that's interesting. I have used a 6' step ladder. I step above the top recommended step but I support a lot of my weight with my hands gripping the attic opening. Same thing when I lower myself back down. I would probably get laughed at by many at how slowly and carefully I do it, but I have a real fear of a misstep on a ladder and taking a fall. It probably goes back to when I felt I had to get on a roof to get snow off a leaky spot on the roof, and I pretty much froze trying to get back down the ladder, with my foot a couple inches from the rung. I felt like I couldn't control my slide on the slick roof and I'd take a tumble. I finally collected myself and got down uneventfully.

Anyway, maybe I'll stick with the stepladder (not that hard to carry on the stairs) and keep this telescoping ladder in my Wishlist for now.

Same for me, runningbum. Maybe I should lose some weight. It would be easier to hoist my way up.

I have an additional complication that you may not. My ceiling is 8', but above that is 1' more, with a small deck. This consists of 2 2x6 stacked, along with plywood decking. So, I have 3' above the very top of the step ladder. It is a hard hoist up for a big body with failing shoulders.

So, a 10.5' straight ladder will extend about 1' above the deck. It should be enough for me. I can also secure the feet against the wall of the hall so it won't slide back. The only problem would be a telescope lock fail.

Like you, maybe I'll cool my jets a bit and wish list this. I could see other uses for such a ladder which may get me to go from wish list to buy.

BTW, an 8ft step ladder would be perfect, but it is simply too heavy and bulky.

My access sounds a lot easier than yours, Joe. On one side as I go up there's a piece of plywood adjacent to the access, which is also used to easily access the HVAC unit up there. It's especially helpful for going back down because I can sit down and then slide on my butt to the opening. There's also plenty of headroom there.

I have 10' ceilings and the 12.5' telescoping ladder is perfect for getting up through the hatch. And as long as you pay attention, the locks on the rungs are foolproof (or at least braumeisterproof), since they are visibly either locked or not. The base is also quite stable -- I've never had it slip even on a smooth floor.

Thanks brau, that means a 10.5' ladder should work for my 8' ceilings, if I decide to go that way.

I carried and used a telescoping ladder behind my driver's seatback for the rentals. Outstanding, as it was just barely enough to get to a single story roof. Used the heck out of it and I'll say that it is NOT as stable as a regular ladder - narrower and round feet = easier to flip one foot up. It also has more flex than a regular aluminum ladder, which can make one nervous. After much use, my ladder decided it would be funny to drop a section or two below me while I was on it. Was only 3' or so off the ground, but that is not a happy feeling. Did it a couple times, because I liked the ladder and am cheap and hopeful. Dumb. 175# dropping 14" is scary when unexpected.
Now we use aluminum step ladders like this because they are very light, take up next to no room, and mostly get me as high as I really want to be. https://www.target.com/p/rubbermaid...inum-step-stool-with-project-top/-/A-50857005
If I really want to get high I use a real ladder. I rarely want to get that high.

Ladder accidents on home shopping networks.

Just plain ladder accidents, shows safety is primary, but not fun to watch.

Time2, those were awful, and mostly hilarious. Especially the TV shopping show ones.

Back
Top Bottom