Join Early Retirement Today

Attic Access w/o stairs/ladder?
Old 08-10-2020, 09:13 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Attic Access w/o stairs/ladder?

Our DD bought a nice town-home and we finally got to visit, and of course she had a few jobs for me, and I had a list of things to check out.

There are can lights in the upstairs bedrooms, and they looked like they weren't installed well, had some visible gaps (my infra-red temperature gun showed some hotter spots around them with the A/C on a hot day). I told her that when it is cooler out, we should take a look up there. She doesn't have a step stool, let alone a ladder. She needs to get a good step stool, as she has been painting and just using a chair. But she really has no need for a ladder, so why spend the bucks and then just have it take up space? So how to get into that attic?

I don't really want to pack up a ladder in the car when we visit. I did some searches on-line, and everything is about the pull down stairs - but she doesn't need the storage space, there's no need to go through the $ and effort to install those, we just want to inspect things, and maybe a little touch-up job on those lights if needed. It would be a one or two time thing.

Then I recalled we have one of those chain/step emergency ladders that fit in a suitcase sized box, stored under our bed. I'm pretty sure that with a step stool I could get the hatch up, and hook the ladder over the edge in the same way it goes over the window sill. Maybe a carpet piece to avoid scuffing the ceiling/trim. Seems do-able.

Similar to this, but ours has chains, not straps along the side:

https://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-E...1617011&sr=8-4

Any other suggestions?

TIA - ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2020, 09:20 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Hire a handy man.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:33 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Have your daughter ask her nice neighbors if she can borrow one of their ladders in exchange for some cookies or pie or a Starbucks gift certificate.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:49 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Buy a ladder that can adapt to this job and others. Find one that can be stored in a smaller space. I can't imagine going to help daughter and not have a decent ladder on site for this repair and the many to come...
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:02 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I use a regular step ladder.
I find I have to hoist myself up while standing on the top of the ladder.

If you use a tall one, it would be even easier than a 6 ft one.

The nice thing is she will need it for other things so it will do many duties. I use mine to hang Christmas lights on the gutters.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:23 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I had a similar situation in our previous townhouse. I got a telescoping ladder, along the lines of this. It wasn't the greatest ladder, but it did the job, didn't take up any real space, and wasn't too expensive.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:34 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When you get there, buy one from Home Depot. When you are done, return it. Bada Boom!

If you don't want to haul it, then order one on line and return the same way.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:37 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
When you get there, buy one from Home Depot. When you are done, return it. Bada Boom!

I vote no. That's just low class.

If you want to go that way, just rent one.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post

And a daughter expecting her aged father to scramble up into the attic from a step stool isn't?
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:42 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And a daughter expecting her aged father to scramble up into the attic from a step stool because she's too cheap to buy a ladder isn't?
That's a family issue and a straw man. It doesn't have anything to do with ripping off a store.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:51 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
And a daughter expecting her aged father to scramble up into the attic from a step stool because she's too cheap to buy a ladder isn't?
It seems to me it's the aged father who is concerned about the poor insulation issue, not the daughter.

Doesn't DD have a boyfriend or hubby that could do this, besides it would be a good test to see how handy the person was
Old 08-11-2020, 04:10 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I can't imagine not having a step ladder. If her townhome is anything like our former townhome, she'll need a step ladder to change recessed lighting bulbs, smoke detector batteries, etc. And to get into the attic. Just buy a step ladder.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:27 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Penny wise, pound foolish. That kind of ladder makes sense for emergencies but is too risky for general use. The older you get, the more risky it will be. Of course, if you could send your young, invulnerable daughter scurrying up there...
Old 08-11-2020, 05:56 AM   #14

Get her a decent step ladder as a partial moving in gift. She's an engineer's daughter and hasn't inherited the handy gene?

There are plenty of light bulbs in her future. She should have bought a ladder before her first can of paint.

That fire escape looks horrible. But you have two problems to solve. A handy 3-5 step easy light folding step ladder for simple around the house stuff (no more chairs), and a proper installed folding attic ladder, eventually, once she wants to get up there.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Then I recalled we have one of those chain/step emergency ladders that fit in a suitcase sized box, stored under our bed. I'm pretty sure that with a step stool I could get the hatch up, and hook the ladder over the edge in the same way it goes over the window sill. Maybe a carpet piece to avoid scuffing the ceiling/trim. Seems do-able.

Similar to this, but ours has chains, not straps along the side:

https://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-E...1617011&sr=8-4

Any other suggestions?

TIA - ERD50
This kind of ladder is marginally OK for going down in an emergency. An important factor is the ladder will be up against the outside wall.
Going up is an all together different process. Not only will the bottom of the ladder (and legs) swing away from you making it difficult to climb but almost impossible to safely lift yourself up through the hatch once your head/shoulders are at ceiling level.

Cheers!
Badger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:15 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Put her dining table under the access hatch, a desk or side table on top of that and use a chair to climb up.... oh and make sure your medical insurance is fully paid up!
Retired Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:09 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Thanks to (almost) all, for (almost) all the answers.

Thanks harley, this is the kind of thing I was thinking about, I also thought I would find a 2 or 3 piece sliding extension, but I didn't find any in a smaller size.

Quote:
I had a similar situation in our previous townhouse. I got a telescoping ladder, along the lines of this. It wasn't the greatest ladder, but it did the job, didn't take up any real space, and wasn't too expensive.

To address some of the other answers:

I absolutely think she should get a good step stool. I bought this one after I saw it at my other daughter's house. The top step is ~ 29"~30", and I could easily reach the floor above our basement, which is 9'4" (8.5' plus joists). She's not that much shorter than me, so that gets her what she needs (except this attic), and is a lot more convenient than a big step ladder, so why have both if it can be avoided? That's my point.

These might not be the exact model I have, but similar:

https://www.target.com/p/cosco-3-ste...y/-/A-13130424

https://www.amazon.com/Cosco-Three-S...s%2C201&sr=8-4

So with a good quality step stool, she can paint, replace lights, reach cabinets, and do everything she needs, except get in the attic.

I was also concerned that that fire escape ladder would swing around and make it difficult to get into the hatch.

Yes, she could probably borrow one, but unless it's a very nearby neighbor, you still have the hassle of getting it in/out of a compact car. She doesn't know her neighbors too well yet, and that is complicated by the fact that she's a nurse on the COVID floor of her hospital, so socialization is a bit complicated. And she broke up with her boyfriend before the move, but he was living with her, so it's all kind of the same problem anyhow, it's not like he had a separate house and a ladder.

And the hoisting myself up from a step ladder that doesn't go all the way to the top is a bit iffy as well. I've done that on the one attic section we have that I rarely go into, it's kind of a pain. But that got me thinking, the good step stool gets you most of the way there, so maybe climbing that chain ladder for the top 4' ~ 5' wouldn't be bad. Or, I could make a 5 ' ladder with a cross piece at top that could be turned to bridge the opening, and get to that from the step stool. Cheap, small, and should get the job done.

I guess I also need to ask her sister if she has a ladder that can be carried in their SUV, they live nearby, in a SFM, so I imagine they have a ladder. Seems obvious, but until I type this stuff out, some of the obvious stuff gets by me!

edit/add: And she is actually quite handy. She goes on youtube and has done quite a few repairs. But none needed a ladder!

-ERD50
Old 08-11-2020, 07:25 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:

If you want to go that way, just rent one.
harley, you were much more gentle than I would have been. skipro33's comment was just another nail in the coffin for me feeling like society is just going down the tubes.

And then the sad and easily predicted diversion/rationalization/false-hypothetical... ....

Quote:
And a daughter expecting her aged father to scramble up into the attic from a step stool isn't?
sigh -ERD50
Old 08-11-2020, 07:40 AM   #19

Quote:
That's a family issue and a straw man. It doesn't have anything to do with ripping off a store.
I'm with you, first time I saw 5 ceiling fans that had been returned, they had obviously been installed outdoors, were very dirty, I complained that they should not have taken them back. Cashier said, ya, but it's store policy. The other items are generators, people buy them after a hurricane use them until power comes back on and return them. I saw the other day they have a new policy about generators, good!
On the other hand, I popped a 100 amp circuit breaker a few days ago, and it would not reset. I went to Lowes and and compared a new one to the old one as well as I could in the package, I thought I had the right one, but when I got home, one slot was a little to small. When I went to return it the next morning, I could not find the receipt. I speculate I dropped it when I left the store while carrying the two breakers and removing my mask. I searched the parking lot before I went iin hoping to find it. The cashier said, I probably can't give a refund on electrical without a receipt. I gave her all the info, register number, time of purchase and approximate cost, she found my purchase in the computer and returned the $33. I was off by 7 minutes on the time :-) Sometimes computers are good!
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
I'm with you, first time I saw 5 ceiling fans that had been returned, they had obviously been installed outdoors, were very dirty, I complained that they should not have taken them back. Cashier said, ya, but it's store policy.
This stuff seems to be more common than you would think. I remember a post here a couple of years ago about returns at Costco:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
When I was in line to return the sunglasses, there were two people in front of me. The first one was returning a half eaten box of Cheerios. The second one returned a fully cooked piece of steak that he thought had too much fat in it. Of course they took both items back without issue. I would have felt really foolish returning either of those items.