Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-04-2007, 07:32 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Trust me, you're not going 1/2 way with Nissan. Definitely not with the 4th generation Maxima, 1995-1998. The Maxima is the most reliable car I know of, bar none.

thats the truth. nobody can argue that point...95-98 max gets my vote. i own one(1998, 80k mi), and sold one (95- 200k miles-nearly totalled so i sold)
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2007, 08:48 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I think the next time we go car shopping I'll show up with an OBD-II cable and a big towel just to see the look on the seller's face...
I hope for his sake he didnt watch pulp fiction or deliverance the night before.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:05 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

You know, all of this talk of climbing around under cars, shady sellers, geysering 170F radiator fluid, etc. makes me a lot less sorry that I buy new and run it until it dies on the side of the road.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:07 AM   #44

I buy new for my cars, but my kids buy used cars found on Craigslist.

We've found that taking a car to the dealer and paying $99 to 149 with compression check has worked well for us. Having a list of known problems, large or small, has helped us decide whether the car is worth buying and gives us a little negotiating room.

The only problem cars they've bought were ones that didn't get the dealer check.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:22 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

We should hook up, Wildcat. I've been getting the new car itch, and am deciding what to do with my 1-owner, well-maintained, nothing-wrong-with-it-except-I-want-a-new-car 1994 Honda Accord. There is a pretty good chance I will be selling it to a friend for his daughter, but if that doesn't work out, I was thinking about Craigslist. DH doesn't want to deal with "unknown" people, and would prefer to just trade it to avoid the hassle.

OK, so this is not a sales pitch to Wildcat, but in the meantime, it appears that some of you have had good luck with Craigslist. Any bad stories? Any advice? I would be a bit nervous about it, but I guess it's no worse than advertising in the paper... You know the stories about meeting strange people over the internet. Oh, wait - that's what we all are, eh?

Thanks!
CJ
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:25 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Another option, for those less than squeaky tight, is to buy a car 2 years old. This way you get some warranty to take care of any issues and usually a car that looks like new, but for a lot less. I bought a Taurus for my wife that was 1 1/2 years old for half new price because of Ford's poor management of resale value (rental dumping, etc). It is not an exceptional car but I found it to be a exceptional value. And, she is happy with it - all that matters to me.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:56 AM   #47

Travelover:

I agree with your assessment of late model domestic iron as a great value. Three and a half years ago I bought a Mercury Sable that was one year old with 16k miles on it for $10k. Since then I have put 70k miles on the car and the car has been flawless. My operating costs for the car including depreciation have been under 10 cents a mile.

My original plan was to replace the car about now with another late model domestic but the car runs so good that I have decided to keep it for another year or two. Why sell off a good running car.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:01 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
You know, all of this talk of climbing around under cars, shady sellers, geysering 170F radiator fluid, etc. makes me a lot less sorry that I buy new and run it until it dies on the side of the road.
That works.........probably was cheap as buying 2-3 years old and trading more often.........

When I worked in the auto industry, we LOVED used car buyers..........they were the type of buyer that gets itchy every 3 years or so and wants a different used car.

New car cash buyers we wouldn't see for 7-10 years................

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:25 AM   #49

Quote:
It's not as bad as it sounds. Actually it's quite entertaining and rewarding for people who likes cars, or anything with an engine that goes vrooom vrooooom. But I understand your view too.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:30 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's not as bad as it sounds. Actually it's quite entertaining and rewarding for people who likes cars, or anything with an engine that goes vrooom vrooooom. But I understand your view too.
We need a permanent "car thread" to share wisdom........I know 73454 is in..........

Old 06-05-2007, 10:38 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You have to understand: I don't even change my oil. I do my job and my mechanic does his...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:44 AM   #52

Quote:
You have to understand: I don't even change my oil.
I do understand. I don't change my oil either. Wait a minute, you meant your car's oil, right?
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:56 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hey, it's not the fresh meat-- it's the thrill of the hunt. It's like finding that neglected small-cap with an unrecognized asset on its balance sheet, an income statement that justifies a P/E of four, rising margins & cash flow, and a huge short interest.

Quote:
You have to understand: I don't even change my oil. I do my job and my mechanic does his...
It's probably a better use of your time (and your salary/bonus) to keep paying him to give you more time at financial analysis.

It makes more sense than being three months behind on the oil changes due to high surf...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:32 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Nords:

This should be on your X-mas list this year:

CarMD - The easy-to-use handheld automotive diagnostic tool and software package

Old 06-05-2007, 02:52 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Nords:
This should be on your X-mas list this year:
Better yet, Father's Day is upon us!

I can always use another diagnostic toy tool...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 06-05-2007, 03:10 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

My Odyssey has an oil life idiot light on it. When it gets to 5%, I get an oil change..........

My dad was a fanatic about oil changes every 3500 miles. When I stupidly asked why once, his response?

"Because you can buy a LOT of oil changes for the price of a new engine"............

Old 06-05-2007, 03:52 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
My Odyssey has an oil life idiot light on it. When it gets to 5%, I get an oil change..........

My dad was a fanatic about oil changes every 3500 miles. When I stupidly asked why once, his response?

"Because you can buy a LOT of oil changes for the price of a new engine"............
I LOVE the "heres what to do with me now" light on our honda. Saves me a boatload of time remembering when I did what last.

The 3000 mile oil change was invented by jiffy lube, and a fabulous marketing campaign it was. In independent lab tests, modern oil under the absolute worst possible conditions was still quite viable after more than 5000 miles.

I guess the bottom line is to follow the manufacturers recommended maintenance. I try to beat that by a little bit because its just not that expensive, but I figure since the average joe isnt doing a TCO on his car buying options, they're not going to stretch any of that further out than they have to.

What cracks me up is when the dealer, on selling you a new car, includes their own recommended maintenance schedule, which does twice as much, twice as often, for four times the price of what the manufacturer recommends.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:23 PM   #58

Quote:
We should hook up, Wildcat. I've been getting the new car itch, and am deciding what to do with my 1-owner, well-maintained, nothing-wrong-with-it-except-I-want-a-new-car 1994 Honda Accord. There is a pretty good chance I will be selling it to a friend for his daughter, but if that doesn't work out, I was thinking about Craigslist. DH doesn't want to deal with "unknown" people, and would prefer to just trade it to avoid the hassle.
Hmm, where are you located: east coast, upper south area? I bi-locate right now so send me a PM. No joke

Quote:
Hey, it's not the fresh meat-- it's the thrill of the hunt. It's like finding that neglected small-cap with an unrecognized asset on its balance sheet, an income statement that justifies a P/E of four, rising margins & cash flow, and a huge short interest.
That's scary. I can see Nords pulling out the Sunday classifieds and circling potential victims.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:27 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
Hmm, where are you located: east coast, upper south area? I bi-locate right now so send me a PM. No joke
I've been wondering if CJ would ship to Hawaii, but that's probably a losing proposition even if it's ballast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
That's scary. I can see Nords pulling out the Sunday classifieds and circling potential victims.
That's so last millenium.

Craigslist. But the stalking analogy is appropriate!

Old 06-05-2007, 06:36 PM   #60

Quote:
Craigslist. But the stalking analogy is appropriate!