Aurora Borealis Video

If one can get far away from traffic and city noise you can actually hear the aurora buzz and crackle. About 30 years ago the radar station I worked at was receiving noise off the aurora. One of the support contractors sent their aurora expert up to look at what we were seeing; we discovered the "expert" had never actually seen the aurora. We took him out that evening to see what he had been missing.

If one can get far away from traffic and city noise you can actually hear the aurora buzz and crackle.

Yeah, the video is a little misleading, actually, the Aurora Borealis doesn't really play that particular music in the background.

Pretty good show. Thanks, RonBoyd for the reminder.

My memory is of being in the north Atlantic around 72 degrees north latitude near Jan Mayen volcanic Island in the early seventies. On the research ship trying to make radio contact with NY, and hearing absolute silence on the short wave radio receiver. Cranking the RF and audio gain fully up, still nothing but a faint hiss in the headphones. Running tests showed radio receiver and transmitter were working fine, went up on deck to check the antenna.

Saw the most beautiful light show ever. I recall a lot more colors than the video, more purple, violets and reds. It was truly jaw dropping. Lasted a few hours. Forgot all about the radio contact.

The ionized upper atmosphere prevented any short wave radio comms. Later rousted sparky (the ship's radio officer), he was able to make contact in the long wave band around 100 Khz, slow morse code. VLF also worked, but was not interested in contacting submarines.

Had similar experience, many years later, in the northern parts of the Bering sea on a different trip out of St Paul island.

Another one of those memories for grins when I'm too old to do anything else for grins.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom