Auto Maintenance - What Do We Really Need?

Too bad there isn't some other form of vehicular transportation that would eliminate all this hassle.

I go to Hyundai's web site and follow what it says to do for that mileage.

We don't use the dealer for regular maintenance. We go to a local shop. They charge $79 for a full synth oil change, which includes various simple "inspections."

Why is it almost every trip to an auto dealer service department leads to all sorts of other recommended services beyond what you think you need? Almost every time I've compared what the dealer recommends to what's in the manufacturers maintenance manual, the dealer is WAY over padding "service." And they keep coming up with new services that have to be researched, at least for those of us who want what's truly needed/value added, and what's unnecessary. It seems dealer service departments will charge 2X-3X if you let them. Today I paid $79 for a synthetic oil change & tire rotation, they recommended a service that would have cost $328+tax (basic) or $608+tax ("show the love") - and more than half the services were "inspections" which suggests to me even more $ if they find something!!!

Today they recommended replacing brake fluid. Should that be done periodically, probably. But while at the dealership I did a little research online and manufacturers recommend from 20K to 150K miles! I think it was CR who I read says if your brake fluid is still clean and without water, it doesn't need to be replaced.

I'm tired of researching online during/after almost every visit. Anyone know of a resource that can recommend what's value added service and not? [For normal use like most of us, I realize there are exceptions for heavy use, offroad, extreme weather, towing, etc.]

I go to Hyundai's web site and follow what it says to do for that mileage.

We don't use the dealer for regular maintenance. We go to a local shop. They charge $79 for a full synth oil change, which includes various simple "inspections."
Unfortunately manufacturers recommendations vary from 20K to 150K, and some are in years from 1 year to 5 years. There’s no way both extremes can be right, so some manufacturers are either being overly cautious or helping dealers increase services. I’ve always followed the manuals instead of dealers, but that line may become blurred? I was hoping to find one site with the right answers but I guess I’ll have to research many services as they come up...:(

We just moved to a new area so we don’t know who the reputable independent mechanics are, and frankly as cars get ever more sophisticated/complex I wonder if independents can stay current?

Last edited:
"It's the thermotrocle that's feeding the framis and discombobulating the turboencabulator, you know what I'm saying?"

[-]"Oh, yes, I understand that."
[/-]
"Hold on, spell that for me so I can search for this with my phone."

"Nobody else in town will do it; they all send their really hard jobs to me. I'm up to here in work. You'll have to leave it and I'll get to just as soon as I possibly can."

[-]"Thank you so much. I was really worried about it, but it's in good hands now and I know you'll charge me a fair price."[/-]
"Yeah, I'm not getting any hits at all on those terms, I think you're making it up. Bye"
or
"That's pretty rare, and from what I read if this was the problem I'd be seeing these symptoms, which I don't have. Bye."
or possibly
"Yep, you're right, I need to get that fixed, let me know when you can."
FIFY

I was in the car business for 24 years, and my family still owns a luxury car dealership in a city of 1 million people. The dealership is #1 in Service Sales of all dealerships in the city with 17 service technicians and 9 service writers processing 75 incoming cars on average.

Let me just say the Service Writer is not the customer's best friend. They are a commissioned salesman who's job is to sell $900 brake jobs to little old ladies that should be more like $350. And they have no conscience.

I do my own maintenance like oil changes, etc. It's only a 30 minute job, and often the most peaceful time of my day. I also maintain my two boats.

Modern automobiles if properly maintained will go a long way. I've only had one recall in the last 600,000 miles driven--and not the first warranty claim. I did have to replace a starter last week on my diesel pickup truck, but I'm not complaining since it's 18 years old.

Ditto what everyone else has said.

I generally follow the maintenance schedule in my owner's manual. I follow the regular version because the "heavy duty" one doesn't apply to how I drive.

I did finally put together a spreadsheet of when each line item is due based on the last time or mileage it was done. (Some stuff is time related, some is mileage related.)

There are a couple of things that they recommend in the manual that I don't bother with, such as replacing the fuel tank cap gasket. I think I know why they recommend that every six years, and I just haven't had the problem they are trying to prevent.

But yeah, Lexus/Toyota/Honda, owner's manual maintenance schedule, stay away from the dealer except for recall work and free stuff, DIY or have a trusted mechanic. Oh, and Chilton's manual online via your library subscription.

(My Lexus is 27 years old and has 188K miles on it and is in perfectly decent shape. I drive it all over and consider it to be very reliable.)

Hyundai seems to go by mileage. Since our mileage is fairly low, and our driving style would be called "severe" (lots of stop and go), I just extrapolate and ask for the service that goes with a bit more mileage than we have. I know you are more precise and analytical in your thinking than I, so that method mightn't suit you.

We are also new here, and took a chance on a local shop based on a recommendation from one of the contractors we have hired (our "new" house needed lots of work). I just asked where he took his family's vehicles. Asking a neighbor would have been the fallback position.

Unfortunately manufacturers recommendations vary from 20K to 150K, and some are in years from 1 year to 5 years. There’s no way both extremes can be right, so some manufacturers are either being overly cautious or helping dealers increase services. I’ve always followed the manuals instead of dealers, but that line may become blurred? I was hoping to find one site with the right answers but I guess I’ll have to research many services as they come up...:(

We just moved to a new area so we don’t know who the reputable independent mechanics are, and frankly as cars get ever more sophisticated/complex I wonder if independents can stay current?

I follow the manufactures recommended mtce.

I have always passed on those XXXXmile all in cost checks. I keep a close eye on when to replace all fluids...oil, transmission, brake, power steering.

After the car was 8 or 10 years old I started going to a private mechanic who was factory trained in my vehicles. I took the recommendation of several people at work who had been dealing with this mechanic for years.

The private mechanic has been a very good experience. None of the courtesy vehicle rides home, the car wash etc, or the nice waiting room but the reduced cost of service more than makes up for it.

It is not rocket science to change out burned out light bulbs or air filter , cabin air filter. You Tubers make easy to learn videos about it. I have saved hundreds of dollars over the years in dealer mechanic labor fees by doing it myself.

other than for warranty work and assuming you don't want to do it yourself an independent garage is the only way to fly. our shop takes good care of the required maihtenance and if something else needs attention they will point it out, explain why it's needed and quote the cost.

I was in the car business for 24 years, and my family still owns a luxury car dealership in a city of 1 million people. The dealership is #1 in Service Sales of all dealerships in the city with 17 service technicians and 9 service writers processing 75 incoming cars on average.

Let me just say the Service Writer is not the customer's best friend. They are a commissioned salesman who's job is to sell $900 brake jobs to little old ladies that should be more like $350. And they have no conscience.

I do my own maintenance like oil changes, etc. It's only a 30 minute job, and often the most peaceful time of my day. I also maintain my two boats.

Modern automobiles if properly maintained will go a long way. I've only had one recall in the last 600,000 miles driven--and not the first warranty claim. I did have to replace a starter last week on my diesel pickup truck, but I'm not complaining since it's 18 years old.
Service writers at my Honda dealer won't pull that stunt with me. They are too busy telling me to rate them 5 star in the online review. It affects their pay. They are good and fair to me so I rate them well.

This! Treat your discussion with the service writer like you would a new car price negotiation.

Better yet, patronize shops that don't constantly put the screws to you.

I was a manager for a tire store for 10 years it was a chain store and the biggest thing they wanted was for every car to get at least $100.00 extra service for every time the lift went up. Lets just say the service manager made himself & me a good bonus every month. From there I was with the largest autoparts retailer for 25 years. I was always a 3000 mile oil change guy, and only recently have loosened up to the 5000 mile change. When my DW bought her 2019 Highlander she set up her appt. for her 1st oil change at 5000 miles and we went in. They took her car back and came back out 45 min later and gave her the key and said every thing looked great and see her in 5000 more miles for her 1st oil change. Yep 10,000 mi. is the recommended time on hers now. With covid she is up to 8800 now 15 months into ownership, so we will be going next week to get her 1st change and that is all she will get. As many have stated ask around, go to a parts store and ask who the old guy on the counter would use to do what ever service is needed and then go to an independent. I had many times a customer would come in with an Itemized "service" required list to check prices if they DIY it and it was scary at times how bad they were getting ripped off. The only time I see the dealer is for recalls or warranty work period.

I took my 2012 prius in for an oil change and the service writer said I needed to change the coolant and inverter coolant and the cost is about 500. I did a little research and it turns out that you put a quarter inch hose on the petcock in the coolant line and drain it. they do not do a flush on these cars. it says to use oem coolant which is 20. per gallon from the dealer. I have done a lot of diy on cars and this is a no brainer.

Too bad there isn't some other form of vehicular transportation that would eliminate all this hassle.
[emoji38][emoji28][emoji1787][emoji6]

The windshield washer stopped working - fluid wasn't coming out - and when I looked in the reservoir I couldn't see anything, so I put some Rainx in there. When this did not work, I called the dealership for an appointment, since the warranty was still active. Didn't want to go fiddling around in there on my own looking for something loose :)

The man at the dealership asked if I'd put any fluid in the reservoir, and I said yes. "Was it Hyundai washer fluid? Anything else will invalidate the warranty. Anything but the Hyundai formula could gum it up." I hung up. And checked the owner's manual again. It says Hyundai fluid is recommended, but nothing about "don't use anything else."

When I told them this at our regular shop, they fell around laughing. "How are they gonna know if it's Hyundai fluid in there? Do they come in different colors?" "Are you sure you didn't call the Ferrari dealership by mistake?"

Well, I stewed about this for weeks. Finally I took the car to the dealership without mentioning that I'd added any fluid. In 15 minutes they found that a tube had come out of the reservoir, put it back in and the washer has worked fine ever since.

So the moral is...actually, I'm not sure. Don't answer questions from a car dealership?

They come with other built-in hassles...that's why so many people choose to own their transportation.
I think he was referring to those privately owned vehicles that run on smug.

Today they recommended replacing brake fluid. Should that be done periodically, probably. But while at the dealership I did a little research online and manufacturers recommend from 20K to 150K miles! I think it was CR who I read says if your brake fluid is still clean and without water, it doesn't need to be replaced.

]
FYI
I mentioned it elsewhere, my 1999 Suburban 3/4 ton had the first brake fluid change a few monts ago, around 130,000 miles. It was as result of me having decided that the 20 year old flexibe brake lines had seen better days, had them changed. Blown brake lines in winter are not fun.

Naturally the brake system got drained when said lines were removed.

YMMV

I think he was referring to those privately owned vehicles that run on smug.

Ah... ;)

That being said, you can expect to get at least 200k miles out of most modern engines made by a few reputable manufacturers with nothing more than basic maintenance, which isn't that onerous.

All the other stuff like tires, brakes, computer screens, computer chips, window motors, AC, etc. are common to every vehicle regardless of how they run and have the same lifespan.

Ah... ;)

That being said, you can expect to get at least 200k miles out of most modern engines made by a few reputable manufacturers with nothing more than basic maintenance, which isn't that onerous.

All the other stuff like tires, brakes, computer screens, computer chips, window motors, AC, etc. are common to every vehicle regardless of how they run and have the same lifespan.

Regardless of how much smug they consume.:D

Our Camry had 275K plus when we gave it to our son. Never burned a drop of oil. Same with our Accord. It has 150K and runs like a top. No intention of replacing it at least for 4 or 5 years. Then....maybe electric.

Sounds like FAs doing a little churning.

Back
Top Bottom