Join Early Retirement Today

Auto Maintenance - What Do We Really Need?
Old 12-01-2020, 08:03 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Auto Maintenance - What Do We Really Need?

Why is it almost every trip to an auto dealer service department leads to all sorts of other recommended services beyond what you think you need? Almost every time I've compared what the dealer recommends to what's in the manufacturers maintenance manual, the dealer is WAY over padding "service." And they keep coming up with new services that have to be researched, at least for those of us who want what's truly needed/value added, and what's unnecessary. It seems dealer service departments will charge 2X-3X if you let them. Today I paid $79 for a synthetic oil change & tire rotation, they recommended a service that would have cost $328+tax (basic) or $608+tax ("show the love") - and more than half the services were "inspections" which suggests to me even more $ if they find something!!!

Today they recommended replacing brake fluid. Should that be done periodically, probably. But while at the dealership I did a little research online and manufacturers recommend from 20K to 150K miles! I think it was CR who I read says if your brake fluid is still clean and without water, it doesn't need to be replaced.

I'm tired of researching online during/after almost every visit. Anyone know of a resource that can recommend what's value added service and not? [For normal use like most of us, I realize there are exceptions for heavy use, offroad, extreme weather, towing, etc.]

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2020, 08:13 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I take my cars to an independent garage where they only do what's needed. They follow the manufacturer's maintenance schedule, and only occasionally recommend something more, like brakes, when they are really needed.

Not all places are like that, but it's worth it to find one and stick to it. Ask locals around for recommendations. The worst I've found are some of those franchises, where the service manager must get bonuses for up-sells. One of them in Raleigh tried to talk me into the extreme weather schedule "because it gets so hot here". I went back to read on that, and it's for Arizona desert type temps, not North Carolina. They are worse than the dealers I've occasionally used.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:18 AM   #3

I just follow the manual. I figure that the manufacturer has done all the research necessary. Of course one might have a belief that the manufacture has a vested interest in your vehicle being replaced more frequently, but I know if I follow the manual, I’m easily going to get 100,000 miles or 10 years out of a vehicle. I’m sure 150K to 200K is reasonable with just following the manual. If someone wants more than that, then go ahead and look for things you can fix, repair . . . before they are actually needed. Nothing wrong with that, but for my ownership framework, not necessary.

My framework. If I get ten years out of my truck, I’ll have about 100K on it and I’ll be close to 70. I may keep the truck a little longer than 10/100, but pretty soon I’ll be wanting another vehicle, which is unfortunately likely to be my last. Accordingly, I see no reason or benefit to extra maintenance measures. YMMV
Old 12-01-2020, 08:20 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, this is becoming more of the norm - any way they can squeeze additional profit, they are now going for it...even if it amounts to outright lying or scamming the customer.

A few weeks ago, I took my car in for an oil change at a particular location of a nationally recognized chain, which I've gone to for many years. On this visit, as part of the free inspection, a few of the recommended services included changing the drive belt (which counter rep described as being "cracked and rotted"), wheel alignment, something with the steering column, and some other work on my rear drum brakes.

I tell the girl "I'm obviously not getting all that done today, so just put it all on my paperwork with the prices". Well, for the cracked and rotted drive belt, they were going to charge me $62 (just the belt, and additionally $138 for labor to replace). This national chain, on their website shows the belt for every day price of $21 and currently on sale for $16 - right in the same store! So, when I'm at home, I order the OEM replacement belt (not the cheap knockoff they were going to sell me) for $19. I order a special tool (won Ebay auction getting it for $7) to move the belt tensioner to allow me to easily replace it. So once I have everything, I go to replace the belt, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it!!! No rotting, no cracks at all.

As for the alignment - bogus nonsense they tell everyone. My tires show no abnormal wear. When I'm driving on the highway and I release the steering wheel car goes straight as an arrow. So, why does it need an alignment? Did they hook up the computer and get the current measurments showing it was out of spec? If they wanted me to pay $99 for the alignment, well, obviously that would have been the way to do it.

Long story short, these folks are looking for additional business and are willing to lie and lose whatever trust they've had from existing customers to do it. For the prices they're quoting, I'm willing to learn and do it myself. There are enough Youtube videos out there on most any car repair for your specific make/model.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:29 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I do have my oil changes with a local dealer but that is all I have done with them. They are cheaper for that service to get you in the door and do what you are describing.

They will do a check on all the components and when I see something they recommend I will do it myself or take to a couple of private guys that do that kind of work. I have saved a bunch doing business that way.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:32 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been ripped off on car repair more than I like to think about - both at dealerships and independent shops. I finally found a service advisor, at a new car dealership no less, that treated me fairly so I took everything to him. When he left the dealership to manage an independent shop with a great reputation I switched with him to that shop. As others said - ask around and you might find the right place or person - then get to know your service advisor and stick with him/her.
JRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:34 AM   #7
gone traveling

Follow the recommendations in your owners manual. There is way too much profit motivation for dealers and too many gullible owners to take advantage of.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:39 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I do oil change once every year. I only get my car fixed if there is any obvious problem. No other regular maintenance. I have a 2010 Lexus RX350.

I had my other Infiniti cars' timing belt changed after 5 years and flippers changed after 2 years under dealer's recommendations. After those things happened, I have not visited the dealers unless I had real problems. The only real problem I had with my Lexus RX350 for the past 11 years is to replace a water pump.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:41 AM   #9

the recommendations are not based on need, but upselling. It's the auto dealer's equivalent of "you want fries with that?"
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:44 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

It is a real pain to try to get a dealer to unwind their "packages" and just focus on what is in the owner's manual. We have a lot of threads about new car negotiations, but it turns out negotiating with your service advisor may be just as important.

When you are working, you don't have time to get up and walk. As retirees, we should use our privilege of walking if they can't give you the service you ask for, at a decent price.

And I don't trust these huge charges for "inspections." I think some of the harder ones are skipped, and only the easy ones, with high profit, are properly executed. Heck, the last time I stepped foot in the dealer's service bay was for a recall. Funny, they did a bunch of free inspections and recommended $800 of brake work. I did my own inspection. The brakes were fine. 18 months later I replaced the pads on my own.

One more thing: I believe at my last paid-for service, they snuck in a dirty cabin air filter as proof I needed it changed. Supposedly, it was from my car and he took it out for inspection purposes. They squeezed me to pay for a new one. I should have told them to put the dirty one back in. I don't believe it was mine. I replaced it a few times on my own and it never even approached what they showed me. My driving patterns didn't change in that time, and it was less than 18 months old. As I was still working, and in a hurry, I buckled. Thinking about it later, I made a note to never return to that dealer.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:50 AM   #11

Check your oil, coolant, brake fluid, and power steering fluids regularly. Top up as needed. Check your tire treads and pressures. Change your oil and filter regularly. That varies from one manufacturer to another but you can go a lot further between changes today than the 3000 miles or so when I first started driving. I've been really bad about changing the oil in our cars, but have over 220K on my car now and it's still running fine.

Other items I replace regularly, whether they are bad or not are air filters (engine and cabin), belts, and spark plugs. They're a small cost but can cause big problems if they fail. Have your timing belt changed on schedule too. If that fails you'll have massive engine problems.

I have never changed brake fluid as routine, but in the past it got replaced with new fluid when I replaced brake cylinders. Thankfully, I haven't had to do that in years.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:01 AM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Follow the recommendations in your owners manual. . . .
This is the key. I owned a 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid for 11.5 years before I retired. During that time, I performed all the preventative maintenance, service and inspections myself at exactly the intervals specified in the manual, and I only performed that specified maintenance (unless something broke, or needed replaced - like brake pads, then I fixed it). When I gave the car away a week after my retirement, it had 305,000 miles on it and was running well. For all I know, it's still going strong today.

P.S. - brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs water from the air, which compromises the braking system) so it needs replaced every 3-4 years or so, regardless of mileage.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:06 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I have a good independent mechanic I take my cars for service. So far he has done a good job. I have never had to return to get a repair redone. There is no pressure to do extra work, though they certainly will note possible future problems and safety issues.

My car calls for synthetic oil and filter changed every year or 10,000 miles. I go 8000 miles between changes since I do a lot of cold start, stop-and-go driving. Due to less driving during covid, I changed oil at 6000 a while back since my year was up.

I wish automobiles had timers in them. I would rather service my car based upon hours of operation. Also, I can pretend it's a jet plane.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:10 AM   #14

My 2017 Honda Ridgeline doesn't even have a maintenance schedule in the manual but relies entirely on the vehicle's computer to tell you when maintenance is required. I was a bit skeptical when it said to change the differential oil at around 16k miles, but a little research showed that was real for this vehicle, at least for the first time. I keep getting emails and snail mail flyers telling me to bring it in to do this or do that, but I stick with what the vehicle tells me.

I do recall years ago reading in CR about maintenance and it said to stick with the manufacturers' recommendations. One thing to look out for is the dealer claiming that "in this part of the country we follow the heavy use schedule because it's abnormally hot/cold/wet/dry/dusty here." CR said they consulted manufacturer engineers who said, no, we factor in most of the country in our recommendations and that only applies to truly heavy-duty situations.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:12 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

The only time I'll take my cars to a dealer is for warranty work or to trade it in on a new one. (Period) I do all my own maintenance. e.g. change my engine and transmission oil/filters at specific intervals. Tires and brakes when there are worn to certain points (visual inspections) and I try to remember to change my batteries every 3 years. Other than adding gas to the tank or air to the tires that's about all the PM I do. When something does break, I fix it.

Honestly I don't even like to take my cars in for warranty work... To me, it's a hassle and they usually end up breaking something else.

Other than that I generally take the approach of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:13 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Thankfully, we have an independent auto service we have gone to for over 30 years. Well respected in the community. He has kept our cars going well over 150-200,000 miles over time.
Rarely have we ever done more than oil changes, filter changes, tire rotation, occasional wiper blade replacement and some fan belts. He does full inspection each visit, calls with estimates before doing anything. Great place.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Why is it almost every trip to an auto dealer service department leads to all sorts of other recommended services beyond what you think you need?
The problem is inherent within the question. Stop going to the dealer, unless it's something under warranty, or unless the work requires very specific equipment that only the dealer has.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:47 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

OK. To the point.
1. Avoid Dealerships. High overhead. High prices and they are always pushing for services not needed.
2. Find honest independent mechanic. (ask friend/neighbors). Ask, car savvy, DIY, home mechanics, the independent mechanics they use.
3. Do your research. Buy "reliable brand car" (ie Toyota) in the beginning. You will have fewer repairs in the future.
4. Spend a few hours on you-tube. Scotty Kilmer, you tube. You will gather a lot of
car information, that will answer your original post.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:54 PM   #19

I go to the dealers for our two cars for only one reason: both give free oil changes and state inspections for life. I just ignore any recommendations that aren’t necessary to pass inspection, and since both vehicles are fairly new that hasn’t happened.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I take my cars to an independent garage where they only do what's needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I just follow the manual. I figure that the manufacturer has done all the research necessary.
What those two guys said. I used to do all or at least most of my maintenance but my days of crawling around under vehicles are over. But at least I know enough to know when I'm being lied to.