Join Early Retirement Today

Back From Burning Man 2
Old 09-11-2010, 12:03 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Back From Burning Man 2

Actually our third visit but posted a Back From BM last year and didn't want to duplicate the title.

It just keeps getting better, 51,000 people create a city in the desert for a week. Wonderful art, art cars, music, gifting economy and just remarkable place to be. Blessedly cool and only one short white out to remind people what it can be like. CNN had a decent story (after a commercial which one would never have@BM ):

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2010, 05:55 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So Yakers were you in costume? Any photos?
Old 09-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #3

Many pictures, I wish I could post a video of the 'fashion show' complete with 3 professional designers and announcers before it was opened to everyone on the floor, don't know which part was better. You'd never watch Project Runway again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0267.jpg (63.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0198.jpg (80.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2733.jpg (87.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2691.jpg (451.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2704.jpg (412.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 09-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #4

Yakers, do you have more photos? These are great! Would love to see more!
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Very Cool! I'm gonna add this to my bucket list...sounds like an amazing event!
NW Landlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Wow! I love Aladdin's RV! Upgraded from a carpet I guess!
Old 09-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Too cool.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:10 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

It's on my bucket list.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:26 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I vaguely know the history of Burning Man, starting in San Francisco in the 70s, moving to the desert, etc. But does anyone know whether the first participants derived it from the Santa Fe Sosobra (sp?) festival that features a burning man?
Old 09-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I vaguely know the history of Burning Man, starting in San Francisco in the 70s, moving to the desert, etc. But does anyone know whether the first participants derived it from the Santa Fe Sosobra (sp?) festival that features a burning man?
I would think so - Santa Fe is pretty artsyfartsy and would suspect some familiarity with Zozobra by the burning man creators. Zozobra - history
The burning of Zozobra is very weird - his groans and arms flailing about as he is torched, the crowd roaring out to burn him.. not a good place to be doing psychedelics.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Someone should organize a similiar event for old retired farts like me. We could burn a figure representing the typical boss in an office cubicle. Later we could smash office equipment round the campfire....

(warning: adult language)

Old 09-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

My cousin left early this year because of weather. Some of us love to re-live the 60s!
Old 09-12-2010, 06:10 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Someone should organize a similiar event for old retired farts like me. We could burn a figure representing the typical boss in an office cubicle. Later we could smash office equipment round the campfire....
I love that movie.

Some years ago the fax at my workplace disappeared. I don't know who took it, but I wonder if...
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Narcs at Burning Man? Surely you jest!
Old 09-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Narcs at Burning Man? Surely you jest!

RENO, Nev. —
A Hong Kong fashion model was busted on felony drug charges at the Burning Man counterculture festival in Nevada and crashed her rented motor home into Reno's landmark arch the next day, authorities said Wednesday.

Entertainment | Hong Kong model arrested after Nevada desert event | Seattle Times Newspaper
Old 09-15-2010, 11:01 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Nice pants, yakers.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:27 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
RENO, Nev. —
A Hong Kong fashion model was busted on felony drug charges at the Burning Man counterculture festival in Nevada and crashed her rented motor home into Reno's landmark arch the next day, authorities said Wednesday.

Entertainment | Hong Kong model arrested after Nevada desert event | Seattle Times Newspaper
News you can use: Rosemary Vandenbroucke - Google Search

Ecstasy. indeed.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:27 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I've been watching a lot of the hoop videos made out there--one day we will see you there, Yakers! Thanks for keeping us updated on the festivities. And I agree with Martha, nice pants!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #18

I've been fascinated by tales from Burning Man, and totally want to go - but I wonder, would a law-abiding, not-so-artsy-fartsy person like me be out of place? (not concerned with what others do...) I can come up with odd costumes, and follow the recommended protective devices (dust masks, etc)...but have concerns regarding drugs, etc.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:28 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

One thing about drugs... they aren't infectious, you won't catch the stuff. My cousin doesn't use drugs at all but has attended for many years & has a great time. He is in his late 60s, I suspect he is re-living the adventures of the 60's.

He left early this year because of the predicted winds which would generate a lot of dust, there is always next year.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2020 View Post
I've been fascinated by tales from Burning Man, and totally want to go - but I wonder, would a law-abiding, not-so-artsy-fartsy person like me be out of place? (not concerned with what others do...) I can come up with odd costumes, and follow the recommended protective devices (dust masks, etc)...but have concerns regarding drugs, etc.
While some people like artists will really flourish there, Burning Man is for everyone. I recommend that people go their first time and just look around and do what feels right. There are so many aspects to the place to find what particularly interests you. There is a VW bus camp, solar powered camps, a knitting camp, many, many drinking camps,we were in a dance camp, there are countless things to do but just wander around and see what grabs you. I went into a Reggae & IPA camp, the people were too young for me and I prefer less DUB in my reggae music but the IPA was incredibly good. My wife went to a camp where people worked on your hair, fellows like buff Chippendales served Cosmopolitans to the ladies & did their hair and shooed away spouses & males. You just gotta love the whole operation, everyone is welcome as they are. My son would describe me as pretty boring. Just be whatever you are and if the feeling moves you, 'take a walk on the wild side' , its a safe place to do so, like Vegas, what happens there pretty much stays there although some legal marriages are contracted there.

And for Sarah, the hoop dancers and fire dancers are beyond belief. I think there were more fire dancers there than in the entire South Pacific. In our camp there was one young nerdy/mousey looking fellow, looked like the last guy to get a date in HS or college, started spinning a hoop and everyone's jaw dropped, one of the best I have ever seen.