Backpack Leaf Blower

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have been thinking of getting a backpack leaf blower. Has anyone got one and any suggestions or things to be aware of?

I would like to get a 4 stroke engine if I did get one. I haven't researched so will see what is out there.

In our last place I had a Husqvarna backpack blower which was wonderful and got used a lot.

I currently have a Husqvarna that I’ve used for years. No problems at all. Had a cheaper brand, Black and Decker, before that. The carburetor kept getting fouled with dust or debris. Never understood why since I tried to keep good air filters on it. Finally gave up and bought the Husqvarna and haven’t seen the problem again. Similar story with my prior cheap Poulan chainsaw and my current Husqvarna chainsaw.

I have a Husqvarna as well. Works great! Starts 3rd pull (slowly) w/choke every time afte pumping the primer bulb a few times. Take off choke as soon as it starts. Just be sure the on/off switch is in the on position. It should have been a momentary switch but it's not and can throw you.

Also, if you are in California, order off eBay from out of state or you'll get the CARB compliant version. Those are way too lean and needs a special tool to set correctly. It's a trick I've learned and now have weed trimmer, blower and lawn mower that actually start and run as they were designed.

If I had my way I'd outlaw the damn things; fall is nothing but the constant whir of leaf blowers around here. That said, I surrendered and decided that if you're going, go big. Got the biggest Stihl, said it would blow a brick down a driveway. I believe it really will. Yes, it's probably a bit heavier than many for all that power but it's always started and I can don the ear muffs and be done far quicker than the smaller Husqvarna I used to have.

Somewhat different subject but Good Lord this is one of the years we're having a bumper crop of acorns. Dog is even cautious to walk out on the deck with the bombardment.

I wish they would nominate one day a week as blowing day and we could have silence the rest of the days. There's a gardener that comes once a week for the neighbor's yard and I swear he's meditating as he stands in one place and blows and blows and blows. I want to run over there sometimes and just pick up that one leaf that he's spent 5 minutes trying to move.

Last edited:
Thanks for the first hand experience. I don't want a cheap off brand one I know what a problem weed whackers can be it you buy a cheap one.

Thanks

I have a Stihl leaf blower, brush trimmer, edger, string trimmer and chainsaw. Most of which are more than 10 years old and run great.

I don’t have any experience with a stihl backpack blower, but I suspect that it would be very good.

^ I would agree with you, they make a quality product. I have used their chain saws and they have been a great saw.

I've had my big Shindaiwa for over 25 years and it still performs quite well. Was basically the first/lowest "pro" level model at the time.

Pricey for me then, but we've always had acreage and trees....

^ just looked them up. 260$ for a 58cc, 2 stroke. That is a good price for that bigger unit.

Thanks!

Ryobi makes a battery powered backpack leaf blower. I haven't used it, but their other battery tools get a lot of positive comments.

I switched from blowing in the wind to Ego dual battery mower. Mulches in place, throws or collects. Of course I have no grass so this makes sense for lot.

What I have in mind for this blower is to remove snow from long driveway and sidewalks. I seen a guy last year remove snow from a sidewalk, and we had on at least 6 to 8 inches of snow. It cleared the snow like nothing I ever have seen. I'm sure it was a large unit but did a fantastic job, fast and clean.

I have done that with a backpack blower and it works well if the snow is very dry. But around here we usually get a wetter snow and the blower is mostly useless.

I have an old Echo backpack blower (2-stroke, that's all they made at the time) that still runs great, or did the last time I used it a few years ago. I forget the size but it was the biggest one they made at the time. I did always make sure to store if off-season with the fuel system drained and dry.

Re moving snow, that has only worked for me if the snow was very dry and not too thick, no more than a couple of inches. Any more than that and a leaf blower wouldn't do it.

I have done that with a backpack blower and it works well if the snow is very dry. But around here we usually get a wetter snow and the blower is mostly useless.
Exactly right.

I would recommend a Stihl if you want a pro-grade blower for years of service and the higher expensive is not a problem. Or you can buy a Ryobi gas powered backpack blower for much less that will give you a good many years of occasional use (not daily/ 365) at a lower price point.

Ego makes a backpack blower, lighter , quieter, no gas required. I have an older handheld one works great.

I bought a Stihl BR 600 last year. Don’t know how or why I lived with out it. It does use gas/oil mix and sales guy pushed Stihl oil very hard. Easiest pull starter I’ve ever used. Works great on leaves. Also good to blow out garage.

I bought a Husqvarna last year from Lowe's and I'm very happy with it. One thing to watch out for is to check that there aren't broken parts when you buy it. The hand grip is made of hard plastic and mounts to the blower tube. Thing is, the instructions specifically say to mount it before assembling the entire tube because the throttle cable won't let you mount it later, but people can't be bothered to read directions and when they get to this point they try to pry the mounting ring open and it breaks, duh. Then they stuff everything back in the box and take it back for a refund. I went through two with broken parts, then made Lowe's open the box and check the next one before I left the store. Box no. 4 was finally the charm. I blame Lowe's for not checking returned merchandise, not the manufacturer.

I had an Echo backpack blower. One hour of the vibrations, noise and smell and I was beat. Backpack blower nozzles are also a handful to hold onto, and the thing's heavy on your back.

I like the Hitachi hand held 2 stroke blower with the long warranty. Inexpensive too.

^ interesting and glad you brought those issues up. I was wondering about the fuel smell and weight. I beleive about 20lbs on some of them.

Okay, I need to look at the hand held larger units then also.

Thanks for that review.

Ego makes a backpack blower, lighter , quieter, no gas required. I have an older handheld one works great.

I'll second that. The early EGO leaf blower was my first battery powered outdoor tool and I love it. Just pop the battery in and go. No gas, no smell, no difficulties starting, no engines to maintain, and a lot quieter than the gas blowers our neighbors use.

Their newer leaf blowers are even more powerful than the old model I have. I keep thinking about upgrading, but I have a hard time replacing something that still works good.

They do have the commercial backpack blower, but I don't see the need unless you're blowing leaves all day. I don't know if they still offer it, but they also had a backpack battery pack you could use with the handheld blower.

I pop a 5AH battery in my blower and can do our entire property. I have a 7AH battery, but that would probably get a bit heavy for extended use. The 5AH is about my comfortable weight limit. If you had a couple of batteries and the fast charger you could blow all day long if you wanted to.

I also have the EGO self propelled lawnmower, 18" chainsaw, and string trimmer. All are great tools, I sold my gas machines. They have a new two stage snow blower coming out too. That one is tempting, but it's a little pricey when I already have a gas machine that works fine. I just wish I could get rid of the last of my gas outdoor machines. I hate the noise, smell, and maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom