Bacon and other grease

No, I've seen landfills with gas being used to fire co-generation units. Tapping landfill gas for fuel use is common in new landfill design. Many municipalities that are expanding and planning new landfills consider incorporating methane recovery in the design. EPA has a program for it:

Landfill Methane Outreach Program (LMOP) | US EPA

54% of the electricity that we use here at home is generated by landfill methane gas. I don't understand why it isn't mandatory for every significant landfill in the country to be considered for generation.

I did some research and found that the new landfill in the area started a methane capture/generation program last year. The knowledge one gains from this board is incredible. I would have never known this if you guys hadn't mentioned it.

There is a lot of research and debate about this going on these days. It's certainly not settled science either way, but there is a lot of evidence that the old American Heart Association approach is flawed. For example,

'Rise of saturated fat in diet does not raise fats in blood' - Medical News Today

Another interesting article is:

Saturated fat is not the major issue | The BMJ

Yes, we're off topic (sorry). But it's worth it to point out both sides.

Thanks for the counter evidence! I'll make the bacon/bacon double cheese burger part of my daily diet: NOT! Until main stream health organizations are convinced that high fat foods and LDL is good for you, i'll follow the advice of my doctor, and my health screaning recommendations. So far its worked well for me.

I give myself what I call a monthly "Day of Dietary Decadence" figuring that if I do things right the rest of the time one day of misbehavior won't have any long-term effects.

On that one day I will eat anything that strikes my mood, paying no attention whatsoever to the ingredients list. Well, except for gluten. If I ignore that one it gets pretty ugly.

Oops sorry to the OP. I never really answered the thread question. I pour the FAT into a container that is headed for the garbage and wipe the frying pan with a paper towel. Also dab grease from the cooked bacon with paper towels.

It's better than trans fats, but amazingly, trans fats were once thought good

At the time, many restaurants used beef fat for frying, which groups like CSPI believed was far worse than hydrogenated oils, based on the research of the time. Schleifer writes:

[CSPI’S 1986] Fast-Food Guide specifically criticized Taco Bell, Arby’s, Hardee’s, and Wendy’s for frying in beef fat and tropical oils (that is, coconut and palm oils). But it praised Burger King for switching to vegetable shortening in 1986, which it described as “a great boon to Americans’ arteries.” The guide also praised KFC, writing that the chain was “fortunately” frying in “partially saturated soybean oil . . . that is much less saturated than beef fat.”
Two years later, the same group released the report Saturated Fat Attack, which described trans fats as “more healthful” than saturated fats, Schleifer wrote.

In 1990, a New York Times food writer said CSPI’s campaign prompted fast-food chains to “slim down” by switching to frying in shortening.

When Trans Fats Were Healthy - The Atlantic

Awhile back we started cooking bacon in the oven. The bacon strips are laid on a metal rack that holds them about 1/2 inch up from an old baking tray. We line the tray with foil. The bacon comes out crispy, with most of the fat drained off into the tray.

A non-food use I'll add for bacon fat: I tightly coil some paper in a tuna size can, and pour the fat in. These I use as a starter for charcoal in the grill.

A non-food use I'll add for bacon fat: I tightly coil some paper in a tuna size can, and pour the fat in. These I use as a starter for charcoal in the grill.

Oh! What a waste. Wouldn't "poisonous" oils work just as well -- Canola Oil, Corn Oil, or other popular Vegetable oils, for instance?

<big smile>

Back
Top Bottom