Bacon Flowchart

WOW CFB I now have (another) purpose in life. Now I have to figure out how to convince DW that this fits into our 'healthy' diet.
THANKS!

btw, you poppers remind me of my favorite New Year Eve party appetizer, chicken liver wrapped in bacon ... ok ... now you made me drool on my keyboard ... hope it has a protective membrane ...

I just made a batch to go into the smoker tomorrow. Kind of a pain in the butt. I made a dozen by splitting them up the middle, scooping the seeds, filling with the cream cheese mixture and laying a half strip of bacon on top and six by cutting off the top, scooping, filling, sticking a bit of bacon in the top, wrapping with a half slice and skewering with a toothpick. The halving method is 150% easier. I took a couple of cheap foil disposable steam table pans that will just fit into the smoker, put the halved jobs in one and turned the other upside down, poked some holes in it and stood the capped peppers upright by tucking them in the holes. I'll put that on the next shelf up.

The filling I used was about 8oz softened cream cheese, four scallions minced, and about 3 heaping tablespoons of my regular dry rub mix - 4 parts brown sugar, 2 parts chili powder, 1 part smoked paprika, 1 part cumin, 1 part salt, 1 part black pepper, 1 part granulated garlic.

I might sprinkle a little more rub over the top of the whole shebang before I put it in the smoker. Only thing I'm concerned about is that the bacon I used is the extra thick dry cure and it might not cook fully before the pepper starts to disintegrate. I got big honking jalapenos just to be sure they stand up. Most of them are a good 3.5-4" long.

Huh...thought I had a pic of the ABT's in my prior post...

Attachments

• abt.jpg
    abt.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 3
CFB - Can't see the buffalo turds in my browser, got a link to some other photo?

Showed the Fattie to DW - her eyes about popped out... gotta try that one.

R

Golly, just the sight of it all brings tears to my eyes!

Good work Bunny.

Let me sing the praises of Costco's Hormel fully cooked bacon: It's super handy - doesn't stink up the house and leaves just the right amount of fat in the pan to do pancakes or eggs - both if you have a good cast iron pan. Counting the number of strips it's about 1.5 times more expensive than uncooked bacon, but the quality is great, the strips stay flat, very little smoke, and it's so fast i don't wander off and let it cremate.

I tried something new this week: before roasting a chicken I separated the skin from the meat and slid in 2 slices of bacon.

Not bad at all.

Have also done this with herbs and butter slices.

Ok, I haven't read this whole thread, but recently I tried Vosges brand chocolate embedded with real bacon bits. Not bad, but not great either. Made me wonder about dipping whole fresh bacon slices in chocolate though. Anyone tried it?

Ok, I haven't read this whole thread, but recently I tried Vosges brand chocolate embedded with real bacon bits. Not bad, but not great either. Made me wonder about dipping whole fresh bacon slices in chocolate though. Anyone tried it?

I'm sure Bunny has by now. :p

So in honor of the 4th and all things American. I present thine BACON SAUSAGE HOUSE

img_678787_0_ce3308069fa6defc5a6c18fe829b0ef8.jpg

BaconHou.jpg

Bacon House, Bedford, Mass.
Built about 1680 and still standing [ed:1915].
Projection on side of house was not on the orginal house.

I just ate a Chili's Southern Smokehouse Bacon Big Mouth Burger. That's a mouthful to say and to eat. Delicious. I could have had the Smokehouse Bacon Triple The Cheese Big Mouth Burger, but I wasn't hungry. No chocolate on either.

Damn. Im looking back at those poppers wrapped with bacon. I could go for about 50 right now :p

Back
Top Bottom