Bad Movie Selection on Christmas Day

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Well I was told I hog the tv by my daughter; (probably true) So I agree to sit through what I thought was a 'chick flick' called train wreck with Amy Schumer. I have to say I laughed a few times but didn't make it to the end. Recap: her life is a series of drunken one nighters - for example she wakes up - "where am I?" - "Staten Island" - And then we see her taking the ferry back to Manhattan (broke her rule never stay the night) with heels and a too tight gold spandex like skirt.

We are treated to a sene where she asks her boyfriend to talk dirty to her while they are in the act. He fails miserably but to me it felt very contrived and oh so awkward.

Somewhere she gets hooked to a good guy sports doctor and does monogamous route - hooray.

I guess it happened and it is official I am an old fuddy dutty. My daughter told me her generation would enjoy the movie. Really? Because I want my money back.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.

Last edited:
+1. We rented TrainWreck the other night too. I thoughts it might be interesting as it seemed to be well liked. It was appropriately titled. :)

A couple good scenes but I would prefer my $4.99 back.

+1. We rented TrainWreck the other night too. I thoughts it might be interesting as it seemed to be well liked. It was appropriately titled. :)

A couple good scenes but I would prefer my $4.99 back.

Glad to hear it - it really was terrible.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.

On Thanksgiving we watched some TV a bit with our son and his girl friend. He almost always gets the remote and selects something. We all agreed the selection was a really awful movie but funny because it was so bad and took itself seriously. Something about a boat and Russian bad guys and scientists and an old downed Russian spacecraft in the arctic.

Anyway I just left them to it after about 1/2 hour and came back to see the awful ending. Next year I'm getting the controller. >:D:LOL:

I spent some quality time with my mother in law on Xmas.

Yep, I got a full dose of some sort of hell-channel called Insp or something like that: 3 episodes of the Waltons, 3 of Little House on the Prairie, 1 of Dr. Quinn, and then as a bonus, the Dolly Parton story. Ugh. I'd have been thrilled with Trainwreck!

I really do love my husband, is all I can say. Thank goodness it is only once a year I have to sit through the dreck!

Yep, I got a full dose of some sort of hell-channel called Insp or something like that: 3 episodes of the Waltons, 3 of Little House on the Prairie, 1 of Dr. Quinn, and then as a bonus, the Dolly Parton story. Ugh. I'd have been thrilled with Trainwreck!

I really do love my husband, is all I can say. Thank goodness it is only once a year I have to sit through the dreck!

That would make my head explode. Hope he appreciates that level of commitment and sacrifice. :)

Painfully sat through the completion of S1 of Man in the High Castle, which meaders around with many undefined characters, and ends with basically no closure of any story element. I see online many complaints from readers of the book on which MitHC is based, who report the film version is excessively padded, apparently the 10 film-hours cover a mere 60-some pages of the book.

You are a saint! :angel:

Dear departed MIL used to watch Court TV anytime she was awake including at my house when they visited. Thank goodness we have multiple TVs and could go watch something else.

As for watching a movie like Trainwreck with my son... uh oh, no way. I don't want to watch make out scenes with him in the room! How embarrassing even though he is 34 years old!

Many movies are realistic only if one lives a life of debauchery with drugs, alcohol, financial irresponsibility, foolish sex, and bad language. I guess that is what the Entertainment Industry thinks is normal.

Spoiler Alert if you have not seen the new Star Wars, don't go any farther. Also, some advice. Save your money and get the DVD when you can check it out for free from the public library.

Then there are movies like the new Star Wars, which is just a rehash of the previous movies. A Third Death Star?!?! Really? Unexpected, parent-child relationships! Really?!?!?!? Are the writers that devoid of creativity that they have to re-hash the Death Star and family issues again? Pathetic.

Last edited:
Many movies are realistic only if one lives a life of debauchery with drugs, alcohol, financial irresponsibility, foolish sex, and bad language.
Sounds like something to aspire to .. :)

Hey, we watched The Gruffallo, The Gruffallo's Child, More Room on the Broom, The Jungle Book, and The Cat in the Hat Xmas, and I enjoyed them all!

I cannot watch a movie when visiting relatives, as the purpose of visiting them is to chat about stuff.
Once I start watching a movie, I'm in the movie and don't even want anyone to talk.
I only enjoy movies at home/theatre.

I avoided "train wreck" as it seemed stupid, but American Ultra was pretty badly done.
Glad I only spent 50 cents on the blue ray rental.

I just watched Train Wreck and enjoyed it even though I'm not the target audience.

My daughters took me to Sisters over the weekend, I was disappointed as I expect smarter out of Tina Fey.

I thought the Train Wreck movie was good- a good laugh and I like the actors.

I thought the Train Wreck movie was good- a good laugh and I like the actors.

Ditto. Cute story line and LeBron stole every scene he was in. Good thing he can fall back on acting if this basketball career doesn't work out for him.

We usually watch Love Actually over the holidays in the background, at DS's request. Forgot to, this year.

Last edited:
I saw Trainwreck with my ladyfriend in the theater a few months ago. It was terrible, nothing funny. I like Amy Schumer in her standup routines, but she should skip movies. (P.S. If she does any love scenes in bed, she needs to be topless LOL!)

I saw the new Jennifer Lawrence movie. Not bad, but something was missing, not sure what. *Joy* was the title, about a blue collar woman who invents a self-wringing mop and sells it on TV. This movie has the same 3 actors as Silver Linings Playbook : Lawrence, DeNiro, and Bradley Cooper. But it just wasn't half as good as SLP. Worth seeing though, especially if you just need to get out of the house! Edit to add: I think I figured out what was missing: Jennifer Lawrence's character has no real romantic involvement with anyone in the plot.

Last edited:
I also saw "Joy " and I agree . It was good but not great .Silver Linings Playbook was so much better .
PS . I bought that mop years ago & it was a piece of crap .

For an entertaining, enlightening and yet depressing movie, The Big Short about the housing bubble is worth going to. (sorry, not a bad Christmas Day movie)

Back
Top Bottom