Join Early Retirement Today

Bad Movie Selection on Christmas Day
Old 12-28-2015, 04:38 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bad Movie Selection on Christmas Day

Well I was told I hog the tv by my daughter; (probably true) So I agree to sit through what I thought was a 'chick flick' called train wreck with Amy Schumer. I have to say I laughed a few times but didn't make it to the end. Recap: her life is a series of drunken one nighters - for example she wakes up - "where am I?" - "Staten Island" - And then we see her taking the ferry back to Manhattan (broke her rule never stay the night) with heels and a too tight gold spandex like skirt.

We are treated to a sene where she asks her boyfriend to talk dirty to her while they are in the act. He fails miserably but to me it felt very contrived and oh so awkward.

Somewhere she gets hooked to a good guy sports doctor and does monogamous route - hooray.

I guess it happened and it is official I am an old fuddy dutty. My daughter told me her generation would enjoy the movie. Really? Because I want my money back.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2015, 06:20 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

+1. We rented TrainWreck the other night too. I thoughts it might be interesting as it seemed to be well liked. It was appropriately titled.

A couple good scenes but I would prefer my $4.99 back.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1. We rented TrainWreck the other night too. I thoughts it might be interesting as it seemed to be well liked. It was appropriately titled.

A couple good scenes but I would prefer my $4.99 back.

Glad to hear it - it really was terrible.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:03 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

On Thanksgiving we watched some TV a bit with our son and his girl friend. He almost always gets the remote and selects something. We all agreed the selection was a really awful movie but funny because it was so bad and took itself seriously. Something about a boat and Russian bad guys and scientists and an old downed Russian spacecraft in the arctic.

Anyway I just left them to it after about 1/2 hour and came back to see the awful ending. Next year I'm getting the controller.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:17 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I spent some quality time with my mother in law on Xmas.

Yep, I got a full dose of some sort of hell-channel called Insp or something like that: 3 episodes of the Waltons, 3 of Little House on the Prairie, 1 of Dr. Quinn, and then as a bonus, the Dolly Parton story. Ugh. I'd have been thrilled with Trainwreck!

I really do love my husband, is all I can say. Thank goodness it is only once a year I have to sit through the dreck!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:26 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post

Yep, I got a full dose of some sort of hell-channel called Insp or something like that: 3 episodes of the Waltons, 3 of Little House on the Prairie, 1 of Dr. Quinn, and then as a bonus, the Dolly Parton story. Ugh. I'd have been thrilled with Trainwreck!

I really do love my husband, is all I can say. Thank goodness it is only once a year I have to sit through the dreck!
That would make my head explode. Hope he appreciates that level of commitment and sacrifice.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:41 PM   #7

Painfully sat through the completion of S1 of Man in the High Castle, which meaders around with many undefined characters, and ends with basically no closure of any story element. I see online many complaints from readers of the book on which MitHC is based, who report the film version is excessively padded, apparently the 10 film-hours cover a mere 60-some pages of the book.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:11 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post

You are a saint!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:20 PM   #9

Dear departed MIL used to watch Court TV anytime she was awake including at my house when they visited. Thank goodness we have multiple TVs and could go watch something else.

As for watching a movie like Trainwreck with my son... uh oh, no way. I don't want to watch make out scenes with him in the room! How embarrassing even though he is 34 years old!
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:08 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Many movies are realistic only if one lives a life of debauchery with drugs, alcohol, financial irresponsibility, foolish sex, and bad language. I guess that is what the Entertainment Industry thinks is normal.

Spoiler Alert if you have not seen the new Star Wars, don't go any farther. Also, some advice. Save your money and get the DVD when you can check it out for free from the public library.

Then there are movies like the new Star Wars, which is just a rehash of the previous movies. A Third Death Star?!?! Really? Unexpected, parent-child relationships! Really?!?!?!? Are the writers that devoid of creativity that they have to re-hash the Death Star and family issues again? Pathetic.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:14 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Many movies are realistic only if one lives a life of debauchery with drugs, alcohol, financial irresponsibility, foolish sex, and bad language.
Sounds like something to aspire to ..
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:17 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I second the Star Wars post !
Dancer373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:36 PM   #13

I LOVED Trainwreck!
walkinwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:37 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Hey, we watched The Gruffallo, The Gruffallo's Child, More Room on the Broom, The Jungle Book, and The Cat in the Hat Xmas, and I enjoyed them all!
Old 12-28-2015, 08:51 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I cannot watch a movie when visiting relatives, as the purpose of visiting them is to chat about stuff.
Once I start watching a movie, I'm in the movie and don't even want anyone to talk.
I only enjoy movies at home/theatre.

I avoided "train wreck" as it seemed stupid, but American Ultra was pretty badly done.
Glad I only spent 50 cents on the blue ray rental.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:47 PM   #16

I just watched Train Wreck and enjoyed it even though I'm not the target audience.

My daughters took me to Sisters over the weekend, I was disappointed as I expect smarter out of Tina Fey.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:18 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

I thought the Train Wreck movie was good- a good laugh and I like the actors.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:22 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
I thought the Train Wreck movie was good- a good laugh and I like the actors.
Ditto. Cute story line and LeBron stole every scene he was in. Good thing he can fall back on acting if this basketball career doesn't work out for him.

We usually watch Love Actually over the holidays in the background, at DS's request. Forgot to, this year.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:30 AM   #19

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles....
Old 12-29-2015, 06:39 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I saw Trainwreck with my ladyfriend in the theater a few months ago. It was terrible, nothing funny. I like Amy Schumer in her standup routines, but she should skip movies. (P.S. If she does any love scenes in bed, she needs to be topless LOL!)
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote