Bad year for electronics...

(Cute Fuzzy Bunny) said:
I am VERY impressed with the wireless in this laptop....

Very cool little toshiba tool that shows you a radar-like map of your machine in the middle and all the AP's it can see, with zero configuration...you click on the AP you want to connect to and it does the work and asks the questions. Shows distance and signal strength graphically.

I'll echo your praise regarding the cheappie Toshiba laptop I bought for DW. Having never dealt with wireless I didn't know what to expect but it has been a pleasant experience.

After paying through the nose getting a broadband connection via line-of-sight radio, I stuck in a wireless router. The laptop would connect to the network from the road in front of the house, 275 feet away! I dialed down the signal strength to 50% to confine the signal to the house and deck and not much beyond.

The radar (OK, for Nords, sonar) style screen showing the available networks and their strength is pretty neat.

BTW, DW absolutely loves her new laptop. I'm a hero for now, but 37 years with her says that won't last long... :-*

One other thing. I did check out a passel of the new Lenovo thinkpads. The keyboards arent as good as the six year old 600X I still have. I didnt find much difference in the key feel from any of the major brands, to be honest. The best keyboard was probably the crappy el cheapo averatec. It had a surprisingly good amount of key travel for a mini notebook.

The stinkpads I looked at were all in the 1400-2000 range too.

Back
Top Bottom