Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-18-2009, 01:47 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good thing no one died because of a shortage of emergency personal. While they were on a wild goose chase.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
In a restaurant, the terms "bill" and "check" are interchangeable...
In Texas perhaps; but not in Canada.

There's a fundamental difference between a bill (invoice) and a cheque (payment).
Old 10-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
In Texas perhaps; but not in Canada.
Hmm,, interesting. So if I went to a restaurant in Canada and after eating asked the server for the check, they wouldn't know what I meant?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:33 PM   #64

They might or might not (depends on how many septic customers they get). You're probably okay in the larger cities.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I think they should be arrested for bad acting -- especially the mom.
"The parents, Richard and Mayumi Heene, met in a Hollywood acting school and "put on a very good show for us," Alderden said."

From a cnn.com article 'Balloon boy' incident was hoax, sheriff says - CNN.com

Maybe they didn't make A's.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:08 PM   #66

Well you can check just about any English dictionary and one of the meanings for check is a restaurant bill. I do not know what kind of English Canadians speak.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:35 PM   #67
Confused about dryer sheets

This is my neck of the woods and I can tell you DAD is in a whole bunch of trouble. I wonder exactly how much he will have to pay through restitution when he is convicted of this hoax!
colawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:05 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Well you can check just about any English dictionary and one of the meanings for check is a restaurant bill. I do not know what kind of English Canadians speak.
The Queen's English, aka 'primary English'.

Per the Compact Oxford English Dictionary:
  • verb 1 examine the accuracy, quality, or condition of. 2 stop or slow the progress of. 3 Chess move a piece or pawn to a square where it directly attacks (the opposing king).
  • noun 1 an examination to check accuracy, quality, or condition. 2 an act of checking progress. 3 a means of control or restraint. 4 Chess an act of checking the opposing king. 5 N. Amer. the bill in a restaurant. 6 (also check mark) North American term for TICK (in sense 1).
So there we go: "check" is primarily a verb, with the fifth alternative meaning as a noun identified as a American (not North American btw: we don't use that meaning in Canada, and I suspect the Mexicans don't either!) as a synonym for restaurant bill.

Americans are free to use words however they wish, but that doesn't make such customs universal practice.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #69

USA has an article on this and the fine for Dad could be up to $500,000...altho I doubt they sock it to him that badly. What did they do to the Runaway Bride a few years back? She did some community service and had to pay some restitution, but I can't remember what it was now.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:04 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
USA has an article on this and the fine for Dad could be up to $500,000...altho I doubt they sock it to him that badly. What did they do to the Runaway Bride a few years back? She did some community service and had to pay some restitution, but I can't remember what it was now.
Humph. I just hope nobody offers this family to make a reality show out of the trial and penalty.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
One of the most damaging things here is that the parents have really corrupted their children. That is a big no-no in my world.

Ha
Hear, hear. What a great life lesson these three boys have been given: you can get lots of attention, and maybe money too, by lying.

I don't watch reality shows. If this incident is any sample, maybe "reality TV" is the new top oxymoron in the English language.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:27 AM   #72
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I hate to break it to you guys, but this is the Sheriff's office and the US government's way of covering up the truth of what really happened. This was an actual UFO invasion. The real wreckage is in Area 51 as we speak. They used alien technology to impersonate the Heene's in the fake home video footage T-Al showed.

This is a frame job against the Heene's!

(or so some will undoubtedly argue in the coming days)
Old 10-19-2009, 11:13 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

The Heene's have let me down. I was quite impressed with the family until the Sheriffs department announced that they believed this was a hoax. It's one thing to build a hovercraft, chase tornado's, and fly around hurricanes. It's something entirely different to engage in a deception that utilizes the resources of emergency response personnel. Especially when children are involved.

As for punishment, assuming they are convicted, my preference would be to kill them (OK, not really). But the punishment should fit the crime. If they were both in on it, which appears to be the case, mom and dad should receive the same punishment. Historically, however, the legal system has not been very severe to those who have perpetrated lies, even when those lies have caused others to significantly suffer ... Duke rape case (no punishment for the woman); Hofstra rape hoax (women gets community service and "the counseling that she needs"). Here were two women who seriously misused police resources and were quite willing to send a total of 8 men to prison for 10-20 years. Essentially no punishment. Will the Heene's receive equal treatment?
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:53 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Shawn,

You are much too mellow, you need some fuel to get started:

Jon Stewart Takes On 30 Republicans Who Voted Against Franken Rape Amendment (VIDEO)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:43 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
The Heene's have let me down. I was quite impressed with the family until the Sheriffs department announced that they believed this was a hoax. It's one thing to build a hovercraft, chase tornado's, and fly around hurricanes. It's something entirely different to engage in a deception that utilizes the resources of emergency response personnel. Especially when children are involved.

As for punishment, assuming they are convicted, my preference would be to kill them (OK, not really). But the punishment should fit the crime. If they were both in on it, which appears to be the case, mom and dad should receive the same punishment. Historically, however, the legal system has not been very severe to those who have perpetrated lies, even when those lies have caused others to significantly suffer ... Duke rape case (no punishment for the woman); Hofstra rape hoax (women gets community service and "the counseling that she needs"). Here were two women who seriously misused police resources and were quite willing to send a total of 8 men to prison for 10-20 years. Essentially no punishment. Will the Heene's receive equal treatment?
How would you feel if the male was a narcissistic, easy to anger, domineering "boss" of the family, telling everyone what to do all the time? Like requiring his wife to do all the cooking and cleaning and childcare while he worked on his goofy projects. And requiring his wife to support his grand plans. Is she equally culpable? This is a hypothetical only: I have no idea about anything about this family. And you could reverse the roles. I know families that were run by psychopaths or narcisists. It is amazing how much control one can end up having over another and how hard some find it is to escape. Male or female.

I do have an opinion on Wife Swap. I think that parents should not go on this kind of show with their children, I just don't see it as good for the kids. The families can end up being manipulated for a show and looking worse than they are. Family should be in large part be private.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:51 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I do have an opinion on Wife Swap. I think that parents should not go on this kind of show with their children, I just don't see it as good for the kids. The families can end up being manipulated for a show and looking worse than they are. Family should be in large part be private.
Agreed. If couples without minor children want to do this, as warped as I think it is, more power to them as long as both partners are cool with it. Doing this as part of a family with minor children borders on emotional and psychological child abuse, IMO.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:53 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How would you feel if the male was a narcissistic, easy to anger, domineering "boss" of the family, telling everyone what to do all the time?
I did hear there was a 911 call made from their house in the past - possible domestic violence.

Did anybody watch their episode of Wife Swap?

Just curious....
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:53 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As for punishment, assuming they are convicted, my preference would be to kill them (OK, not really). But the punishment should fit the crime.
Yes, we'll put the dad in a weather balloon and the mom in a box in the attic.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I know families that were run by psychopaths or narcisists. It is amazing how much control one can end up having over another and how hard some find it is to escape. Male or female.
Let me google that for you
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:05 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
You are much too mellow, you need some fuel to get started:

Jon Stewart Takes On 30 Republicans Who Voted Against Franken Rape Amendment (VIDEO)
I'm not certain if I understand this particular case. It seems that the alleged victim wants to sue her employer for actions that she claims have nothing to do with her employment. That is, she claims that she was ganged raped and then held captive (apparently, there was no criminal prosecution for this alleged assault). She wants to sue her employer, but her employer says that she must use arbitration due to a clause in her employment agreement. She claims that she has the right to sue her employer because the rape has nothing to do with her employment, and is hence not bound by the arbitration clause (the courts agree). Interesting case, although I'm not clear how this relates to balloon boy or the criminal punishment that people who commit deceptions should receive.
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote