Balloon child

I just did a quick back of the envelope calculation on what it would take to build a helium filled balloon to life a six year old.

I assumed a payload of 40 lbs, 10 pounds of structural material for the balloon and carriage. 50 lbs total or 23 kg. At a height of 3000 ft, density of air is roughly 1.1 kg/m^3, helium is around 0.18 kg/m^3 (at standard temp and pressure, not sure at 3000 ft, but altitude difference for helium density is negligible vs. that of air).

Looking at the buoyancy of the craft filled with helium and surrounded by air, it looks like it would take a sphere of 12' diameter filled with helium to lift the 50 lbs of payload and structure. That thing looked pretty big, so it may have been "light" enough to actually have lifted what would have been Falcon.

Of course, this story is on [-]Fox[/-] CNN so you have to be a little leery.

But I'm intrigued by all the Monday morning quarterbacks who, after the fact, are so convinced that this balloon could not carry a young child. Apparently, the police, military, and other rescue personnel were not so convinced during the big event (perhaps it's their fault for not checking out internet discussion forums to get the real scoop before launching such an expensive rescue effort). More so, there were multiple interviews with actual balloon experts during the chase. I didn't hear a single one of these experts suggest that "this is a hoax - it's obvious that this balloon cannot carry a young child."

Police investigators are trained to identify truth from deception. They deal with this all the time. "No officer, I don't know how the 20 kilo's of cocaine got in the trunk of my car." OK, that's an easy one, but in more ambiguous situations the police assess communication, emotions, body language, and other factors. They don't always get it right, but as it stands now, the people who have extensively interviewed the family and watched their reactions during the event do not believe it was a hoax.

Well, if it turns out to be a hoax, I would like to see the dad *and* the mom in jail for 30 days or so. Mom shouldn't get a free pass just because she's a woman. She was involved too.

However, if it was a hoax, it was a poor one. Personally, if I was trying to fool the news media and others, I wouldn't allow my 6 year old co-conspirator son to be interviewed on TV. I'd leave the lying to the adults.

I am one who was skepitcal when I first saw the video... not that it could not lift someone off the ground... but that the payload area did not look like it had much weight to it... the balloon was pretty flat.. if a boy was inside, I would assume that it would hang down more.... they did say it was a 'weather balloon'.... so I would think it would be enough to lift 50 lbs...

I agree... put them all in jail...

OK... I now see the 'check' reference...

I am in a holding pattern waiting for the 10:00AM Sheriff's Press Conference -- its incredible that the highest crime commited would be "False Reporting" -- a low-grade misdemeanor.

Anyway, this just popped up on my News Monitoring:

I Helped Richard Heene Plan A Balloon Hoax
Can we attract UFO's with a homemade flying saucer? We will modify a weather balloon, so that it resembles a UFO and will electrically charge the skin of the craft (Biefield-Brown Effect). We will capture the footage on film, and will utilize the media as a means with which to make our presence known to the masses. This will not only provide us with incredible footage, but will also generate a tremendous amount of controversy among the public, as well as publicity within the mainstream media. This will be the most significant UFO-related news event to take place since the Roswell Crash of 1947, and the result will be a dramatic increase in local and national awareness about The Heene Family, our Reality Series, as well as the UFO Phenomenon in general.
I clearly remember Richard telling me that, if we accomplish this, it would be the most controversial and widespread UFO news story since Roswell in 1947. (See audio at top of post.)

Well, it seems like they are going to go after him with charges.... but the charges seem to be minor.... so I guess the price they will pay will be small compared to the whole hoopla....

And I bet there will be SOMEONE who will try to put him on a cable show or something... but it will fade quickly (at least I hope)...

I still would like to see him get the whole bill... which I am sure if you added up everything it would be over $100,000....

Just watched the press conference with the Sheriff in CO. Will file 2 felony and a misdemeanor against them. The lawman thinks it was all a big hoax now that was being used to develop a TV script that was dreamed up a couple of weeks ago (checked out Mr. Heene's computer). It's up to the DA now.

Just watched the press conference with the Sheriff in CO. Will file 2 felony and a misdemeanor against them. The lawman thinks it was all a big hoax now that was being used to develop a TV script that was dreamed up a couple of weeks ago (checked out Mr. Heene's computer). It's up to the DA now.

Well good for him:

Sheriff Calls Balloon Chase a Hoax

Richard Heene and his wife Mayumi have not yet been arrested, but the sheriff said that among the charges being considered are three felonies: conspiracy between the husband and the wife to commit a crime, contributing to the delinquency of a minor and an attempt to influence a public servant., the last of which carries a prison term of six years. The charges could also include a misdemeanor, filing a false report.

An old expression about "feeding them a little rope so they hang themselves" comes to mind. So glad LE is following up. :clap:
Parents are pure goofballs. Kids are too young IMHO to have made an independent decision to make up a story about the youngest being inside the compartment when it went aloft.
Parents will be darn lucky if federal charges aren't filed, since the FAA was involved (what I meant earlier about national radar resources being used).
One news report I read online indicated the father called a TV station, not 911.
I asked my housecleaner what she would have done if one of her 2 young boys were really in danger like this. She did not hesitate with her answer...she would call 911.

Kids are too young IMHO to have made an independent decision to make up a story about the youngest being inside the compartment when it went aloft.

Here is a well done article with Bullet Points:

Sheriff: Balloon Boy incident 'was a hoax,' parents are actors

Although the authorities believe the children were fully involved with the hoax, Alderden doubts the kids will face criminal charges considering their ages: 6, 8 and 10.

There are still plans to meet with the FBI and FAA to see if additional federal charges are appropriate in this circumstance.

One of the most damaging things here is that the parents have really corrupted their children. That is a big no-no in my world.

Ha

Good thing no one died because of a shortage of emergency personal. While they were on a wild goose chase.

In a restaurant, the terms "bill" and "check" are interchangeable...
In Texas perhaps; but not in Canada.

There's a fundamental difference between a bill (invoice) and a cheque (payment).

They might or might not (depends on how many septic customers they get). You're probably okay in the larger cities.

Well you can check just about any English dictionary and one of the meanings for check is a restaurant bill. I do not know what kind of English Canadians speak.

This is my neck of the woods and I can tell you DAD is in a whole bunch of trouble. I wonder exactly how much he will have to pay through restitution when he is convicted of this hoax!

Well you can check just about any English dictionary and one of the meanings for check is a restaurant bill. I do not know what kind of English Canadians speak.
The Queen's English, aka 'primary English'.

Per the Compact Oxford English Dictionary:

• verb 1 examine the accuracy, quality, or condition of. 2 stop or slow the progress of. 3 Chess move a piece or pawn to a square where it directly attacks (the opposing king).
  • noun 1 an examination to check accuracy, quality, or condition. 2 an act of checking progress. 3 a means of control or restraint. 4 Chess an act of checking the opposing king. 5 N. Amer. the bill in a restaurant. 6 (also check mark) North American term for TICK (in sense 1).
So there we go: "check" is primarily a verb, with the fifth alternative meaning as a noun identified as a American (not North American btw: we don't use that meaning in Canada, and I suspect the Mexicans don't either!) as a synonym for restaurant bill.

Americans are free to use words however they wish, but that doesn't make such customs universal practice.

USA has an article on this and the fine for Dad could be up to $500,000...altho I doubt they sock it to him that badly. What did they do to the Runaway Bride a few years back? She did some community service and had to pay some restitution, but I can't remember what it was now.

USA has an article on this and the fine for Dad could be up to $500,000...altho I doubt they sock it to him that badly. What did they do to the Runaway Bride a few years back? She did some community service and had to pay some restitution, but I can't remember what it was now.

Humph. I just hope nobody offers this family to make a reality show out of the trial and penalty.

One of the most damaging things here is that the parents have really corrupted their children. That is a big no-no in my world.

Ha
Hear, hear. What a great life lesson these three boys have been given: you can get lots of attention, and maybe money too, by lying. :nonono:

I don't watch reality shows. If this incident is any sample, maybe "reality TV" is the new top oxymoron in the English language.

I hate to break it to you guys, but this is the Sheriff's office and the US government's way of covering up the truth of what really happened. This was an actual UFO invasion. The real wreckage is in Area 51 as we speak. They used alien technology to impersonate the Heene's in the fake home video footage T-Al showed.

This is a frame job against the Heene's!

(or so some will undoubtedly argue in the coming days)

The Heene's have let me down. I was quite impressed with the family until the Sheriffs department announced that they believed this was a hoax. It's one thing to build a hovercraft, chase tornado's, and fly around hurricanes. It's something entirely different to engage in a deception that utilizes the resources of emergency response personnel. Especially when children are involved.

As for punishment, assuming they are convicted, my preference would be to kill them (OK, not really). But the punishment should fit the crime. If they were both in on it, which appears to be the case, mom and dad should receive the same punishment. Historically, however, the legal system has not been very severe to those who have perpetrated lies, even when those lies have caused others to significantly suffer ... Duke rape case (no punishment for the woman); Hofstra rape hoax (women gets community service and "the counseling that she needs"). Here were two women who seriously misused police resources and were quite willing to send a total of 8 men to prison for 10-20 years. Essentially no punishment. Will the Heene's receive equal treatment?

The Heene's have let me down. I was quite impressed with the family until the Sheriffs department announced that they believed this was a hoax. It's one thing to build a hovercraft, chase tornado's, and fly around hurricanes. It's something entirely different to engage in a deception that utilizes the resources of emergency response personnel. Especially when children are involved.

As for punishment, assuming they are convicted, my preference would be to kill them (OK, not really). But the punishment should fit the crime. If they were both in on it, which appears to be the case, mom and dad should receive the same punishment. Historically, however, the legal system has not been very severe to those who have perpetrated lies, even when those lies have caused others to significantly suffer ... Duke rape case (no punishment for the woman); Hofstra rape hoax (women gets community service and "the counseling that she needs"). Here were two women who seriously misused police resources and were quite willing to send a total of 8 men to prison for 10-20 years. Essentially no punishment. Will the Heene's receive equal treatment?

How would you feel if the male was a narcissistic, easy to anger, domineering "boss" of the family, telling everyone what to do all the time? Like requiring his wife to do all the cooking and cleaning and childcare while he worked on his goofy projects. And requiring his wife to support his grand plans. Is she equally culpable? This is a hypothetical only: I have no idea about anything about this family. And you could reverse the roles. I know families that were run by psychopaths or narcisists. It is amazing how much control one can end up having over another and how hard some find it is to escape. Male or female.

I do have an opinion on Wife Swap. I think that parents should not go on this kind of show with their children, I just don't see it as good for the kids. The families can end up being manipulated for a show and looking worse than they are. Family should be in large part be private.

Back
Top Bottom