Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-16-2023, 02:48 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Sort of like gas stations, pharmacies, etc... Still plenty of small ones today but the big boys are taking/controlling more and more.
Doctors have gone the same way as banks. I had a doc I really liked. When I went into his office, he had 3 people w*rking plus a nurse or two. Eventually, he had to join a large clinic where the redundant operations of all the docs could be handled by a much smaller per-doctor staff. He really hated the set up, but only by consolidating the "other-than-doctor" stuff could he make a living. In essence, he was w*rking for the clinic instead of owning his own small business.

Eventually, he got fed up with the clinic system. He and a few other docs opened their own business together. The economics of scale made that business model profitable - and, once again, he was (sort of) w*rking for himself.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2023, 07:45 PM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

I once had a teller ask if I had plans for all that “extra” money in my checking account. I was caught a little of guard because the account maybe had $2,500 in it. I guess she thought that was a lot of money at the time ?!?
I told her all that money was already gone, the checks just hadn’t cleared yet and to check back in a couple of weeks.
Geld ist Freiheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 11:07 AM   #103
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Cash deposits over $10,000 will require more paperwork - trust me.
And if you deposit $9,975 in cash, you will get even more attention!
FLJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 11:25 AM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJim View Post
Once the cashless society is implemented all cash deposits will be considered suspect. And so will cash transactions, if they're still allowed.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 12:11 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJim View Post
Yep... A 10k+ deposit will just generate a CTR. Anything that's close to 10k (e.g. $9,975) deposit will likely generate a CTR and SAR.
Old 03-17-2023, 05:21 PM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

Back in 2009, I was having to move around pretty large amounts of money. At USAA they had a limit on online transfers and anything over that amount had to done over the phone. They also wouldn't let you redeem a CD online--you had to call them to do it. I had them laddered so I was having to call every three months.

And every time I called, they'd ask why I transferring the money or redeeming the CD. The first few times I would mumble something, and I eventually started saying "None of your business."

One time I asked why they wanted to know, and I was told it was to provide better service. To which I thought, "Uh, okay."

I then quit buying CDs, but was still transferring money. So I got my online transfer limit upped to $50,000 to avoid having to call and be asked this intrusive question. I had asked for $100,000, but they came back with $50,000, and were unmoved when I pointed out that I didn't know it was a negotiation or I would have started at $200,000. I asked why there was a limit at all on online transfers and why I had to do some by phone, and was told it was for my protection. I decided to test that.

I needed to move $99,500 and I practiced my line and psyched myself for the call because I didn't want to blow it.

After a bunch of ridiculous "security questions," where you give answers that could be taken straight off the statements they mailed to me, the lady said, "Why are you making the transfer?" I responded, "A gentleman from Nigeria has asked for my help." She said, "Oh, you're going to help someone out?" I said, "Yes," and she finished the transfer.
Pluperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 01:14 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluperfect View Post
Back in 2009, I was having to move around pretty large amounts of money. At USAA they had a limit on online transfers and anything over that amount had to done over the phone. They also wouldn't let you redeem a CD online--you had to call them to do it. I had them laddered so I was having to call every three months.

And every time I called, they'd ask why I transferring the money or redeeming the CD. The first few times I would mumble something, and I eventually started saying "None of your business."

One time I asked why they wanted to know, and I was told it was to provide better service. To which I thought, "Uh, okay."

I then quit buying CDs, but was still transferring money. So I got my online transfer limit upped to $50,000 to avoid having to call and be asked this intrusive question. I had asked for $100,000, but they came back with $50,000, and were unmoved when I pointed out that I didn't know it was a negotiation or I would have started at $200,000. I asked why there was a limit at all on online transfers and why I had to do some by phone, and was told it was for my protection. I decided to test that.

I needed to move $99,500 and I practiced my line and psyched myself for the call because I didn't want to blow it.

After a bunch of ridiculous "security questions," where you give answers that could be taken straight off the statements they mailed to me, the lady said, "Why are you making the transfer?" I responded, "A gentleman from Nigeria has asked for my help." She said, "Oh, you're going to help someone out?" I said, "Yes," and she finished the transfer.
Heh, heh, this is me being stunned.

It's so typical for businesses or even gummints to have elaborate security systems - which are defeated by first-line empl*yees. It would be funny if not so pathetic. I hope you too were able to laugh.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote