Bare Cast Iron vs Enameled Cast Iron Cookware

Do you prefer bare or enameled cast iron cookware?

• Bare all the way baby!

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • I prefer to cover up with enamel.

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • I don't do iron.

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters
Yeah, I was just wondering if metal utensils might ruin the non-stick patina.

Hey Im just saying! Dont want anyone to get any extra iron in their diet. :D

Be sure to stay tuned for Extreme Utensils, right after Hotrodded Toasters...

The utensils I got were from an uncle who lived in Quebec and they are 100% metal and I dare say the flipper thing could be used in Formula One racing in place of the jack. Very nice quality, marked "Apres les Walmart" .

They are housed in wooden briefcase-like boxes with handles and appear to me to be a chef's personal tools. No idea where he bought them but all the markings are in French.

I don't use them on my current stainless DeMeyere stuff but if I get cast iron, I intend to break them out.

I always use non stick pans. We eat very healthy. Little to no fat added to meals is better for us. Now when we want southern friend chicken. We bring out the cast iron. Just healthy lifestyle choice. If I had my way it would be fat and bacon to the end. However I enjoy my standing in life and wish to drag it on for a few more years.

Me too. I usually bake steam or braise rather than frying. Is keeping the non-stick finish on cast iron dependent on frequent frying?

I use a cast iron skillet for corn bread, though it does require some re-seasoning afterward. Also use a cast iron griddle for searing, mostly fish.

I fry eggs in a teflon skillet. But a bacon-fat seasoned skillet is the ultimate egg frying platform. Not to mentioned fried chicken. Neither of which is on the menu much these days...

I use a cast iron skillet for corn bread, though it does require some re-seasoning afterward. Also use a cast iron griddle for searing, mostly fish.

I fry eggs in a teflon skillet. But a bacon-fat seasoned skillet is the ultimate egg frying platform. Not to mentioned fried chicken. Neither of which is on the menu much these days...

I like about 1/4" of bacon fat in the skillet and the bacon brown and making some foam and bout that time drop an egg on the skillet from about 2 inches and let the yellow just slightly burst and watch the egg sizzle and bubble and form that little crispy ring around the edge. All the while washing the hot fat over the top and getting a perfect sunny side up.

I like about 1/4" of bacon fat in the skillet and the bacon brown and making some foam and bout that time drop an egg on the skillet from about 2 inches and let the yellow just slightly burst and watch the egg sizzle and bubble and form that little crispy ring around the edge. All the while washing the hot fat over the top and getting a perfect sunny side up.
Clogs my arteries just to think about it! :D Bet it's good, though.

I'll bring the toast! :greetings10:

Me too. I usually bake steam or braise rather than frying. Is keeping the non-stick finish on cast iron dependent on frequent frying?

Its not so much as non stick. Its cast iron holds heat so much better than anything else. So you can fry foods that much better. Ive never cooked anything in cast iron that did not have fat added to it.

Now, Im sure we have some folks here who have more experience than me in using cast iron. Might correct me.

Oh and the bacon thing above...:Groan:

Clogs my arteries just to think about it! :D Bet it's good, though.
I have to admit, that is all imagery and is from an old John Wayne movie. Can't remember which one. So, I'll munch on these genetically preselected and approved hydroponic alfalfa sprouts and dream. :angel:

I find that enameled cast iron requires very little oil, just enough to evenly coat the bottom of the pan to avoid sticking, usually 1 tablespoon or less depending on the pan size. I made a pot roast tonight in one of my enameled cast iron dutch oven and used less than 1 tablespoon of oil to brown the meat and onions. That's about 1/6 tbsp of oil per serving. It seems very reasonable.

Its not so much as non stick. Its cast iron holds heat so much better than anything else. So you can fry foods that much better. Ive never cooked anything in cast iron that did not have fat added to it.

Now, Im sure we have some folks here who have more experience than me in using cast iron. Might correct me.

Oh and the bacon thing above...:Groan:

Let me guess, you use cast iron for quiche? :ROFLMAO:

The only issue I am aware of is that they can't be used on glass cook tops.

I have a glass cooktop and I still used iron. You have to be sure to use a flat bottom pan, some have a little ridge that would interfere with contact.

Nah anything fried like chicken fried steak,fish or chicken. Unless I got the deep fryer out ;)

Hey I made a nice quiche a month ago. Want the recipe?

Nah anything fried like chicken fried steak,fish or chicken. Unless I got the deep fryer out ;)

Hey I made a nice quiche a month ago. Want the recipe?

Yeah, thanks, that would be nice. I'm visiting Boston tomorrow and a couple of friends there love quiche so a nice recipe for quiche might be just the ticket.

BTW, I would just caution those of you with glass cook tops to be a bit shy of a brand new cast iron skillet, those burrs can scratch if you move the skillet around while in contact with the surface.

Ooooooh, Yeah!!! Had just that yesterday morning for breakfast...'cept for the "slightly burst" yoke, I like my yoke intact!

Eh, and I missed out on my fried chicken this past week too, darn it. Had too many things going on, and just plain forgot about it! However, I did go down to the little grease-pit restaurant Friday night and got a bunch of fried turtle and french fries!!!

I'll second (or more) the use of silicone scrapers to cook with. I keep 4 going all the time as the ones I bought are able to go to a high temp before melting (and they'll never get that hot at my house).
Kohl's often has 30% off or so on Kitchenaid utensils, and they seem to work better than most. Quite strong and well made I found.

I clean them with a simple rinse of water and wipe with a cloth.

I've read this elsewhere, but haven't understood it completely.

For example, if you fry fish or something that sticks to the pan, do you still just use water?

I hand wash using dish soap and try not to scrub off the coating that's built up on the pan.

Any advice or tips?

For example, if you fry fish or something that sticks to the pan, do you still just use water?

I hand wash using dish soap and try not to scrub off the coating that's built up on the pan.

The problem with soap is that it removes the oil from the coating and that is the "non-stick" element of greatest importance. Once that happens, you have to go through the "seasoning" process again.

I know what you are concerned about -- sanitation. That is overcome by putting it back on the stove over high heat until all the water (moisture) has evaporated. (I do this with all pots and pans not just the cast iron ones.)

And now that I think of it -- the above is required of Cast Iron in any event -- Rust is the enemy.

I own exactly 1 bare cast iron fry pan, given to me by my Mom in 1976 when I went to college. I believe it was bought in PA Dutch country on a family vacation in the 1960s. I use it for very rare frying in oil (3x a year at best).

I own exactly 1 Silverstone coated fry pan, used for omelettes only.

The rest of my cookware is 1984 vintage stainless steel Revereware with real copper clad bottoms. I bought a full set for practically nothing (compared to today's price) at an outlet store in Rome NY (roadtrip!) back when I was a newlywed and they were still manufacturing it there. The thickness of the steel is much greater than anything I've seen lately.

I use this set daily. It seems to be indestructible. :cool:

Well - for a frittata, which is almost a crustless quiche. I love my Le Creuset omelet pan for this.

It has this amazing glass finish that is not "non-stick" but behaves like non-stick.

Audrey

Back
Top Bottom