Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-30-2016, 06:41 PM   #201
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Seven games is a small sample size. No wise person would FIRE based on, say, just 7 years of market data. And seven games is the longest of the various MLB postseason series.
A game in baseball is made up of hundreds of samples.
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2016, 08:27 PM   #202
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, going into the 7th, at least we are seeing a real match. Cubs with slim lead that could evaporate at any time. But no one team is being dominate, which makes for more interesting viewing.

Go Cubbies!

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:24 PM   #203
Give me a forum ...

Much better game tonight. Hope the Cubs can hold on for one more inning. I keep switching channels between the Cubs baseball and the Cowboys football game. Cowboys are in trouble tonight, at this point.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:29 PM   #204
Moderator Emeritus

Cowboys out of trouble now after the TD. Game tied.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:31 PM   #205
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
As opposed to the LaRussa revolution in bullpen use, though, this one probably only works in the playoffs, not over the course of 162 games with very few off dates.
The Indians have been using Miller in this fashion since they acquired him during the regular season. It will be interesting to see how many teams adopt the strategy. As you say, it requires the right RP.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:46 PM   #206
Give me a forum ...

Cubs did it. On to game 6 but back in Cleveland.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:46 PM   #207
Give me a forum ...

Whew. Still alive.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:57 PM   #208

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Whew. Still alive.
Yes, on to game 6 !
I like arrieta's chances in cleveland
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:00 PM   #209
Moderator Emeritus

Cubs bats better come alive soon.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:02 PM   #210
Give me a forum ...

Only thing better than October baseball is November baseball .

Now the question is can the Cubs win 2 before the Indians win 1? Not bad odds.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:20 PM   #211
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
And from my earlier post:

So tonight, Soler does it - jogs a little, thinking it was foul, and then speeds up when it looks like it might drop fair.

What the fritz? It's the friggin, WORLD SERIES, first one for the Cubs since 1945, and he doesn't go all out? IS he saving it for something? How can a manager accept that from teams at this level? These guys should be sent back to the minors.

-ERD50
Batters sure like to assume home runs. Did you see Rizzo almost got thrown out tonight after watching his ball hit off the vines? Had he been out, that might have been a rally stopper .
Old 10-31-2016, 02:08 AM   #212
Give me a forum ...

I didn't see the game last night, but I was watching game 3 when Soler hit that ball that landed on the right field line at Wrigley. Nobody else seems to be talking about it, but it seems to me that if he had Pete Rose'd the hit and run full out the whole way, he might have ended up with an inside the park homer instead of a triple, which would have changed the entire complexion of the game. Instead he bounced around a bit watching the ball, then took off running, and even turning at first seemed to be dogging it a bit. Did it seem like that to anyone else? Or is that so much the way baseball is played these days that nobody even notices?
Old 10-31-2016, 05:58 AM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I didn't see the game last night, but I was watching game 3 when Soler hit that ball that landed on the right field line at Wrigley. Nobody else seems to be talking about it, but it seems to me that if he had Pete Rose'd the hit and run full out the whole way, he might have ended up with an inside the park homer instead of a triple, which would have changed the entire complexion of the game. Instead he bounced around a bit watching the ball, then took off running, and even turning at first seemed to be dogging it a bit. Did it seem like that to anyone else? Or is that so much the way baseball is played these days that nobody even notices?
Too many ESPN highlights.

Back to Cleveland.....................Go Cubs.............................................. .......
Old 10-31-2016, 07:20 AM   #214

Congrats to the Cubs. Huge home run for Bryant to tie it before it got to Miller time.

I still like Cleveland's chances with two at home. A tiny part of me was hoping the Cubs would win and force it back to Cleveland. I have some ties to family and friends in Chicago, but not as much as Cleveland.

Either way, this is setting up to be one of the best World Series, all things considered.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:28 AM   #215
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
Congrats to the Cubs. Huge home run for Bryant to tie it before it got to Miller time.

I still like Cleveland's chances with two at home. A tiny part of me was hoping the Cubs would win and force it back to Cleveland. I have some ties to family and friends in Chicago, but not as much as Cleveland.

Either way, this is setting up to be one of the best World Series, all things considered.
I didn't think the Bryant HR was going to make it out. Then the next ball that Rizzo hit I thought at first was going out, but he nearly got thrown out at second. The tricks of the Wrigley Field wind.

I actually was a bit surprised the Indians didn't bring in Miller with any lead and their starter beginning to struggle.

Indians now up 3-2 still gotta be favored. But for the Cubs, both remaining starters are on full 4 days rest and the pitchers for the Indians are on 3 days rest. Plus, the Schwarber factor at DH should help the Cubs' still struggling offense (Baez is swinging at anything within 3 feet outside the strike zone).

If there's a game 7, anything goes. Heck, we might see Miller and Chapman come in at the 2nd inning .
Old 10-31-2016, 07:53 AM   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I actually was a bit surprised the Indians didn't bring in Miller with any lead and their starter beginning to struggle.

Indians now up 3-2 still gotta be favored. But for the Cubs, both remaining starters are on full 4 days rest and the pitchers for the Indians are on 3 days rest. Plus, the Schwarber factor at DH should help the Cubs' still struggling offense (Baez is swinging at anything within 3 feet outside the strike zone).

If there's a game 7, anything goes. Heck, we might see Miller and Chapman come in at the 2nd inning .
I think they wanted to get Bauer through the lineup twice, then pinch hit for him. He was actually pitching very well, and had great command of his curve ball. Even John Smoltz was complimenting him. I think the catcher made a mistake trying to sneak a fastball past Bryant rather than just stay with the curve.

Game 7 will be interesting if it goes that far. I could definitely see bullpens in the fourth or fifth inning.

I haven't seen probabilities for who wins at this point, I just know that it is better for Cleveland than it was at the start of the Series, and WAY better than in September when they lost their number 2 and 3 starters.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:59 AM   #217
gone traveling

Glad to see the Cubs putting up a fight, much more interesting now.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:04 AM   #218
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Two of us already mentioned this.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:11 AM   #219
Give me a forum ...

good game last night
Old 10-31-2016, 08:53 AM   #220
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Glad to see the Cubs putting up a fight, much more interesting now.
+1.

I'm just glad not to have the visiting team celebrating at the home team's ballpark. At least now, if the Indians win, the party will be in Cleveland.

With that out of the way, the series is just getting started .