Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-09-2020, 08:38 PM   #121
Moderator Emeritus

R.I.P. Yankees.....Now Tampa Bay squares off with the Astros.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2020, 06:36 AM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I did watch a few innings of a couple of the Astros post season games... Funny to see all the "fake fans" in the ballparks.... Heck they could have had a few "fake trash cans" in the Astros games to make it look more realistic...
Old 10-18-2020, 07:16 AM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Astros are done for this season.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:24 AM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Not a bad thing.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:36 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
we had a good run - go ASTROS!
Old 10-18-2020, 08:12 AM   #126
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My DW is a big Astros fan. We went out to a sports bar last night to watch this game. Morton paid them back for trading him. Oh well, I'm a Yankee fan at heart, but they sputtered out too.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:19 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Anyone catch the wacky last play of the game last night? Bottom of the 9th, TB down by one run, runners on first and second, two outs. Phillips singles, which should have just tied it. But the ball clanked off the CF's glove, and the second runner is waved home... and stumbles and falls flat half way. Should've been an easy out. But the catcher doesn't know he stumbled so he attempts a sweep tag, and the doesn't handle the throw. The second run scores, game over. Looked like one of those little league bunt homers.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:19 AM   #128
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes it was quite the clinic in fielding, catching and base running. Oh yes and clutch hitting with two out in the bottom of the ninth, two strikes and a .117 two-strike hitter at the plate.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:51 AM   #129

What a finish! If you like baseball and haven't seen this play, Google it and watch.

Dodger first baseman Muncy should not have cut off the throw from the outfield. Arozarena would have been out.

GO RAYS!

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:02 AM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
What a finish! If you like baseball and haven't seen this play, Google it and watch.

Dodger first baseman Muncy should not have cut off the throw from the outfield. Arozarena would have been out.
I don't think the throw was online, and would've pulled the catcher off the plate. I suppose you're right because then he wouldn't have tried the sweep tag where he lost the ball, but Arozarena only would've been out because he had fallen, which neither the C or 1B knew. So I think the Muncy made the right baseball move, even if it didn't work out.

I think the C should've had a little better peripheral vision to know Arozarena wasn't bearing down on him, or the P should've yelled it to him. Lots of crowd noise though.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:29 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I don't think the throw was online, and would've pulled the catcher off the plate. I suppose you're right because then he wouldn't have tried the sweep tag where he lost the ball, but Arozarena only would've been out because he had fallen, which neither the C or 1B knew. So I think the Muncy made the right baseball move, even if it didn't work out.

I think the C should've had a little better peripheral vision to know Arozarena wasn't bearing down on him, or the P should've yelled it to him. Lots of crowd noise though.
The catcher had already left the plate and was set up well off the plate to catch Taylor's throw. I suppose Muncy was doing his job with the cutoff although it is also the catcher's job to yell "cut" or not yell it. I'm guessing he did not yell "cut" given that Muncy was maybe only 35-40 feet away and his catch and relay would complicate and slow down the play. But like you said, crowd noise and chaos was a huge factor.

Old 10-25-2020, 11:43 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Yes it was quite the clinic in fielding, catching and base running. Oh yes and clutch hitting with two out in the bottom of the ninth, two strikes and a .117 two-strike hitter at the plate.
I loved it when they showed Brett Phillips gleefully airplaneing around in the outfield with his teammates chasing him after he had gotten the game winning hit.

Old 10-27-2020, 06:15 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

The worse thing about the WS is having to listen to Joe Buck the entire game... How annoying.

I just hit the mute button when I've heard enough of Buck which is usually by the end of the second inning. This guy can talk all night and never say anything worth hearing! I really wish I could just mute his talking and not the rest of the game noise.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:29 PM   #134

Quote:
The worse thing about the WS is having to listen to Joe Buck the entire game... How annoying.

I just hit the mute button when I've heard enough of Buck which is usually by the end of the second inning. This guy can talk all night and never say anything worth hearing! I really wish I could just mute his talking and not the rest of the game noise.
I was at that point, then the next day he did a football game! DW left the room and couldn't take it anymore. There must be other announcers, but then I recalled how poor the ESPN announcers are.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:36 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
I loved it when they showed Brett Phillips gleefully airplaneing around in the outfield with his teammates chasing him after he had gotten the game winning hit.
I'm a life long Dodger fan, and I was banging my head on the coffee table after that play. But I still enjoyed seeing Brett Phillips. That was classic!
Old 10-27-2020, 07:05 PM   #136

Quote:

Totally agree. And we've suffered listening to him for years and years. He's the least excitable play by play announcer I've ever heard. Game seven of the world series could be won on an inside the park home run in the bottom of the ninth and Joe Buck would hardly change his cadence when delivering the play-by-play.

Another annoying thing he does is describe the play when the batter makes contact by starting most of his sentences with a long, drawn out, T-h-a-a-a-t.
"T-h-h-a-a-a-a-t's.... a line drive to left field." "T-h-a-a-a-a-t's....a fly ball to center." "T-h-h-a-a-a-a-t's.....a foul ball."

As long as we're on the subject, John Smoltz sure does like to hear himself talk. He is knowledgeable, but really, shut up every once in a while!

Old 10-27-2020, 07:38 PM   #137
Moderator Emeritus

Joe Buck = closed captioning.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:23 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Woohoo! With an asterisk, but who cares?
Old 10-28-2020, 10:43 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Woohoo! With an asterisk, but who cares?
Agreed. If the Rays would have won I would have considered it legit.

There is something to be said for that extra round of the playoffs, playing straight through each playoff series without a day off, playing on a neutral site, playing in a bubble, etc. All these stress factors diminish the size of the asterisk.

Old 10-28-2020, 12:35 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Joe Buck = closed captioning.
Yes, the commentary was poor. I grew up listening to Vin Scully call the Dodger games. We would bring our transistor radios and ear peice with us to hear him call the game while we sat watching and cheering in the right field bleachers ($2 a seat back then) .

Buck: Aaa... line drive. Fair ball. Home run for Bellinger.

Scully: Line drive down the left field line! If it's fair it's gone! The crowd will tell you.
[Pause....... then Dodger stadium erupts in cheers] [Scully says nothing for a few more seconds as the fans soak in the excitement.]
Scully: Bellinger hits a bullet into the left field corner to move the Dodgers ahead.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote