Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-03-2021, 07:12 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And baseball in snow!

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2021, 05:32 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I don't watch a lot of baseball and the way things are going this year it will probably be even less...

I did watch the first Texas Ranger home game today. Why?

(1) Well, it was suppose to be the first game in a year that would be allowing full fan attendance. It was pretty full.

(2) Our governor (Abbott) was suppose to throw out the first pitch, but he balked and decided against it....
Old 05-28-2021, 08:41 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Can't beat funny play at the old ballpark:

Old 05-29-2021, 06:04 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

^^^ Unbelievable. A buddy of mine is a lifelong Pirates fan (and I lived in Chicago for 26 years) - he was not amused at all…

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 06:13 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

^^^^^

They replayed that a number of times on the news yesterday... Hilarious comedy of errors..
Old 05-29-2021, 07:45 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

^^^^^
Seems like very smart moves by Baez that completely faked out the first base guy, but I doubt this will ever work again now that everyone in baseball has seen this!
lucky penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:16 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

The funniest part I think is Baez giving the safe sign by home plate, then still having to scoot down to 1st base for the run to count.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:21 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I grew up a Twins fan, but not a passionate baseball fan. We have an independent professional league team here that has been mediocre for years. This we also have a new team starting up that belongs to a new league started a few years ago made up of college baseball players from all over the US. They will use wooden bats and play at our local college’s field. We have tickets to the first game - looking forward to it.
JRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:32 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I love baseball and I really enjoy going to games in person. But the game takes too long and it is getting worse. Four hours is just too long for a sporting event. I know that have done a few things to shorten the game but so far it is not enough.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 02:11 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If I were the Pirates manager, Derek Shelton, I would have pulled the first baseman, Craig, after that play.

The third out is almost always best made as a force play at first base. An exception would be a force play at another base IF the ball is hit in the vicinity of that base.

The only thing the first baseman needed to do was trot back to first base with the ball and step on it. In fact, he could have watched the runner from third base step on home plate, stare at Javier Baez standing halfway between home and first base for as long as he cared to, then trotted over to first base and stepped on it to end the inning. No run would have scored. The defense should NEVER try for a tag play on the third out of the inning if you can get a force play.

I woulda benched that first baseman. I would have chewed out the catcher for not leading the second baseman with his throw to first base. Instead the catcher threw AT the second baseman who was in motion to cover first base. Had they gotten the force out at that time, again, the run wouldn't have scored. And Javy Baez MUST touch first base safely or the run doesn't score. Furthermore, if Baez had touched home plate when he was retreating, he would have been out. AND even more, when Baez turned to run to first base, Craig could have been called for obstruction.

Oh, yeah. Everybody has seen the blunder play where Javy Baez gets in a rundown between home and first base. The ironic thing is that the runner at second that eventually scored on the blunder had been picked off of first base but the first baseman, Craig, elected not to throw to second for the attempted tag out of the runner. That put Contreras in a position to score the run on the mistake by Craig. Furthermore, if the Pirates hadn't thrown the ball around allowing Baez to advance to 2nd base, the next batter's single to shallow center wouldn't have scored Baez.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:13 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Sad to say, but looks like the sticky substances on baseballs in now the pitchers' turn to cheat.

You think there's a relation to doctored baseballs and 6 no-hitters this year? Just sayin' .
Quote:
Become a gameday compliance monitor for Major League Baseball. That’s the official title. Informally, you will be known as the Sticky Ball Guy.
All you have to do is lurk around the ballpark trying to catch the cheaters who are gooing up the national pastime. Baseball has been overrun by pitchers loading up baseballs with tacky substances, using the illegally added traction to make them all but unhittable.
As a Sticky Ball Guy (or Gal), you could make good money, up to $83,000 per year. You could also wind up duct-taped to the left-field foul pole in your underwear.
One way to avoid angering the players you’re snooping on is to not find any wrongdoing. The gameday compliance monitors have been on the job since Opening Day, and so far zero cheaters have been hauled up on charges. These monitors must be in the same union as the NBA’s flop police.
Meanwhile, MLB is on pace to achieve all-time records for lowest overall batting average and highest overall strikeout rate. And highest all-time boredom levels.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/o...r-16229028.php
Old 06-09-2021, 12:00 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

We’re headed to our first game of the season tonight - college level. Will be hot, but should be fun.
JRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:11 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRon View Post
I grew up a Twins fan, but not a passionate baseball fan. We have an independent professional league team here that has been mediocre for years. This we also have a new team starting up that belongs to a new league started a few years ago made up of college baseball players from all over the US. They will use wooden bats and play at our local college’s field. We have tickets to the first game - looking forward to it.
JRon,
The Saints are now the Twins AAA team I believe. Should be much better baseball. I haven't gotten over there yet, but my friend lives near there, and will get me to a game or two.

On a side note: I'm surprised how difficult and expensive MLB makes it to watch a game on TV. I think cable or ATT are the only choices.
I was getting it on Hulu plus last season.

They talk big about getting kids interested, but making it difficult to watch reduces their fan base of all ages. I quit paying the higher costs, and just start doing other things.

Take care,. JP
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:10 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Rizzo, Bryant, Baez and Kimbrel gone from Cubs?

As if a pandemic wasn’t enough torture.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:44 PM   #35

the cubs have been my team since the mid 60's. if i still cared i'd be very upset at this news.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:49 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
the cubs have been my team since the mid 60's. if i still cared i'd be very upset at this news.
That's me, too. I woke up in October 2016. I remember hearing experts say this may be the start of a dynasty, but that didn't last.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:50 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Rizzo, Bryant, Baez and Kimbrel gone from Cubs?

As if a pandemic wasn’t enough torture.

The St. Valentine's Day Massacre in July.

Looks like I'm a free agent fan now as for what team to cheer for.
Old 07-30-2021, 05:03 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
That's me, too. I woke up in October 2016. I remember hearing experts say this may be the start of a dynasty, but that didn't last.
i'm grateful that i lived long enough to see them win it all. the whole series but esspecially the last play in game 7 is something i'll always remember. good memories offset the now bitter taste.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Baseball 2021
Old 07-30-2021, 05:08 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Baseball 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
The St. Valentine's Day Massacre in July.

Looks like I'm a free agent fan now as for what team to cheer for.

Simple for me. I lived for a while in Boston and worked near Fenway. The end of those two lonnng droughts (one in AL, one in NL) was amazing!

[ADDED] The Red Sox were especially sweet because they came back from 0-3 against the damn (sadly now Rizzo’s) Yankees!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:14 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
i'm grateful that i lived long enough to see them win it all. the whole series but esspecially the last play in game 7 is something i'll always remember. good memories offset the now bitter taste.
Right. I'm not saying it doesn't matter if they never win another in my lifetime, but I'm sure glad to get that one and not have to hear about how long it had been.

I was only 7 for 1969 so while I was aware of what happened, mostly because of older brothers, it wasn't a big deal. 1984 hurt. 2-0 in a best of 5 NLCS and they blew it. Getting by the Tigers would've been hard though.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote