Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-21-2016, 07:36 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ting has a nice dashboard that lets you see usage and what the current bill is. Very nice.

Also, I learned is to turn off 'Background App Refresh' on my iPhone as it uses a good mount of data and power. And I really don't need my apps refreshing until I actually use them.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2016, 07:44 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Ting is just $6 per month (plus a little in taxes or whatever) if you don't use any minutes/texts/data.

The first 1-100 minutes of voice (all you seem to be interested in) will be charged an added $3. So depending how 'occasional' that usage is, it might be pretty cheap.

I still have my grandfathered T-Mobile Gold Plan and just $10 a year keeps them active and the minutes roll forward. But no longer offered. I'm going to keep these phones after I switch to a smart phone and data plan, I figure maybe throw them in the glove box of the car as a backup.

You can bring any unlocked GSM phone to Ting (AT&T uses GSM format, but some AT&T phones may be 'locked' to AT&T, but you might be able to unlock them).

Might be cheaper alternatives, but that is what I am aware of at this time.

-ERD50
+1 on Ting. Worth adding that they support the CDMA format as well, if that's what you prefer. I do because the reception where I live is vastly better through CDMA than GSM. Also worth adding that you can have multiple phones that all share the allotment of minutes. Same fee structure for messages and data. For me, it's the most versatile approach that have ever come across.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:54 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
+1 on Ting. Worth adding that they support the CDMA format as well, if that's what you prefer. I do because the reception where I live is vastly better through CDMA than GSM. Also worth adding that you can have multiple phones that all share the allotment of minutes. Same fee structure for messages and data. For me, it's the most versatile approach that have ever come across.
You can also take your Ting phone overseas, if it's GSM, and use it - without having to buy a special plan. But, you do pay an extra fee above the domestic Ting rates. A convenience and not to costly if you don't use the phone much. Otherwise, get a sim card from the country you are in.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:38 PM   #24

The phone is now on sale for $20, one year of service, 800 minutes of talk service. I can't see it getting easier or cheaper than this.

https://shopcelldeals.com/collection...iant=258502394
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:44 PM   #25

I have ringplus and pay no fee if my usage is below the monthly thresholds on my plan (500 MB data and I think 1000 min voice). Since I believe that Sprint is their provider, you will need a sprint compatible phone to activate with them.

I have purchased phones from ting. And either used them on Ting or transferred them to Ringplus.

That all being said, Ringplus is a bit goofy if you use it for voice in that you will hear ringplus ads instead of the traditional ringing signal when an outgoing call is made. It is also a prepaid service.

Ting may be simpler if Aunt can afford the $5-$11 /month.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:55 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
My wife is trying to help her 94 YO aunt. She inadvertently let her cell plan expire. She lives in a small town and has a landline for her med alert pendant but wants a cell phone for backup. Her old plan was a pay/go on ATT but was told they no longer support that plan or her old flip phone.
Any suggestions on which service has cheapest simple plan for a cell phone that is only used occasionally for voice only?
See if you can find a Tracfone flip phone that works on Verizon. In the store, you can tell because the USA map on the front of the box will be red.

Or look into Page Plus; they use Verizon's network.

I have and do use other service, but to me, if I had to have only one phone, it would be Verizon.
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:02 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Given that the aunt is 94, I'd guess that she might have difficulty with the miniscule size of today's flip phones, their screens and buttons. Let me make a suggestion - the Jitterbug Flip. The phone isn't cheap ($99 list, cheaper on Amazon) but a basic 200 minutes plan is $14.99/mo. It operates on the Verizon network.

I recently reviewed one of these for Amazon Vine and was very impressed with the ease of use of the phone, especially for the vision or mobility impaired. The phone, screen and buttons are large and there are no complex menus. Of particular interest is the dedicated "5Star" button which, if you don't pay for the 5Star service (connects you to a dedicated operator who has info on you and can locate you) calls 911.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:24 AM   #28

Pure Talk Cellular. Affiliated with AT&T. $10 a month for the first phone and another $5 for a second phone. Me and DW have 'em and never run out of minutes.

Two cell phones for $15 a month!! We have had them now for almost 4 years.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote