Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-25-2020, 11:32 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I still recall finally being able to afford a towel that was not only soft but big enough to actually wrap around my entire body. That was one of the days I knew I had "arrived."
Nice quality towels are one of those luxuries I'm willing to spend good money on. That said, I bought bath "sheets" one year for Christmas thinking I was really splurging. Neither my wife nor myself liked them. They were soft and good quality, but were so large and heavy they were difficult to dry with. They may have worked well as a beach towel, but as a daily dryer they were too much. We both agreed we would stick to regular size bath towels from that day forward.

I don't have any specific recommendations. I think our last set was from Bed Bath and Beyond, nothing too over the top, just their better quality plain towels.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2020, 09:00 AM   #22

Oh please, let's include sheets on this thread. I hate to start a new thread when these items are closely related.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:54 AM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Oh please, let's include sheets on this thread. I hate to start a new thread when these items are closely related.
For sheets, we're hooked on Brooklinen.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:25 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
100% Viscose bamboo. Soft, 3* cooler than cotton, anti-microbial.

I don't use them in the winter or I'd freeze.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:48 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Isn't an old towel better than a new one?
My old towels are a bit rough, but I get a poor man's dermabrasion each use.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:03 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterscik View Post
We really like the bath sheets by Charisma sold by Costco
https://www.costco.com/charisma-100-...100400099.html
Two towels for $20. They have them in our warehouse for even better prices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We bought some of these, and my main complaint is that they just generated a lot of fuzz. It took a long time and many washes to get that fuzz off.

I see some other reviewers had the same complaint. See review titled "Very soft & full but got lint over everything" very much our experience.
We purchased these towels last year, and other than the typical "shedding" in the first few dryer loads, they have been pretty good for the price.

Unlike some more expensive towels we've purchased in the past, these haven't been "threading" on us (little bits of thread sticking out in places). Nothing more frustrating than spending $20-30 per towel, and they start threading out in less than a month.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:12 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

These would appear to be the current version of what I have. Mine are "Supima" cotton and these say they are "Aegean", so not sure, but the dimensions of the bath sheet matches up. I've had mine for ~15 years and they've been great. Plenty soft, but don't take forever to dry after use / washing. I never use fabric softener. Mine are fraying around the edges now, so this is a timely thread. I have been enjoying bamboo (rayon) sheets, so I might explore my options, but if I came across a good price on these towels, I would just get them again and hope they're the same quality as what I have now.

https://kassatex.com/products/atelie...UaApvIEALw_wcB

Funny note; without realizing it, I bought my most recent set of sheets from this site. I have their bamboo sateen style and I like them a lot, except that the pillow cases are too small for my large pillow. Also, I've had to trim quite a few loose threads so I hope the sheets hold up. I've had them for a year.
NoiseBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:14 PM   #28

My lands end towels took more than a day to dry on the towel rack. No thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
+1

The Costco towels are good, but Land's End's are even better.

Stay away from the designer towels at JCP - they shed lint like a Golden Retriever does hair.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:50 PM   #29
gone traveling

Linen for sheets.
Brooklinen. https://www.brooklinen.com/collections/linen-sheets
Restoration Hardware. https://rh.com/catalog/category/coll...Id=cat16360015
The Citizenry. https://www.the-citizenry.com/collec...ts-pillowcases
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Brooklinen and Restoration Hardware look good. Don't love the stonewashed look from the Citizenry. Must say, a bit expensive but if they last and are like Four Seasons sheets, I'm in.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:17 PM   #31

We got Brooklinen's Super-Plush bath towels and robes as a treat last year and we LOVE them. Giant, abosrbent, soft, warm, literally the best towel experience I've ever had... :P Yeah, that sounds like a thing people of a certain age say, lol. Ah well, it is true.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:06 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

We have Real Simple bath sheet size towels, their quick dry version. Purchased 2 sets from Bed Bath and Beyond years ago. Love them. I don't see those towels on BB&B website today.

I do not care for thick towels because they take so long to dry. Avoid those with a woven band at the end because they shrink differently (pucker) than the terry part of the towel over time.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:20 PM   #33
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I do not care for thick towels because they take so long to dry.
Leave moldy Portland and move to arid Phoenix.
Done.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:43 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Humm, the moldest place in my experience is Pacific City, CA. Actually we have low humidity, our moisture falls in the form of rain. If you live in Berkeley you may be above the San Francisco fog zone where mold would be an issue. Why do I know? My son and his wife graduated from Cal Maritime, right on the bay.

I don't know about you but I dry my clothes in a dryer. I just don't want the dryer to run on and on. The dryer costs money to operate, the moisture removed condenses and it heats up the laundry room.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:47 PM   #35

I'm always intrigued by these sorts of comments.
The highest humidity I've ever lived in was in the St. Louis MO area.

I used to take visitors up to the top of the Arch there and they were always surprised that they were able to see so little because of all the moisture rising up from the farm fields all around.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:54 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Has anyone tried "My Pillow" Towels, Sheets or pillows?
Bruno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:20 AM   #37

The comment about moisture and humidity is a good one. We have different "sets" of towels, since where we live experiences temps varying over 100 degrees throughout the seasons and humidity down to lip chapping levels all the way up "butt sweating" levels...

Soo, we have some thick Wal-mart brand towels. We just got delivered some bathroom "sheets" which I had never heard of before...these things are literally larger than I knew existed... but I can see their purpose for the big fellas.

We will give them a shot this winter...nice to wrap around a whole bunch of fabric.

In maui, we went real light and white feng shui, here in the north woods we go dark blues and bronwns...

ben linen is a whole other thread...

We've found the more the better and we usually cycle them from kids/us to house towel, to garage towel, to doneskie! I can cut em up into pieces and they last...well too long.

We exercise a lot and therefore sweat a lot..so we replace them when they start to smell like a gym bag.
Old 09-03-2020, 11:59 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Our towels have been smelling very sour lately. These towels are < 2 years old. I went to Google and found some solutions. 1. Never use fabric softener on towels. 2. Clean HE Washer with tablets designed for Machine. 3. Wash clean towels in hot water with 1cup of vinegar. 4. Wash again in hot water with 1/2 cup baking soda.
5. Dry thoroughly. My towels smell great now. Just finished this process on all our towels.
If you want towels to be soft and fluffy, wool Dryer balls can be put in dryer with the towels. Also supposed to reduce drying time. Amazon should be delivering mine today.
whatnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:15 AM   #39
Dryer sheet wannabe

I like Company Store. Always visit the sale section, especially if you're not picky about having all the linens (washcloth, hand towel, bath sheet, rug) in exactly the same color & texture.
CrazyHamsterLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 01:16 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Think about what you want. Do you want bath towels or bath sheets. I use bath sheets for the shower but use a bath towel for my hair.

We recently bought entirely new towels because we had remodeled. The designer suggested white towels and we went with that with a grey embroidered stripe. There were from Bed Bath and Beyond I looked at them in the store and loved them because they were thick and seemed like they would last.

Well. I gotta tell you. I hate these towels. I don't actually like the white towels. While colors are hard in my bathroom due to design, I just don't like white towels. They show everything no matter how minor. Have a slight scratch and get a little blood on the towel and it looks awful. While I don't want to use dirty towels, I don't like it when I have something like the aforesaid tiny scratch and make the mistake of washing it and then drying with the towel.

Even worse, I really don't like the thickness of the towels. It is too much. The towels we had before were not thin by any means. I realize now they were just right (from Target actually -- don't recall brand). These are just so thick and heavy it tires me just to take them from the bathroom to the utility room because they are so heavy. They are hard to dry with also since they are so heavy.

Of course, I want to replace them. But I bought a lot of stuff for the bathroom set (bath sheets, bath towels, hand towels). So we are talking about $400 (after my 20% discount at Bed Bath & Beyond) and they are 10 months old. Haven't decided how long I want to stay annoyed by them....
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote