Join Early Retirement Today

Bathroom Exhaust Fan
Old 04-01-2022, 09:12 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bathroom Exhaust Fan

One of our two bathroom renovation projects is just about nearly completed - just a couple of smaller punch list items remain.

One of the things we had replaced was the exhaust fan which was old (I believe from the 1970s), noisy as all heck and inconveniently configured (you had to pull on a draw string to operate it rather than operate it from a wall switch). Thing is, the new exhaust fan has a damper which flips open and closed often when the fan isn't on. I live in a 31-story condo complex and it's not unusual for there to be cross currents that flow through the vent shaft at any given time. If the damper doesn't stay shut when the fan is off, then the dust and other debris that exists in that shaft makes their way into our apartment and things get dusty pretty fast.

I was thinking of buying this car cabin filter and re-purposing it for the fan:

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Basics.../dp/B07TYLNLF4

Because the fan wasn't designed to have a filter, I'm concerned that trying to place a filter between the fan itself and the cover will end up burning out the fan motor or something.

Anyone have any feedback about this? Thanks in advance.
Vincenzo Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2022, 09:27 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I know SFH's fan attached to outside. Not sure your condo. But I can see it could burn the motor. If you want filter, I would say to buy thin filter sheet and cut use. the car one could be too heavy not to be sucked with fan motor.
retire to nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 09:32 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

One option would be to add a motorized damper, so the vent is electrically closed when the fan is not on. Like this one
tfudtuckerpucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 09:46 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Have you talked with the installer to see what options they think would be best? Have you called the manufacturer to see what they suggest?

I wonder if you could add a weak spring or even elastic to the damper that keeps it closed when off but that the airflow would open when it is on.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 10:07 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Cabin air filters seem to be exorbitantly priced. I’d try some washable cut to size filter fabric.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:19 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I would go with a cheap low cost furnace filter to not impede the airflow too much.
It would cut down on how well the exhaust fan works, so if that is a concern, I'd go with a powerful one.
I'm not sure it would burn out the motor as the fan is not connected, and will spin at it's normal speed, the air will flow slower due to back pressure. These fans last a long time normally for me ~20+ years, so even if it dies after 15 yrs, it could be worth it. Just replace the motor.

I would not bother with the lighter fiberglass furnace filters as I don't think they stop dust.

example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-16-x...1625/314671403
Old 04-01-2022, 11:50 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Getting a loan for my car since interest rates are still relatively low and I can get better returns on my cash if I stick it in the market. But I was going to put a nice sized downpayment down as well. I wonder if the stealership will take credit card, and if they charge a fee for the down payment. I'll have to look at that. Would be nice to get some cash back rewards on that large downpayment, but not at the cost of a card processing fee.
Old 04-01-2022, 01:26 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Getting a loan for my car since interest rates are still relatively low and I can get better returns on my cash if I stick it in the market. But I was going to put a nice sized downpayment down as well. I wonder if the stealership will take credit card, and if they charge a fee for the down payment. I'll have to look at that. Would be nice to get some cash back rewards on that large downpayment, but not at the cost of a card processing fee.
That's nice. Does it have a bathroom fan?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 01:48 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I was thinking the same thing... posted to the wrong thread methinks. I've done that before.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 04:13 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I was thinking the same thing... posted to the wrong thread methinks. I've done that before.
I was wondering if RobbieB put wrong reply on my post. this may be possible. or pain in joints was a nice catch?
retire to nature is offline   Reply With Quote