Bathroom Exhaust Fan

Vincenzo Corleone

Full time employment: Posting here.
One of our two bathroom renovation projects is just about nearly completed - just a couple of smaller punch list items remain.

One of the things we had replaced was the exhaust fan which was old (I believe from the 1970s), noisy as all heck and inconveniently configured (you had to pull on a draw string to operate it rather than operate it from a wall switch). Thing is, the new exhaust fan has a damper which flips open and closed often when the fan isn't on. I live in a 31-story condo complex and it's not unusual for there to be cross currents that flow through the vent shaft at any given time. If the damper doesn't stay shut when the fan is off, then the dust and other debris that exists in that shaft makes their way into our apartment and things get dusty pretty fast.

I was thinking of buying this car cabin filter and re-purposing it for the fan:

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Basics-Activated-CF10728-Hyundai/dp/B07TYLNLF4

Because the fan wasn't designed to have a filter, I'm concerned that trying to place a filter between the fan itself and the cover will end up burning out the fan motor or something.

Anyone have any feedback about this? Thanks in advance.

I know SFH's fan attached to outside. Not sure your condo. But I can see it could burn the motor. If you want filter, I would say to buy thin filter sheet and cut use. the car one could be too heavy not to be sucked with fan motor.

Have you talked with the installer to see what options they think would be best? Have you called the manufacturer to see what they suggest?

I wonder if you could add a weak spring or even elastic to the damper that keeps it closed when off but that the airflow would open when it is on.

Cabin air filters seem to be exorbitantly priced. I’d try some washable cut to size filter fabric.

I would go with a cheap low cost furnace filter to not impede the airflow too much.
It would cut down on how well the exhaust fan works, so if that is a concern, I'd go with a powerful one.
I'm not sure it would burn out the motor as the fan is not connected, and will spin at it's normal speed, the air will flow slower due to back pressure. These fans last a long time normally for me ~20+ years, so even if it dies after 15 yrs, it could be worth it. Just replace the motor.

I would not bother with the lighter fiberglass furnace filters as I don't think they stop dust.

example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-16-x-25-x-1-Standard-Pleated-Air-Filter-FPR-5-HDX1P5-011625/314671403

Getting a loan for my car since interest rates are still relatively low and I can get better returns on my cash if I stick it in the market. But I was going to put a nice sized downpayment down as well. I wonder if the stealership will take credit card, and if they charge a fee for the down payment. I'll have to look at that. Would be nice to get some cash back rewards on that large downpayment, but not at the cost of a card processing fee.

Getting a loan for my car since interest rates are still relatively low and I can get better returns on my cash if I stick it in the market. But I was going to put a nice sized downpayment down as well. I wonder if the stealership will take credit card, and if they charge a fee for the down payment. I'll have to look at that. Would be nice to get some cash back rewards on that large downpayment, but not at the cost of a card processing fee.
That's nice. Does it have a bathroom fan? :cool:

I was thinking the same thing... posted to the wrong thread methinks. I've done that before. :D

Back
Top Bottom