Bathroom remodel - Is a tub important?

I am considering replacing this with no-lip walk in shower and then a separate small Japanese style soaking tub.
I would personally like that idea. To have the option of taking a bath (what is someone has an injury and would prefer to sit and bathe) and to have a large tub available for hand washing large items.

... One other thing that we did not know....it was a city bylaw or something that each home had to have one bathtub. Strange, but that is what she told us

I'm skeptical of that claim and would want to see the ordinance... it sounds more like an urban myth to me.

My understanding is that a dwelling must have a tub or a shower, but no requirement to have a tub... if anyone tells you differently ask them for the code or ordinance.

Last edited:
OP - regarding the shower being unfriendly to the logs, could you protect the logs by having a clear glass wall in front of the logs ?

Brilliant idea! Since glass walls will be in order anyway for shower stall, one more side of glass should be only nominally more expense. And still be able to see the beauty of the log walls through it while taking a shower. :)

I am in the midst of a renovation replacing our massive, deep tub/jacuzzi with a walk in/roll in shower. We plan to age in space. If our real estate market remains as crazy as it has been it won't effect resale value by a lot. It will be out daughter's issue anyway.

I don’t think it matters one bit. If someone really wants a tub, they can put one back in.

When we were looking at this issue, I talked with the contractor who does the majority of home renovations in my neighborhood. He laughed and said that about 20 years ago he was remodeling bathrooms to put in Jacuzzi style tubs, and now he's ripping them all out to put in walk-in showers.

We were also told by a realtor that a tub is required by law, but that turned out to be untrue. Apparently they are stuck on this point as it would expand the number of potential buyers, but it's essentially irrelevant where we live (mostly empty nesters).

The question is whether you have a tub in the rest of the house. The general rule of thumb I was told was that you want one bathroom with a tub. It does not have to be the master. This is because some people want tubs for small children. We have a guest bath with a tub/shower combo so when we remodeled our master bath we completely got rid of the tub and have a large walk in shower (no lip). We don't regret it. When we were looking for houses we did see a couple where the master had no tub and it was a plus for us. Of course, some people absolutely do want a tub in the master but most really don't want one or don't care (i.e. they never use tub).

Anyway if you have another bathroom with a tub then I wouldn't (and didn't) worry about having any in the master bath. If you don't have another with a tub then I would have a separate tub in master if possible.

+1. And almost word for word what our realtor also told us when we asked same. We converted an ugly tub/shower combo in the master bath to a walk in shower only. We still have a tub in the bathroom closest to our other bedrooms.

Which I have used. Once. In four years. :LOL:

We bought a tiny house (1150 sf) & chose the shower. We maxed the space both directions and have never regretted it.

Still needs glass though.

Attachments

• IMG_20190404_104431.jpg
    IMG_20190404_104431.jpg
    476.7 KB · Views: 25
People that want a tub will notice. They will notice that there is no tub, but they typically will not notice is the 5' vs 6'.

We put in a small 5' oval hot tub. When people came to see our home they said "Oh there is a hot tub" not that it was a small one.

Janet,

Once people decide to buy your house (which they will when they walk in and see that kitchen) they will very easily compromise on the lack of a bath.

We're approaching this from a "bath/no-bath" and forgetting that most people decide yay or nay on a house in the first few seconds. I'd see that kitchen and the rest of the house would have to have major issues for me to change my mind.

By the time they've gotten to the bathroom, they've already envisioned their first party around your kitchen and fallen in love.

I would not want to buy a house without a tub. I love long hot baths. Also people with children want a bathtub.

+1. And almost word for word what our realtor also told us when we asked same. We converted an ugly tub/shower combo in the master bath to a walk in shower only. We still have a tub in the bathroom closest to our other bedrooms.

Which I have used. Once. In four years. :LOL:

Yes, realtors are stuck on houses having to have tubs... even to the point of fabricating an urban myth that a tub is required by code/law.... fortunately, their customers are not stuck on tubs.

Some say that families with young children would insist on having a tub. It never crossed our minds, but I'll concede that each of our homes had a tub... but when the kids were young we often just had them shower with us.

Our current home only has a tub because DW insisted on a jet tub when we rebuilt. That tub rarely gets used as a tub, but often as a shower. I used it last week when my elderly aunt was visiting us and we had her stay in our upstairs master bedroom so she wouldn't need to negotiate the stairs.

Our Florida condo has a tub in that master and when we renovate the bathroom that will be gone. It we ever need a tub for kids we'll get a big plastic tub and put it in the shower.

Your kitchen is gorgeous.
I would kill to have space for an island like that.

We replaced our only tub with a walk in shower. It's our tiny retirement house with only 1.5 baths.
No regrets. This 2 bedroom house will never attract a family. We're at the get what we want phase of life. Son can deal with it's sale down the road.

Attachments

• 20200621_112150.jpg
    20200621_112150.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 25
OP - regarding the shower being unfriendly to the logs, could you protect the logs by having a clear glass wall in front of the logs ?

I have toyed with this idea but am concerned that over time, crud might accumulate between a fixed glass panel and the logs, cobwebs, dust, etc with no way to clean it. I've even looked into having a hinged glass panel there so that it could be swung aside to vacuum the logs but can find no practical way to do this.

I figure I can add a good size shower where that tub is currently and then a small tub in the diagonal corner but the tub will need to be small.

Something along these lines:

tub_1.jpg

Bath_sketch.jpg

We replaced our only tub with a walk in shower. It's our tiny retirement house with only 1.5 baths.
No regrets. This 2 bedroom house will never attract a family. We're at the get what we want phase of life. Son can deal with it's sale down the road.

I would think that looking at your drawing, If you cut the length of your shower down to about the size of momotwo's, you could then put a little larger tub on that log wall and still have the cabinet at the end. You just wouldn't have the angled doorway. Our home has the large built in jetted jacuzzi, that has been used maybe 10 times in the 10 years we have been here. Probably 4 or 5 of those times were when our DGD wanted it fikked with bubble bath for her. But as has been said it is your house so you do you.:cool:

I have toyed with this idea but am concerned that over time, crud might accumulate between a fixed glass panel and the logs, cobwebs, dust, etc with no way to clean it. I've even looked into having a hinged glass panel there so that it could be swung aside to vacuum the logs but can find no practical way to do this.

I figure I can add a good size shower where that tub is currently and then a small tub in the diagonal corner but the tub will need to be small.

Something along these lines:

View attachment 40299

View attachment 40300

JMO but that looks expensive and not very useful..

I thought about that, after I earlier endorsed the idea of a glass panel on the log wall side. You are exactly right, no way to clean the dust/bugs/crude that would inevitably accumulate on the back side of the glass next to the logs.

This is why I am not a bathroom designer.

Yeah, you could sit in there with your knees up to your chin...

For those that have never used one, Japanese soaking tubs are wonderful.

Is that what you call this kind of tub? They don't seem optimal for bathing kids, which is the reason people here are saying you have to have a tub.

Is that what you call this kind of tub? They don't seem optimal for bathing kids, which is the reason people here are saying you have to have a tub.

It is what the OP specified in the, err, OP:

Looking for general opinions about a bathroom reno project..

This winters plans for "the house of many projects" includes a reno of the main bathroom which currently has double sinks, toilet and a large jetted tub that needs to go. It is the only tub in the house but it has no shower. I am considering replacing this with no-lip walk in shower and then a separate small Japanese style soaking tub. [Emphasis added]

Space limitations will not accommodate a large tub and a separate shower and there is the added problem of this being a log house. One wall of the room is bare logs - not shower friendly (likely why there was never a shower here before).

How important do you think a tub is to maintain house value?

The soaking tub size that would fit in this space is fairly small - nice for kids or dogs and maybe tiny people.

Is a tiny but deep tub better than none at all?

I would say that the one she posted is a good approximation of one.

Not interested in flipping...

This house is in a lovely area on 5 acres - built in 1991. The bath is original. We intent to stay here until we can't maintain the place.

If you're not planning on moving soon then do exactly what you want and don't worry about a potential buyer years or decades in the future.

It's your house, not a stranger's house.

Back
Top Bottom